PDA

View Full Version : Odd telephone problem

February 22nd, 2009, 17:18
My boyfriend was recently given an old computer and wanted to get online for the first time. He lives in an isolated part of Ratchaburi, beyond the reach of Broadband, and didn't have a landline in his home.

Even getting the landline connected wasn't easy but he now has a telephone line. I always call him on his mobile but it would be useful to have a second method of contacting him so he gave me the landline number.

But whatever I try I always get someone else's phone. It's always a Thai number but never his.

According to all the instructions I've read I have to use the International code for Thailand (0066) and the local code for Ratchaburi (032) and then the six figure number. But it's never works, it seems to make no difference if I omit the "0" of the local code or not.

I've checked the number with him repeatedly.

Any ideas?

February 22nd, 2009, 17:40
where are you calling from and are you using a mobile or land line

From the UK and I've tried on a mobile and a landline.

catawampuscat
February 22nd, 2009, 17:54
Of course no one here can give you the answer but since the subject
is odd telephone problems, here goes..

I sometimes get wrong numbers when a Thai person calls my mobile.
I tell them in English and Thai that they reached a wrong number.
My experience, is that they call back over and over and just don't get it.

One time, a lad with some English got angry and wanted to know why I
had his mother's telephone. It was actually comical and I usually have to
put a Thai boy on the line when it happens over and over and it takes them
ten minutes to explain and chat away about where they are calling from and
so on. It is no doubt the polite way to do it rather than just hang up..

Perhaps, Jon the landline is in a neightbor's house or maybe a shared line or maybe some one living in the house who doesn't understand you and perhaps, not.. :cat:

February 22nd, 2009, 18:05
maybe a shared line or maybe some one living in the house who doesn't understand you and perhaps, not.

As my boyfriend lives on his own it's not someone else in the house. However having seen the tangle of telephone lines that were in the vicinity of his house just before he had the line connected I'm quite prepared to believe that it's some problem at the Thai end.

I've tried to get him to tell me if anyone has managed to call him on the landline but he doesn't understand what I mean. He actually seems afraid of it as he's convinced it will cost him money if he uses it.

Hmmm
February 22nd, 2009, 19:35
It sounds like you're doing the right thing.

The 0 is dropped, unless you're in Thailand, so it is:
+61 32 etc

From the UK with international code 00, that makes it
00 61 32 etc

Sounds like you're dealing with some 'additional' difficulties, but if he could call you from the landline or someone locally with caller ID, you'd he'd know for sure what the landline number is.

Come to think of it, he has a mobile. If so, he can call the mobile from the landline and check the displayed number.

February 22nd, 2009, 20:48
I've tried getting him to call my mobile but the number didn't display.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I suspect that the answer lies somewhere in the tangled wires out in rural Thailand.

x in pattaya
February 23rd, 2009, 00:18
It sounds like you're doing the right thing.

The 0 is dropped, unless you're in Thailand, so it is:
+61 32 etc

From the UK with international code 00, that makes it
00 61 32 etc

The country code is 66 not 61

February 23rd, 2009, 00:28
I always use this tool to help me dial my calls to Thailand. I can never remember what's what!

http://www.countrycallingcodes.com/

However it may not cover the area you're calling.

February 23rd, 2009, 09:32
There are several options for calling overseas from landlines in Thailand, and not all are implemented on all phones.

Start off with something very simple. Call from the landline to a Thai mobile in Thailand and see what is displayed.