PDA

View Full Version : Pork with chilli and a thai herb

February 16th, 2009, 12:44
In thailand I ate a dish with minced pork, red chilli and some kind of thai herb. The dish is with little bit sauce and is served with rice. Does anyone know the name of this because I would like to bake it in europe. Or just the name of the herb.

February 16th, 2009, 13:24
Probably Thai basil

Narakmak
February 16th, 2009, 14:24
Yes, most like Pad krapow moo, or fried pork with Thai basil, usually cooked spicy hot. Any large city with an Asian market should stock Thai basil. There is no decent substitute for Thai basil for this dish.

February 16th, 2009, 18:24
Yes, you'r thinking about Pad Kra Pao.
You can cook it in two different ways.

Pork (not minced, Just shopped it very fine
Garlic
Oyster sauce
Chili
Sweet Basil

OR

Pork
Oyster Sauce
Pad Kra Pao paste (this you will find in all china/thai-supermarkets in Europe.) Also called Chilli Pase with Sweet Basil.

Enjoy your meal!!

February 16th, 2009, 19:20
Yes, most like Pad krapow moo, or fried pork with Thai basil, usually cooked spicy hot. Any large city with an Asian market should stock Thai basil. There is no decent substitute for Thai basil for this dish.

In fact you can use either sweet basil (regular Thai basil), or substitute Thai holy basil for a sharper, more piquant flavour (not the same as Tulasi, or Indian holy basil). There is an American variety called Queen of Siam which you can also use to cook kra pow moo. Bon apettit!

TrongpaiExpat
February 16th, 2009, 19:29
You throw the basil in last, after the rest is cooked, toss it a few times just enough to wilt the leaves and serve.

There's regional variations on this dish. I like the one laced with diced long beans. It's common also to throw a fried egg on the top as well.

Narakmak
February 16th, 2009, 20:34
Truth be told, the dish can be made with fresh mint leaves instead of basil. A different dish but still very tasty. I recommend the version with garlic and plenty of chilies. I find Thais don't use enough garlic in the dish for my taste.

February 17th, 2009, 02:27
I think you'll find that the herb is bai krapao (which I think is Holy or hairy basil) not bai horapah (sweet basil)

mahjongguy
February 17th, 2009, 05:10
It really needs to be holy basil. Sweet basil is for curry dishes.

And don't use oyster sauce if you want it to taste like a proper ka prow moo. Just soy sauce and a dash of fish sauce.

I like it with long beans that are chopped very fine, segments no longer than 1/4". The egg on top is great, but it should be an ordinary sunny-side-up, not the crispy brown deep-fried "kaijeow".

lo-so
February 17th, 2009, 05:23
Narakmak - A minced or chopped (pork/chicken) with mint along with amongst other things lashings of fresh lime juice,fish sauce, shallots and dried chili flakes is Laab -utterly addictive as well - yum yum. Very issan.

Smiles
February 17th, 2009, 09:59
Ka pow moo (that's kind of how it's pronounced phonetically), also can be ordered with chicken (gai) or shrimp (goong). Thais often order this very simple dish with loads of chili, so to be on the safe side, if you don't like your lips burning for hours after eating, lower the heat level considerably when ordering.

Cheers ...

February 17th, 2009, 10:28
if you don't like your lips burning for hours after eating eat, lower the heat level considerably when ordering.

Cheers ...

Damn. All these prissy tourists even want to water downThai cuisine. Then the rest of us have to specially request that the food we order be prepared properly or else we get the McThailand version favoured by the squeamish day trippers.

Anyway a little som dtum, moo larb and moo pad gra-prao eaten as it's supposed to be, will help you maintain a youthful appearance.

Smiles
February 17th, 2009, 10:31
:laughing3:

:rr: :salute: :idea: :faroah: :argue: :geek: :flower:

I believe there was an old Rolling Stone song called "The Bitch is Back".

Cheers ...

quiet1
February 17th, 2009, 20:23
I remember the Elton John version, and folks who knew him said he was being quite honest when he sang it.

February 17th, 2009, 21:54
:laughing3:

:rr: :salute: :idea: :faroah: :argue: :geek: :flower:

Cheers ...

That mean Mr. Smirks is just too cruel to us newbies! My heart goes out to that poor Khun Pot and what he must have to put up with ...with which he must put up ... up with which he must put...

http://www.mydisplayimage.com/blog/premium/anim_wanking.gif
Cheers indeed.

krobbie
February 18th, 2009, 01:10
Obviously, as many others here, this is one of my dishes. I can even get it at the refurbished food-court atop Robinson's in South Sathorn which is the second closest place to my hotel. The other is a hole in the wall restaurant which seats about 10 people, just two shop houses from the front door of my hotel. The lady here does a masterful job.

Thanks for the recipe iMike and the original query Jocky. I am forever asking my guy to order the thing with the mince pork. Even I should be able to remember how to say Ka pow moo.

Cheers
krobbie

mahjongguy
February 18th, 2009, 07:36
The most common spelling in English is "ka prao moo", so don't forget the "r".