PDA

View Full Version : How bad is the economy?

February 16th, 2009, 13:48
As someone whose family company is involved in export/import I'd have to say the Thai economy seems grim. This view is supported by recent statistics -
Thailand's air cargo volume plunged by nearly half in January following the annualised fall of 23 per cent in the fourth quarter of last year as the deepening global financial crisis continued to sting exports. http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/eco ... on-exports (http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/economics/11743/air-cargo-plunges-by-half-as-crisis-takes-its-toll-on-exports)

Dodger
February 16th, 2009, 16:37
Maybe a stimulous package is in order for the bar owners.

February 16th, 2009, 17:34
Japan's economy contracted by 3.3% in the last quarter of last year apparently its worst showing since the 1970s and the contraction means the economy shrank at an annual pace of nearly 13% during the last quarter of 2008, the worst since the end of World War II and steeper than that being experienced in the US or Europe. What has this to do with Thailand, well I think that is obvious!

February 16th, 2009, 18:30
When I went to get seats on a couple TG Int'l returns over the next few weeks I saw a LOT of empty seats.

elephantspike
February 16th, 2009, 20:02
I'm burning furniture now to run the generator to run the server for this site. I used to burn fresh wood.

The furniture I am burning has tags reading "Made In Thailand". I'm no economist, so I'm not sure what the implications are, but I don't think it is good.

February 16th, 2009, 20:09
I just received an offer of a condo development in Phuket with 4 million baht written off the price.

OTOH one of my associates in the City of London got pushed a few months ago but has just been appointed to a similar position in Tokyo.

elephantspike
February 16th, 2009, 20:22
If the available job in London includes toothpaste and shoelaces, I'll take it.

jinks
February 16th, 2009, 21:00

There are several openings in the UK for MatchGirls.

elephantspike
February 16th, 2009, 23:58
Does it involve typing?

February 17th, 2009, 00:37
When I went to get seats on a couple TG Int'l returns over the next few weeks I saw a LOT of empty seats.

I flew from Singapore to BKK 2 weeks ago on a SQ flight, it's a Boeing 777 plane. The economy class was less than 1/4 full. The back section was completely empty.

February 17th, 2009, 04:46

Eh? The function was combined with the US office, to be remotely run from New York.