PDA

View Full Version : Phuket-Krabi

thrillbill
February 14th, 2009, 17:37
What is the best transportation to get from Phuket to Railay Beach? ...and any suggestions for a place to stay at Railay Beach? Thanks

krobbie
February 15th, 2009, 10:23
Bill,
At Christmas my guy and I took the ferry from Railay beach to Phuket (2-3 hours).

Here is the site.

http://www.krabi.com/visitor624.htm

Cheers
Krobbie

February 15th, 2009, 10:56
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=transportation ... ilay+Beach (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=transportation+Phuket+Railay+Beach)

February 15th, 2009, 17:25
Many of the travel agents will sell you a ticket for a minibus.

However, the minibus I took to Hat Yai via Krabi arrived over 30 minutes late & was driven very dangerously, overtaking on blind corners & so on.

krobbie
February 16th, 2009, 01:07
Bill, here's a little more info on the ferry.

We arrived at the depot in Ai Nang Beach not all that far from Railay. We had come from Nakhon Si Thammarat by bus to Karbi Town then caught a taxi to Ao Nang beach. Taxi's at Ao Nang are plentiful as they are aware at what time the ferry arrives/leaves. There is also a minibus to Krabi Town if you wish.

There is a tourist info office where the ferry comes in at Aonang, also places to eat and drink etc and even places to stay if that is your desire and toilets if that is your need.

We got to the ferry shelter at about 2.30 after having something to eat at a restaurant at the beach (Ao Nang) and there was a big boat having a few minor repairs being done as all the passengers milled around or sat and took photos. It is quite a picturesque part of Thailand. Our expectation was that the guys would be finished banging and crashing on this large vessel in front of us and we would be on our way.

However when the time came to leave we were pointed in the direction of several long tail boats about 50 yards away along the beach and asked to pick up our bags and walk across the sand to these boats. We would then go out into the harbour and wait for the ferry coming from? one of the other Islands.

That would have been fin if I hadn't had walking sticks (as I am an amputee albeit with prosthetic leg), so the tramp to the long tails was a laugh. I never (or rarely) get upset when these things happen. I just make the best of it. If I fall down or fall over (sand and artificial limbs can be tricky in combo) it isn't a problem. My guy is always around to help and he man-handled the largest of our 2 suitcases across the sloping little beach. The boats were on the sand at the front with the rest of the boat in the water. Had I known I was going to have to get in the water I would have worn my swim leg (prosthetic with only aluminium rod and foot attached) but I had on my day leg (or going out leg as my guy likes to call it), which is shaped foam rubber with an artificial "skin" covering. These shouldn't get wet as they soak up water like a sponge.

One of the drivers from the boats saw my dilemma and he just hefted me up walked into the water and put me very carefully over the side of the boat. No fuss, no spectacle, done. I only weigh in at 53kg's so it wasn't a huge ask.

All the boats (7) take off from the beach for a 10 minute trip out into the ocean where we bobbed about for 5-10 minutes and then in the distance, the ferry came into view. We then had to transfer ourselves from one small craft to the much larger ferry. Although this is a fairly tricky manoeuvre between two craft that seemed to going up and down, not in unison but the exact opposite. No incidents, or rather none that would make the newspaper and all aboard within 20 minutes. The boat guys handle the baggage (none to gently) onto the ferry. There were already some passengers on board from earlier stop, I think maybe Koh Phi Phi.

They say the ferry takes 3 hours. I guess that must be about right but it takes another 3/4 of an hour for all this other stuff before hand. I am not sure if this happens on the way back or what. Maybe the large boat that had all the banging being done to it, took up all the room at the ferry wharf ... who knows? We weren't in a rush and I had figured when we got to the other side in Phuket Town or rather the ferry terminus in Phuket, we could get a taxi or something.

The trip itself was great. We passed many small uninhabited Islands on the way and there were a couple of larger islands where day trippers had made their way to. We were fortunate to see the sunset about 15 minutes from Phuket. I took a couple of snaps of course as did most of the passengers. You can either choose to sit out on the deck or below-decks. There is refreshment available also below-decks.

When we got to the ferry terminal we were pleased to see about 15 mini buses all ready for our arrival. They organise themselves in some haphazard way and make sure that everyone is on the right bus for there particular destination. Patong, Karon, Kata, Kamala, Chalong etc. This takes about 15 minutes by the time the driver decides that although you were the first person to get into the minibus he will now put you on another. Finally after a fairly swift trip across the island we were deposited right outside our hotel in Patong. This is all part of the ticket price. Oi, what a day. I was dead tired so I could have slept anywhere.

It was an experience to remember which is why I like to do these things.

thrillbill
February 16th, 2009, 15:51
Thank you guys for the information