PDA

View Full Version : New Ibis Hotels in Bkk and Pattaya

colmx
February 15th, 2009, 21:23
Hi All
Just wondering if anybody has stayed in the new IBIS hotels in Pattaya or BKK...
The 2 I am particularly interested in are the one at:

-Sathorn; across the road from the Malaysia Hotel.Wowpow used to give regular updates on its progress... but no updates on it since Terry passed away...

-North Pattaya; right next to the old x-ray premises and only 1 soi away from the new x-ray... great location for us night owls.... Especially if one was interested in taking one of the coyotes to discuss world politics :thumbright:

Would love to hear from anyone who has stayed in these places...

February 16th, 2009, 02:23
I stayed in an IBIS in Paris recently ... not something I'd do on holiday.

February 16th, 2009, 03:53
I stayed one night in IBIS Sathorn.
My BS liked it, I did not.
Not value for the money I think. Very small rooms. Windows could not open. But new and clean rooms.
If you are a smoker, be aware the every part of the hotel is smoking free. No smoking rooms. Some will like that.

Oh I forgot, when I booked the room via a servicecenter or something like that, I was told breakfast was included. When we arrived I asked something like "what about breakfast", I was told just to show the key at the restaurant. I should offcourse have been aware that we did not get any vouchers.
At the end I was charged 450 TBH for two person, how the breakfast was?, terrible, all the buffet that was supposed to be warm was cold and not at all worth it.

krobbie
February 16th, 2009, 05:32
No pool either and it's getting pretty hot again in BKK.

Cheers
krobbie

February 16th, 2009, 14:33
No pool either and it's getting pretty hot again in BKK.

Cheers
krobbie

Same. same in Paris. I swung by one day to sniff the buffet. Not much more than a loaf of bread. Even by "Continental Breakfast" standards it was a disgrace so I left without sitting down or revealing my room number. Somehow this sniff got charged as a full breakfast by the time I was checking out. The charge was removed on request. Bloody cheek.

TrongpaiExpat
February 16th, 2009, 19:16
I have been told that about 90% of the business at Ibis in Bangkok is from package Chinese bus tourists. They have a tendency to decimate a breakfast buffet table. There all up at 6am making noise and can jam up reception when checking in. I have seen as many as three huge tour buses parked in the lot.

Further down the street on Soi Sribumphen the Tivoli Hotel packs in the Koran package tours and it's 90% of their business as well.

Between these two hotels are several very nice guest houses. You have to walk and ask.

Also in this neighborhood are three new restaurants that are gay owned. One on Namdupree, not far from the Ibis is a French restaurant with a show/cabaret theme. Seems to be doing business with farangs and I have not tried it yet, but a few guys told me it's good if you like French food. Then down Soi Sribumphen on the left side there's Hannas. It's owned by a French expat with a Thai BF but there's no french food, it's Thai and I have tried it once and it was a little pricey but excellent. You'll notice the cute gay boys smartly dressed in black. They deliver too. Then finally, make your way down the soi almost to Om Yim restaurant and there's a strange looking place named Mumu. It's an art cafe. I can't figure the place out, sometimes there's a food offering and other times it looks like just coffee and cake. There's art exhibits and occasionally musical performances. Some guy was there last week playing classical guitar to an audience of three.

February 16th, 2009, 19:58
Further down the street on Soi Sribumphen the Trivoli Hotel packs in the Koran package tours and it's 90% of their business as well.

I haven't noticed a Mosque in the area. Are those package tours during Islamic Holy months?

TrongpaiExpat
February 16th, 2009, 23:34
OK, it's The Tivoli Hotel (http://www.bangkok.com/tivoli/)

kjun12
February 17th, 2009, 02:24
Once again I say the Ibis must have been designed by a sight impared architect. Can't imagine that a sighted person would create anything so hideous.

kjun12
February 17th, 2009, 02:30
An excellent restaurant across Sribumpen from the Ibis is the Oho. Good Thai and Farang food at very reasonable prices. On Ngam Duplee is Vincents guesthouse and restaurant. Excellent in beds and food. The place is well done and the host, Vincent, is most charming.

February 17th, 2009, 04:46
Shhh, not any more have to know

netrix
February 19th, 2009, 19:56
wow the ibis pattaya looks nice. i don't know the area very well. but the rate is great for a new hotel...
even has a pool. only 850 THB/night for the dates i just checked.
Ibis Pattaya Hotel (http://www.pattaya.bangkok.com/ibispattaya/)

kjun12
February 19th, 2009, 20:11
That is considerably less expensive than the one in BKK

February 20th, 2009, 00:17
wow the ibis pattaya looks nice. i don't know the area very well. but the rate is great for a new hotel...

+ 7% taxes, + 10% service

http://www.pattaya.bangkok.com/ibispattaya/rates.htm

krobbie
February 20th, 2009, 04:21

+ 7% taxes, + 10% service

http://www.pattaya.bangkok.com/ibispattaya/rates.htm

Also no breakfast. ROOM ONLY. I dislike running around looking for food in the morning. A slow stroll to the dining room does me fine no matter how limited the menu / breakfast buffet.

krobbie

netrix
February 24th, 2009, 06:30
Also no breakfast. ROOM ONLY. I dislike running around looking for food in the morning. A slow stroll to the dining room does me fine no matter how limited the menu / breakfast buffet.

krobbie

I noticed on the website that the hotel has a full restaurant and bar. Apparently breakfast is not included in the room rate, but that does not mean it's not available for those who "dislike running around looking for food in the morning."

...from their website:
"Breakfast
Only at ibis, breakfast is served from 4 am to noon, to suit both early birds and late risers. All you can eat buffet is available from 6.30 to 10 am. Outside this time, early birds or party animals will find a light breakfast, including coffee, tea, juices, bread and pastries."

colmx
February 24th, 2009, 06:50
Hi guys
Thanks for all the info so far
Based on what i'm reading here i guess i'll give the ibis in Pattaya a miss and stick with my old reliable Chan Tong @500B per night instead!

However it might still be worth considering next ttime i'm stuck in Bkk... any where is better than staying in Babylon Barracks!
2 x single beds made from poured cement and both at right angles to each other... plus a stone floor... not very nice when one falls out of the bed after a few to many whiskey sodas!

thrillbill
February 25th, 2009, 23:57
Hi guys
Thanks for all the info so far
Based on what i'm reading here i guess i'll give the ibis in Pattaya a miss and stick with my old reliable Chan Tong @500B per night instead!

However it might still be worth considering next ttime i'm stuck in Bkk... any where is better than staying in Babylon Barracks!

I just checked the Agoda hotel web booking sight...supposedly the bKK Ibis is around $28 right now.
Note: I find Agoda as updating their prices quite often; whereas some booking websights do not and will have higher prices.

krobbie
February 26th, 2009, 00:38
In future if you are ver "stuck" in BKK have a look at wotif.com and you can specify area. Very good prices.

Cheers
krobbie

colmx
February 26th, 2009, 01:51
Accor hotels are having a room sale in Asia/Oz at the moment....

Ibis in Pattaya now has rooms at 824THB per night (including the 17% taxes)
Ibis Sathorn 824THB too... so competes very favourably with malaysia hotel at that price..

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/promotion ... -accorAPAC (http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/promotion/specials/supersale.shtml?xtor=ADC-5083&sourceID=supersaleAU-travelzooaustralia&merchantID=par-accorAPAC)

DonMuang-old
February 27th, 2009, 12:39
Anyone stayed at the Ibis in PAT recently?
Any noise complaints from x-ray next to it?

colmx
July 7th, 2009, 06:40
Just a little bump for this thread

Anybody got any recent comments or updates on the Ibis Sathorn?
Last few visits to Bkk I stayed away from Silom/Sathorn... but this time around time is tight and I'm bringing a newbie friend - so want to saty close to the action

And I fancy staying there rather than going throght the whole Jimmy procedure!

krobbie
July 7th, 2009, 08:11
Just a little bump for this thread

Anybody got any recent comments or updates on the Ibis Sathorn?
Last few visits to Bkk I stayed away from Silom/Sathorn... but this time around time is tight and I'm bringing a newbie friend - so want to saty close to the action

And I fancy staying there rather than going throght the whole Jimmy procedure!

Check your PM's

Cheers
krobbie

July 7th, 2009, 22:50
I stayed at the Ibis Sathorn in May and was pleased. Booked thru agoda.com and the net price was about 32 USD all-in (incl taxes etc). New, spotlessly clean (but very small) rooms, water kettle and coffee-tea making facilities, very small refrigerator in room. I don't eat breakfast so the fact that breakfast isn't included wasn't an issue. Obviously very convenient to Babylon (this was my main reason for staying in that area). There seemed to be some gay Japanese boys staying at the Ibis, got some cruisy looks in the hallways. Ate at O ho a few times but it seems to be getting tired, seems to be getting some walk-in traffic from from the Ibis tour bus crowd since Ibis is directly across the street (I realize this is probably good for their business, but dining close to loud Indian ladies was not enjoyable, especially given the intimate proximity of the tables at O Ho). Ate at the French restaurant 'Vicki l'amour' down Nam Duplee towards Rama IV and thought it was awful; a creme d'caramel for dessert tasted like a pungent urinal cake (not that I have any experience actually eating them). Mali Restaurant was excellent as always. Good, cheap, gay-friendly massage available across the street from Ibis at the J Noo massage parlour in Malaysia Hotel lobby. I will stay at Ibis again.

July 7th, 2009, 23:44
I definitely wont be staying at the Ibis again. Small no smoking rooms, no pool, crappy food and more expensive than the Malaysia.
I stayed one night and checked out, Then walked over the road to my old favorite The Malaysia and got a nice room almost twice the size as the night before.
And you can forget the Jimmy Pinnacle too - for me its Malaysia every time from now on.

TrongpaiExpat
July 8th, 2009, 00:16
Oh O is having some staff problems. Should be sorted out soon. Many do like Vicki l'amour and they are doing a steady business. It's all subjective. I have ate there twice and both times excellent for me. There's been some problems there as well but I don't have the skinny on what's going on.

Mali Restaurant was excellent as always

Funny, we agree here completely but not on Vicki's.

Another problem with the Ibis on Namdupre is they cater to bus tour groups.

July 8th, 2009, 22:37
About the Ibis: Although my stay was favorable, I forgot to mention my primary complaint in the post above: the rate Ibis charged for Internet. (The rooms have both wireless and also a wired connection [you need to supply your own RJ-45 network cable]).

Ibis has several Internet "packages" for purchase. For 1 day (good for 24 hours after you first log on), the charge is a usurious (in my opinion) 400 baht. Unless you plan to sit in your room and truly use it all day, the charge is ridiculous. However, Ibis also sell a 1 hour pass for 100 baht that's valid for 3 days from first log on (or until you use all 60 minutes). For the intermittent user, that's a better deal; log on, check email, surf a little, then log out and probably have time left to do the same for the next day or two.

As an aside, I also stayed at the CenterPoint Saladang (on Saladaeng Soi 1) during an earlier portion of my trip, booked through Agoda at $56/day all-in (which included a large breakfast [served until 10:30, IIRC], a HUGE room that was actually a small apartment [living room w/TV, small dining table, separate bedroom w/TV, full kitchen, and large bathroom], and unlimited Internet access, and a pool and very well appointed gym). No problem with guests. Would have stayed there again (as opposed to Ibis), but for the last few days I wanted to be walking distance to Babylon. One warning about CenterPoint Saladang is that it is NOT tremendously close to Silom; certainly a very manageable walk, but in the heat, you may find yourself sweaty drenched by the time you get to Saladang BTS or any other area of interest (e.g., Soi 4). Another advice would be to give the Jim Thompson Cafe which is across the street from CP a pass; grossly overpriced IMHO for the quality. YMMV. The Thai joint down the street at the corner of Rama IV (entrance on Rama IV) was more authentic and a much better value; cute waiter, too.

TrongpaiExpat
July 8th, 2009, 23:02
There are several internet cafes across from the Ibis. It's funny, the first two are full of farangs but if you keep walking down Soi Sribumphen out of the farang zone the price goes down and the internet cafes are full of cute boys.

Colmx: Take a look at this place, same neighborhood.

http://www.thebosshotel.com/

And, a little closer to Namdupree: http://www.geocities.com/penguinhouses/

Near Lido Restaurnat, excellent Itallian food and Trajai Steak House. Some funky karaoke bars and Kenny's food and bar hang out, popular with the local farangs and Thai and the waiters are available. Lido and Kenny's have guest rooms too but were talking really down market, basic but clean.

colmx
July 10th, 2009, 03:03
Just reading Siloms blog and Teh Pinnacleis now available on Agoda for 615B Per Night (Plus taxes is 745B)

That seems to be a huge discount on theri normal rates and even on Jimmys rates

They also have the wall st inn at 1100B (inc txes)
From what i rmemeber its straight across from soi Twilight... anyone an cmments as to its joiner friendliness?

Beachlover
July 10th, 2009, 10:41
There are several internet cafes across from the Ibis. It's funny, the first two are full of farangs but if you keep walking down Soi Sribumphen out of the farang zone the price goes down and the internet cafes are full of cute boys.

Colmx: Take a look at this place, same neighborhood.

http://www.thebosshotel.com/

And, a little closer to Namdupree: http://www.geocities.com/penguinhouses/

Near Lido Restaurnat, excellent Itallian food and Trajai Steak House. Some funky karaoke bars and Kenny's food and bar hang out, popular with the local farangs and Thai and the waiters are available. Lido and Kenny's have guest rooms too but were talking really down market, basic but clean.

lol... so the prices are cheaper but you HAVE to put up with the presence of cute boys... darn.

July 10th, 2009, 14:10
if you keep walking down Soi Sribumphen

Ah yes, the infamous soi where John Mark Karr (reported pedophile, aspiring transsexual, and self-confessed murderer of bizarre American 6-year-old beauty pageant star Jon Benet Ramsey...except that he didn't really do it) was arrested before extradition to the US for a crime he apparently committed only in his sick imagination....

colmx
November 4th, 2009, 03:11
Stayed in the Ibis Sathorn last week as part of a mini trip to Thailand

Booked 2 rooms for myself and my travelling companion
Found both rooms to be clean, quient and comfortable

No problem with joiners.... my BF joined us late in the evening and my friend brought home a guest from DJ station... no questions asked

On most recent Bkk stays we have avoided going out in the Simom area, but should i find myself looking for accomodation in Silom/Sathorn again i will definately stay here in preference over the Pinnacle, Babylon or Malaysia

Surfcrest
November 6th, 2009, 08:21
An excellent restaurant across Sribumpen from the Ibis is the Oho. Good Thai and Farang food at very reasonable prices.

A few years back when the O...Ho...Restaurant first opened, I gave a small review after eating there a few times.

I was there again this past Wednesday night with a friend and didn't enjoy nearly as much.
The food, the ambiance.....all sadly lacking with this visit.

Koh Samui Luv
November 6th, 2009, 18:16
An excellent restaurant across Sribumpen from the Ibis is the Oho. Good Thai and Farang food at very reasonable prices.

A few years back when the O...Ho...Restaurant first opened, I gave a small review after eating there a few times.

I was there again this past Wednesday night with a friend and didn't enjoy nearly as much.
The food, the ambiance.....all sadly lacking with this visit.

And after you get food poisoning a few times at O Ho restaurant you will avoid the place completely. On top of the mediocre food the place is cramped, the tables are tiny and the chairs uncomfortable.

In all fairness, I must agree with Surfcrest who said the place has seen better days, but that was years ago. It continues to decline and I don't eat there at all any more. The owner is pleasant enough, making a big show of helping you to your table and holding the door open for you when you leave. However, those who have had a good meal there recently can consider themselves lucky.

If you know anyone who comes down with food poisoning in BKK, ask them if they ate at O Ho that day.