PDA

View Full Version : Red Shirt Thugs stop Chiangmai gay Pride

February 22nd, 2009, 09:01
yeah we love the reds, now they show their attitiute :flower:

February 22nd, 2009, 09:46
FM: There's nothing of the sort on the Nation front page. It's just a bunch of trash. Ugggh. Did you see it? Like a British tabloid trying to go NY Post chic.

Nothing, anyway, seems to be working at the Nation website. Here's some news from elsewhere.

This is horrible news. Violence like this in Thailand?

News ┬╗ Local News
Red shirts stop gay parade, PAD forum
Published: 22/02/2009 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: News

The gay pride parade in Chiang Mai was cancelled yesterday after red-shirted demonstrators sealed off Buddha Satan where the parade was being set up.

Busaya Khunakornsawat, a coordinator for the 2009 Gay Pride Festival, said the organising committee had no choice but to cancel the event as it felt unsure about the safety of participants.

She said even though the event was called gay pride, it focused on promoting HIV/Aids awareness and sex education.

The organiser yesterday also called off the Miss Gay Pride contest when the red-shirted demonstrators stormed a shopping mall, the contest venue.

Hundreds of participants were locked in as demonstrators refused to leave.

Meanwhile in Chaiyaphum, people wearing red shirts yesterday blocked an entrance to a hotel in Muang district in a bid to thwart a People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) forum.

Hundreds of PAD supporters who were locked inside the hotel's convention hall did not seem bothered though. PAD leaders including Somkiat Pongpaiboon and Somsak Kosaisuk were left stranded outside the hotel.

A PAD representative said the group could sue Puea Thai MPs Prasit Chaiwirattana and Surawit Khomsomboon for damages if the PAD was forced to move the forum elsewhere.

The MPs mobilised people to block its forum, he said.

February 22nd, 2009, 10:19
Not Found

The requested URL /2009/02/22/national/national_30096290.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server at www.nationmultimedia.com (http://www.nationmultimedia.com) Port 80

Whatever? Anyway when the server gets back up I'll try to post it here.

February 22nd, 2009, 10:32
It apperas to me The Nation is changing it's format this morning (to the worse, for sure) but I'm finally past its server error messages

Red threats call off gay march
By THE NATION ON SUNDAY
Chiang Mai
Published on February 22, 2009

The second Gay Pride Parade here was called off late yesterday evening after a stand-off with a group of "Rak Chiang Mai 51" red-shirted demonstrators who were objecting to the public event.

The parade started from Buddha-sathan and was to head towards the Night Bazaar and end at the Tawan Trendy Mall, but organisers decided to call it off fearing violence.

Earlier in the evening, about 30 red-shirted protesters had confronted the organisers, forcing them to dismantle the stage erected near the mall to welcome the parade.

About 30 red-shirted protesters went to the Tawan Trendy Mall where a stage had been erected to welcome the Gay Pride Parade, scheduled to march from the Buddhasathan towards the Night Bazaar and to the mallThe protesters launched verbal attacks through a megaphone saying the event tarnished the city's reputation. They also reacted angrily to remarks made by the organisers that the "Rak Chiang Mai 51" group was acting like thugs.

The group vowed not to allow the event to be held in a public space. However, they had no objection to the venue being shifted to a hotel or conference room.

A few red-shirts also tried to break through police security in front of the stage to attack an organiser because they were upset that she had been taking their pictures.

After an hour of confrontation, the organisers agreed to dismantle the stage and cancel the activities in the area, to the disappointment of many, including tourists, who had been waiting to join the event. This was despite the security provided by 150 policemen.

Earlier yesterday, Petchawat Wattanapongsiri-kul, a leading member of the "Rak Chiang Mai 51" group said local residents disagreed with the parade as it was against the old city's culture and could tarnish its image. He said such an event should be held in Phuket or Pattaya, which were tourist entertainment cities. He said if the organisers wanted to spread the message about Aids then that should have been the main focus of the parade, not homosexuality. "Chiang Mai people cannot accept this and will stop the parade by all means, even violence."

Sureerat Trimakka, from the People Living With HIV/Aids Network in Thailand, said earlier yesterday that the parade had taken six months to organise and its participants were properly dressed. The idea was to increase public understanding about sexual diversity and equality as well as promoting awareness of HIV/Aids issues, she said.

February 22nd, 2009, 10:57
Interesting that the founder of the original Bangkok gay festival was instrumental in trying to get this march stopped. He lobbied the city authorities but failed to get it stopped legally. I wonder if he has any connection with these morons who threatened to stop the march by force.

Where did you find this story?

February 22nd, 2009, 11:25
The story you've posted originated in the ...

I didn't want to mention them. They're red shirt.

February 22nd, 2009, 15:32
Oh my goodness! Did they get Khor Tose? He's a big man on a high horse in the gay pride movement and sticks out like a sore prick anywhere he shows his face.

Red threats call off gay march
By THE NATION ON SUNDAY
Chiang Mai
Published on February 22, 2009

Earlier yesterday, Petchawat Wattanapongsiri-kul, a leading member of the "Rak Chiang Mai 51" group said local residents disagreed with the parade as it was against the old city's culture and could tarnish its image. He said such an event should be held in Phuket or Pattaya, which were tourist entertainment cities. He said if the organisers wanted to spread the message about Aids then that should have been the main focus of the parade, not homosexuality. "Chiang Mai people cannot accept this and will stop the parade by all means, even violence."

GWMinUS
February 22nd, 2009, 17:26
It is sad when Thai people cannot express their feelings in public.
I think the country is descending into rule by the mob.
Red or Yellow they are both ignoring the democratic processes.
It has been going on for months!!! First in BKK and now in Chiangmai.
Just another reasons for us who would travel there to stay home and sit on our failing USD...
George

February 22nd, 2009, 19:17
Best thing is not to go to Chiang Mai, don't spend your tourist dollars or Euros or whatever you have, just don't go there, lots of other places to go.

The front of that newspaper was a story of a foreigner being decapitated, his head hanging over the Rama XI bridge, well before anyone looks there was NOT an exact picture of the head, but strange thing to do.

jolyjacktar
February 23rd, 2009, 01:01
I use to go to Chiang mai with a partner and use the city as a nice place to go and chill out for a week or so. I never used any of the gay bars or clubs in the city if i had a partner with me as we used the hotel bar after spending the days on activities outside the city. So by the time we got back to the hotel a few drinks at the bar and we were ready for bed and up early for the next days adventure. So im not too sure how big a gay scean there is in the City. Im not the type of person for parades and marches but it seems a shame that the event was stopped so other people couldnt enjoy it. Unfortuneatly thats the way Thailand seems to be going over the last couple of years, if a group dont want or like then lets have a demo or fight. What a great pity.

February 23rd, 2009, 08:34
Interesting that the founder of the original Bangkok gay festivalWhere did you find this story?

For the record I have a Thai dancer/performer as the "founder" of the Bangkok Gay Festival (& Parade) and the one that FM speaks of as Thailand's most famous gay activist, though that distinction could wither away soon as I keep hearing things like that. Might help to start if I could at least read his "blogs" in Thai Puan but they're in Thai :-(

TrongpaiExpat
February 23rd, 2009, 13:58
It was on page 2 of the Nation Print edition yesterday. Fatman, don't waste your time responding to (being nice here) the confused posters.

It would be nice to hear from someone in Chiang Mai who could provide a first hand account, anyone?

I am in Pattaya now and last night at 1830 about 200 red shirt protesters were marching down Beach road making a lot of noise. What's the point? Most everyone would have to be tourests in that area.

TrongpaiExpat
February 25th, 2009, 11:14
Thai visa was just a slug fest with straights:

UOTE (Lobin @ 2009-02-05 10:04:31) *
110% agree with this, why do gays need to have parades? are you trying to advertise that you like a bit of bum fun or something?

we dont have heterosexual parades, is it some sort of recruiting mission?

people can be who they want to be, but this just doesnt make any sense.

True. I never saw white people marching for their civil rights. Or rich people protesting for economic fairness. And straights don't complain about hetero-bashing.

I enjoy being in a favored majority but I believe in free speech and all that librul stuff.

Don't worry. If it is a recruiting mission, it's voluntary. You won't get drafted (conscripted).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intolerance in Chiang Mai is the best by-line. I still can see why or how the 'red shirts' got involved? So the 'reds' now add anti gay to their platform?

cxn4shan, when you have the time a full report would be appreciated.

February 28th, 2009, 09:12
This little blurb actually made it all the way to SF's main gay weekly the B.A.R.
From the "Out There" column:

"Thai alert

From The Nation [Bangkok], dateline Chiang Mai, Thailand: "The second Gay Pride Parade here was called off late Saturday evening after a stand-off with a group of 'Rak Chiang Mai 51' red-shirted demonstrators who were objecting to the public event. About 30 red-shirted protesters went to the Tawan Trendy Mall, where a stage had been erected to welcome the Gay Pride Parade. The protesters launched verbal attacks through a megaphone, saying the event tarnished the city's reputation."

The red-shirts are supporters of ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra, and said to be complete thugs. This is the first time we're aware of that they've attacked anybody but the other political side."

Link:http://www.ebar.com/artscolumns/artcolumn.php?sec=outthere

BTW, the story did not make the mainstream press here.

February 28th, 2009, 11:32
Well I have a feeling February 21st (right?) will be a day long remembered.

February 28th, 2009, 14:06
Plus the organisers had their hearts in the right place, but should have stuck to the HIV prevention message and avoided anything else.

Agreed - I have never understood why HIV awareness and Gay Rights/Parades seem so often to be grouped together, leading to the natural conclusion that there is some sort of connection. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Brad the Impala
March 1st, 2009, 05:40
Plus the organisers had their hearts in the right place, but should have stuck to the HIV prevention message and avoided anything else.

Agreed - I have never understood why HIV awareness and Gay Rights/Parades seem so often to be grouped together, leading to the natural conclusion that there is some sort of connection. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

But then again you believe all Gay Rights parades are provocative and counter productive!

Utopia
March 1st, 2009, 07:49
Just for the record, the gay activist mentioned as being opposed to the Chiang Mai parade is Nathee Teerarojjanapongs. He is not the founder of the Bangkok Gay Festival (that was Pakorn Pimton), although Nathee and his group marched at the front of that first parade. Both are professional dancers and both were recipients of individual Utopia Awards for Asia's gay and lesbian pioneers. Both have prevented countless lives from suffering via their AIDS/HIV educational work. See more about both of them at http://www.utopia-asia.com/spec/awards05.htm

March 1st, 2009, 12:24
Interesting that the founder of the original Bangkok gay festival was instrumental in trying to get this march stopped. He lobbied the city authorities but failed to get it stopped legally. I wonder if he has any connection with these morons who threatened to stop the march by force.

Where did you find this story?

It was widely reported in the Thai and English language Thai press in the run up to CNX pride. Part of the story is here: http://www.dragoncastle.net/community/archives/116

Just for the record, the gay activist mentioned as being opposed to the Chiang Mai parade is Nathee Teerarojjanapongs. He is not the founder of the Bangkok Gay Festival (that was Pakorn Pimton), although Nathee and his group marched at the front of that first parade. Both are professional dancers and both were recipients of individual Utopia Awards for Asia's gay and lesbian pioneers. Both have prevented countless lives from suffering via their AIDS/HIV educational work. See more about both of them at http://www.utopia-asia.com/spec/awards05.htm

So when will fattman be apologising to Pakorn Pimton?

TrongpaiExpat
March 1st, 2009, 12:44
Nathee Teerarojjanapongs, isn't that the guy who was calling for the closure of all the gay saunas in Thailand last year? He was giving interviews to all the TV news programs.

Interesting that the attack protesters (red shirts) were carrying signs printed in English. Most other red and even yellow show events have signs in Thai.

What's important to remember is this was not a mass general public attack on gays. These protesters could care less. They are paid, given a red or yellow shirt, a box lunch and told what to do. I even know one boy that was yellow but then red paid more, so now he is red. The going rate is 300 to 500B per day. Look at the "protesters" most of them think they are at a party. Why the organizers of the reds decided on attacking farang gays is hard to fathom but I hope this is an isolated incident.

March 1st, 2009, 17:35
Yes, Pakorn is the Thai performer/founder of the now defunct Bangkok Gay Festival (& Parade). Over past years he has still ocassionaly lead the parade, much to the consternation of the powers that been, in the Silom Road area on December 1, World Aids Day.

March 2nd, 2009, 13:43
[quote="Gone Fishing":2tiautea].....I have never understood why HIV awareness and Gay Rights/Parades seem so often to be grouped together, leading to the natural conclusion that there is some sort of connection. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

But then again you believe all Gay Rights parades are provocative and counter productive![/quote:2tiautea]

Without re-opening the old issue, which is terminally tedious (I have never said "all ... are", my point was that I believe they "can" be, which is far from the same thing), maybe you can explain the reason that the two parades are so often held jointly and how this can possibly be advantageous to both - or even to either. As an outsider in these matters I would have thought that it was clearly disadvantageous to both. :scratch: