PDA

View Full Version : Happy hour in Boyztown

February 14th, 2009, 07:27
One of the points I hear from many visitors to Pattaya and in particular Boyztown is the price of drinks.

To be paying 140-180 Baht for a drink in most gogos limits people to having one drink and making a run for it, never mind wanting to invite a boy for a drink. A night out in Boyztown can be very expensive, particularly if you want to check out the talent in a few bars, and take home a friend for the night.

It seems that only one gogo bar o(Wild West) offers a Happy Hour (8:30 to 10:00PM) for all drinks at 99 Baht, and have been doing it for a long time. Lucky 7 were offering draft beer at 100 Baht and I believe Oscar's and Panorama do as well but not sure of the times.

I had a regular coffee outside Ambiance coffee shop (not outside BBB) for 140 Baht - No wonder no one sits there! Even Starbucks is only 60-70 Baht for a far superior cup, and Cafe Royale is 70 Baht. Have the bar owners heard there is a recession out there, or are they happy pricing themselves out of he market?

Anyway, many of my visiting friends seem to prefer spending time in the many bars in Jomtien Complex where you can get pissed for not too much money, and have a far better time. I believe it the same in Sunee.

Patexpat
February 14th, 2009, 08:52
yes, whilst I do like Boystown I think you have a very fair point here. If the drinks were the same price as in Phuket (typically B100 even in show bars) I would have rather more than I do now, as at B150+ per drink I don't feel like I'm getting good value! Typically there are four of us when we out out, so the bast part of B1,000 for a round of drinks doesn't sit easily!

I too like Jomtiem as an alternative .... especially Question Mark bar who also do an excellent coffee!

neddy3
February 14th, 2009, 11:20
140 to 150 baht seems to have become the usual price range in Boystown. The prices have certainly crept up, and I'm more concious of it than a few years back.

Lucky 777 does have 100 beer all night. Wild West Boys does have a justifiable price, in view of the numbers of staff and showboys preset. Some other bars don't seem to offer enough to justify their prices.

As well, some of the Boystown bars do seem to have fewer dancers than might be expected. Numbers seem noticably down, and cuteness, while in the eyes of the beholder, also seems less evident.

Bangkok prices are ridiulous, and I'm one of those almost given up completely on Soi Twilight: too expensive, too aggresive, too smoky, too much attitude. Where did the fun go?

MARK
February 14th, 2009, 11:56
Happy night Krazy Dragon all drinks all night 110bht after 12am all customers drinks 99bht :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :cheers:

thrillbill
February 14th, 2009, 17:31
You'll get some "new timers" saying that the inflated prices are needed in ordre to pay for the AC, electricity, mama-san, the boys... But, if a place charged a more reasonable price, I think they would make up for the price differnce with the volume. - NO Brainer. By the way I usually go to BKK on weekends, but what is it like in Jomtien for night life? About 7 months ago, it looked bleak.

colmx
February 14th, 2009, 18:51
In Michael Burchalls book he confirms that the boystown bars (pattayaland soi 3) have an agreeement to set the prices at the levels they are... I guess the other Pattayaland bars just follow suit...

In days gone by i would often see a farang order 2-3 drinks each when waiting and watching the shows in BBB/Copa/Throb...

These days all i ever see is people nursing their 160B drink for 1 hour++

jolyjacktar
February 14th, 2009, 19:04
If i go out for a drinking spree i will now go to the girlie bars, more fun and a huge drop in prices compared to the boy bars, thats a no brainer.

February 14th, 2009, 21:17
As long as there is no pricing cartel in the other Pattaya gay areas, ultimately the market will decide whether the Boyztown prices will stick.
Boyztown/Pattayaland has some nice bars & arguably the only place in the world with an equally wide choice of bars AND lower prices is Sunee.

brighton man
February 14th, 2009, 21:31
Well they certainly need to do something QUICK as tourists wont accept these prices much longer . I agree on a comment before about the cafe royals tea at ┬г1.63 a pot!! dearer than most 4 star hotels and certainly a lot dearer than the uk !

naklua
February 14th, 2009, 21:39
140 to 150 baht seems to have become the usual price range in Boystown. The prices have certainly crept up, and I'm more concious of it than a few years back.
There have been excessive price increases for some years. The yearly raise has been in the upper single digit level since the year 2000/2001. This statement is not made up from gut feeling, but I just took a look at my written notes of the past years:
Throb:
year 1999: 100 (glass of beer)
2000: 110
2002: 120
2004: 140
2007: 150
2008: 160

A-Bomb:
2000: 90
2003: 100-120 (beer or gin tonic)
2006: 130-140
2008: 160-180

Lucky 777 does have 100 beer all night. Wild West Boys does have a justifiable price, in view of the numbers of staff and showboys preset. Some other bars don't seem to offer enough to justify their prices.

I would like to share this argument regarding WWB: Although I dont like this bar in particular, because of the arrogance bordering sometimes on insult of some of their staff (waiters and dancers), I think there should be some price difference in drinks according to what the bar has to offer. I regard 140-150 B as OK for a gogo featuring real talent, but it is ridiculously over-priced for the run-of-the-mill gogo bars, which dominate the scene in numbers.

As well, some of the Boystown bars do seem to have fewer dancers than might be expected. Numbers seem noticably down, and cuteness, while in the eyes of the beholder, also seems less evident.

In theory smaller number of boys and them being less handsome should translate into lower prices. Of course, as this is Thailand, this principle does not apply. Sticking to this pricing policy leads to most of the bar owners pricing themselves out of the market, i.e. going bankrupt. Nevertheless, I bet, that these people would never admit, that it was there bad management and not the "difficult" and "envious" farang customers...

Bangkok prices are ridiulous, and I'm one of those almost given up completely on Soi Twilight: too expensive, too aggresive, too smoky, too much attitude. Where did the fun go?

I have to agree 100%. Soi Twilight has become a no-no to me and my bf. Moreover, I dont stay in BKK more than one day at any occassion any more, because having to meet these prices and being denied real choice any more, it simply lacks fun to go there for gay nightlife.
A few years back there was a vivid scene in Saphan Kwai - it is a shadow of its former self now.
Soi Twilight is a monopoly market place.
Solid and My Way dont belong to this monopoly, but they are not able any more to feature handsome and caring boys any more, like they did in the past.

February 15th, 2009, 00:44
Two yrs ago I spoke to a farang bar owner,who I knew well , and he said that he was paying on average between 20-30bht per bottle. This will give u an idea of how much profit is being made,

MARK
February 15th, 2009, 01:04
Two yrs ago I spoke to a farang bar owner,who I knew well , and he said that he was paying on average between 20-30bht per bottle. This will give u an idea of how much profit is being made,

This is still pretty similar to day beer now chang 20bht singha 24bht hineken 32bht the average cost price per drink in a bar is 18.50bht taking in to account soft drinks

February 15th, 2009, 01:38

This is still pretty similar to day beer now chang 20bht singha 24bht hineken 32bht the average cost price per drink in a bar is 18.50bht taking in to account soft drinks

I was kind of annoyed at paying 200+ for drinks in Boyztown ( or was that soi Twilight). The major reason I didn't wander into Sunee was because of it's reputation and I didn't want to be hauled away in a surprise police raid. Not that I had anything to be hauled away for but better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

My understanding of the situation then was that if one wandered into Sunee, one was only tempting fate (my interpretation). I think I have a better understanding now of how things work now.

Next time I'm in town, I'll definitely drop in for a round or two, or three......

I appreciate your candid posts, Mark as well as the updates. I hope business picks up for you.

February 15th, 2009, 02:09
That's 200-25 = 175 per bottle

Many of these bars hardly seem to have any customers.

Let's do the figures for a quiet bar with about 3 customers:
Many of the bars only have about 3 customers & let's assume they sell 3 drinks per hour for 5 hours a day = 2625 bht
Plus perhaps a few off fees.
A Sunee bar charging 100bht per drink would need about 7 customers for similar daily sales.

Out of that, they have to pay the rent, utility bills, the staff & tea money to officials. I believe the gogo dancers normally get a modest daily fee also?

Obviously the numbers look better if you have one of the few bars which packs in the customers.
However, we're unlikely to see anyone in the gogo business making more than Warren Buffet or Bill Gates.

Still, being surrounded by cute staff must be some compensation. :idea:

Khor tose
February 15th, 2009, 03:09
Many of the bars only have about 3 customers & let's assume they sell 3 drinks per hour for 5 hours a day = 2625 bht
A Sunee bar charging 100bht per drink would need about 7 customers for similar daily sales.
Out of that, they have to pay the rent, utility bills, the staff & tea money to officials. I believe the gogo dancers normally get a modest daily fee also?
Obviously the numbers look better if you have one of the few bars which packs in the customers.
However, we're unlikely to see anyone in the gogo business making more than Warren Buffet or Bill Gates.

Your math is perfect, but looking at Naklua numbers and Colymx's post--which I completely agree with---("In days gone by i would often see a farang order 2-3 drinks each when waiting and watching the shows in BBB/Copa/Throb...") I would think that I would rather have 7 customers then 5, as two more boys would probably get offed which would add to my profits. I also think your bar would be far more popular with happier customers. I love Thailand and the boys, but do not like being charged more for a drink then I would pay in my USA bar. Mark or anyone else, as far as go-go bars and Pattaya are concerned I am still a newbie, so would you or one of the posters tell me what would happen if the drink prices were very low and a door cover was charged?

February 15th, 2009, 07:27
However, we're unlikely to see anyone in the gogo business making more than Warren Buffet or Bill Gates.Arguably many bar owners (straight or gay) have bought/opened a bar as a way of staying in Thailand. Some do fabulously well (even in spite of themselves eg. Richard formerly of Telephone Bar whose latest venture @Richards probably provides him with some pocket money at best - although that's a drinks bar rather than a go-go bar). It doesn't take a lot of (any?) business acumen to collect a few boys and have them prance around in their knickers, after all. Professional Western management of Thai businesses can make a difference - the Duke of Wellington near Delifrance on Silom is a prime example (and a lovely collection of boys too, although almost certainly not gay). I suspect most Western bar owners, however, merely make do

lonelywombat
February 15th, 2009, 07:43

That may give you an idea of gross profit on a bottle of drink,but little or no idea of the net profit of the bar on a daily basis,if any.

February 15th, 2009, 07:53
That may give you an idea of gross profit on a bottle of drink,but little or no idea of the net profit of the bar on a daily basis,if any.You'll have lost at least half of them with that statement alone. Many people (including at least one bar owner I know) equate cash flow with profit, finding nuances like gross profit and net profit to be "nit-picking". Where's Snowkat when you need him?!

MARK
February 15th, 2009, 09:46

Your math is perfect, but looking at Naklua numbers and Colymx's post--which I completely agree with---("In days gone by i would often see a farang order 2-3 drinks each when waiting and watching the shows in BBB/Copa/Throb...") I would think that I would rather have 7 customers then 5, as two more boys would probably get offed which would add to my profits. I also think your bar would be far more popular with happier customers. I love Thailand and the boys, but do not like being charged more for a drink then I would pay in my USA bar. Mark or anyone else, as far as go-go bars and Pattaya are concerned I am still a newbie, so would you or one of the posters tell me what would happen if the drink prices were very low and a door cover was charged?

I have seen clubs charge a cover fee on the door before in England but then slowly raised the cost of the drinks over the next few months. I could not see it working here in Thailand at all, I am sure you have looked at the post and seen how people have particular fancyтАЩs in types of boys so most people like to bar hop from place to place
Looking as they hop, plus there are very few bars that are big enough to allow the entry of the amount of customers you would need to lower the drink price significantly to make a profit.

MARK
February 15th, 2009, 09:56
That may give you an idea of gross profit on a bottle of drink,but little or no idea of the net profit of the bar on a daily basis,if any.You'll have lost at least half of them with that statement alone. Many people (including at least one bar owner I know) equate cash flow with profit, finding nuances like gross profit and net profit to be "nit-picking". Where's Snowkat when you need him?!

90% of the bar owners I come across consider takings as profit spend most of it the same night on there boy friends and drink and if they are lucky keep open for a year until they have spent the last of there savings. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

MARK
February 15th, 2009, 10:20

Very few people on this board would believe a go-go bar can make a profit; I have been involved with 3 beer bars over the past 5 years all of which only managed to brake even.

Being surrounded by cute staff must be some compensation.

Not at all if you are running it as a business you want you cute staff offed asap so the down side is at the end of the night you are sat with all the shall we say the 30 year old ex taxi driver looking staff, and the day I donтАЩt take more than the above quoted fingers above per hour I am open I will close and have a long holiday.

x in pattaya
February 15th, 2009, 10:22

That may give you an idea of gross profit on a bottle of drink,but little or no idea of the net profit of the bar on a daily basis,if any.

Yes, you have to remember when you're paying for a drink, you're paying for the drink, the washing up,salaries, the electricity, the license fees, the rent, the police ...So if you can buy a can of Coke for B20 and the customer pays B100 for it in the bar, the bar owner hasn't cleared B80.

The reason so many bars fold is because the "profits" on the drinks and off fees fail to cover the overall cost of running the business.

markie1
February 16th, 2009, 05:04
Well they certainly need to do something QUICK as tourists wont accept these prices much longer . I agree on a comment before about the cafe royals tea at ┬г1.63 a pot!! dearer than most 4 star hotels and certainly a lot dearer than the uk !
Boyz boyz at the Ambiance charge ┬г1.60 for a pot of tea .its outrages really .i can go in to town in the Uk and get a pot of tea for less.

Brad the Impala
February 16th, 2009, 06:08
Boyz boyz at the Ambiance charge ┬г1.60 for a pot of tea .its outrages really .i can go in to town in the Uk and get a pot of tea for less.

This was in the Wall Street journal today
> >>
> >> Average Price of a pot of (English) tea in Luxury hotels
> >> for each city listed
> >>
> >> Bruxelles 3.45 euros
> >> Frankfurt 3.90 euros
> >> Singapore 4.31 euros
> >> Hong Kong 4.82 euros
> >> Rome 6.00 euros
> >> London 7.28 euros
> >> Paris 7.50 euros
> >> Tokyo 8.19 euros
> >>

February 16th, 2009, 07:36
I'd leave the paying of beer at 160 bht a glass well alone if I were all you guys, these places are "joints". I remember going into a girly joint a few years ago in Soho and I bought half a lager and they wanted ┬г25 - and it is quite common practice apparently, and if you don't pay, well ......

So, 160 bht pretty cheap I'd say. But if you don't wanna pay that much, go to Oscars or save up the vouchers from Amor when you have meals where you get half price drinks. Jomtien is another option, cheaper but NO eye candy.

February 16th, 2009, 12:04
How much are drinks in Pattaya's girls a-go-go?

brighton man
February 17th, 2009, 02:36
[quote="brighton man":2qarrkm3]Well they certainly need to do something QUICK as tourists wont accept these prices much longer . I agree on a comment before about the cafe royals tea at ┬г1.63 a pot!! dearer than most 4 star hotels and certainly a lot dearer than the uk !

This was in the Wall Street journal today
> >>
> >> Average Price of a pot of (English) tea in Luxury hotels
> >> for each city listed
> >>
> >> Bruxelles 3.45 euros
> >> Frankfurt 3.90 euros

If you had taken the trouble to read the article correctly I was referring to 4 star Hotels in Thailand and not Europe! your comment does not bear examination.
> >> Singapore 4.31 euros
> >> Hong Kong 4.82 euros
> >> Rome 6.00 euros
> >> London 7.28 euros
> >> Paris 7.50 euros
> >> Tokyo 8.19 euros
> >>[/quote:2qarrkm3]

mj_87-old
February 17th, 2009, 04:12
I have made about 8 trips to thailand over the years. I had always hung out in boyztown when I was in pattaya. I always felt boyztown was overpriced. This last trip (just got back from a 30 day trip) I went to Sunnee Plaza. I had always avoided sunnee because of its reputation as a place for pedos.

I found sunnee to be much more social than boyztown (both the boys and the farang were much nicer IMHO in sunnee) and I never saw any overt pedo behavior while I hung out in sunnee.

The drinks were much cheaper and in general I had a much better time hanging out in sunnee that I did in boyztown.

I had 100 piper whiskey at a number of sunnee bars for around 60 baht and drank a number of Singha beers for around the same price.

I doubt I will go back to boyztown on my next trip to thailand.