PDA

View Full Version : tarntawan place okay for a starter

February 8th, 2009, 21:29
Dear fellow-members, I am new on this forum. leave in three weeks to Bangkok and want to stay near the action. When I read hotel-reviews in many I see the Tarntawan Place coming up. I think it is okay; I read about their no-joiners fee policy and their gay-friendly atmosphere. But I want to be sure. So I ask you ? For a starter to Patpong; is it okay ?

x in pattaya
February 8th, 2009, 21:42
Dear fellow-members, I am new on this forum. leave in three weeks to Bangkok and want to stay near the action. When I read hotel-reviews in many I see the Tarntawan Place coming up. I think it is okay; I read about their no-joiners fee policy and their gay-friendly atmosphere. But I want to be sure. So I ask you ? For a starter to Patpong; is it okay ?

Yes. I'm not a "starter" and I live in Thailand full-time and I still use the Tarntawan on a monthly basis, even though I'm considering looking into other options... maybe.

Only a short distance from the main gogo bar area. You're almost expected to bring a boy back for the night. The security guard at the elevator will take the boy's ID when he comes in and when he is ready to leave, they'll call you to check that everything is OK before releasing his ID.

There are other places you could stay, but the Tarntawan has the convenient location and will make you feel totally at ease as you discover the joys on offer in Soi Twilight.

February 9th, 2009, 00:02
YES, to all above. I am in and out of Tarntawan several times a year!

"You're almost expected to bring a boy back for the night." SO TRUE! On my first trip to Thailand I was not sure at all about the whole process and came back the first night without a boy. The second night when I left the hotel one of the staff quitely said to me, "Find a boy to bring back with you tonight. No good sleeping alone!"

Enjoy this, your first trip to Thailand!

February 9th, 2009, 02:08
Thanks for your quick replies. I just send my booking-request to them. Hope they have room.

Will be there march 1 Thanks again : :rabbit:

TOQ
February 9th, 2009, 06:56
If the Tarntawan is full you might try the de Arni which is right across the street. There is also no problem with joiners

You can email them at: de.arniebkk@gmail.com. You can also check out the hotel using www.agoda.com (http://www.agoda.com)

john

February 9th, 2009, 09:06
I have stayed there numerous times without trouble and will do so again. Some of the posters here think there is better for your money, but I feel comforatble and safe there.

kjun12
February 9th, 2009, 09:19
It is well located. It is comfortable. And, it is safe. Be sure you room and bedding are clean before you accept the room. There are much better values for the money. Examples are Vincents 7 rooms, Pinacle Hotel, Malaysia Hotel and Om Yim guest house.

February 9th, 2009, 13:25
It is well located. There are much better values for the money. Examples are Vincents 7 rooms, Pinacle Hotel, Malaysia Hotel and Om Yim guest house.All equally well-located?

TrongpaiExpat
February 9th, 2009, 17:33
It is well located. There are much better values for the money. Examples are Vincents 7 rooms, Pinacle Hotel, Malaysia Hotel and Om Yim guest house.All equally well-located?

We have had this debate before. Some people are just willing to pay about 1000 Baht more for the convenience of walking to Soi Twilight rather than pay 16B and have to take the MRT one stop or pay 40B for a taxi. I guess some like that all day breakfast but it's hardly worth paying so much more and there's all day breakfast all over Bangkok.

Some just are in love with the Tarntawan and like love, it's always in the eye of the beholder.

x in pattaya
February 9th, 2009, 17:51
Be sure you room and bedding are clean before you accept the room.

Seems a bit harsh. I don't recall ever getting a room or bedding that wasn't clean. One time I needed more towels and once the dvd player wasn't working, but there's almost always a maid on duty and/or a call to reception will resolve the problem.

I'm sure there are many good hotels that would do just as well as the Tarntawan and, if you are on a budget, there are hotels a good deal cheaper. Aside from the serviced apartments at Centre Point Silom, I've not bothered to try other places in the past 5 years or so simply because I'm in the habit of using Tarntawan. If I want someone to meet me or come for a massage or whatever, they all seem to know where it is.

Like our tastes in boys, what we look for in hotels can differ widely. For a first-timer to Bangkok, unfamiliar with the city and with the bars, it's a good place to start, just as Ambiance is a decent first hotel for Pattaya. After you get to know your way around, you can easily choose from a whole lot of alternatives.

kjun12
February 9th, 2009, 19:41
Should have explained my comment. On one occasion i was given a room with a dirty (and I mean dirty) bed cover. It is correct that the place is centrally located to bars of the area and, consequently, good for a first timer. At least for a couple of days.

ceejay
February 10th, 2009, 03:48
For a first-timer to Bangkok, unfamiliar with the city and with the bars, it's a good place to start, just as Ambiance is a decent first hotel for Pattaya. After you get to know your way around, you can easily choose from a whole lot of alternatives.
Exactly right X. Some of you who are familiar with Bangkok forget that it can be pretty overwhelming at the first visit. The Tarntawan is not the most interesting, or the cheapest, hotel in town but they are helpful, efficient and problem free - as well as being right in the middle of the action. Ideal for someone who doesn't know his way around.

February 10th, 2009, 07:45
For a first-timer to Bangkok, unfamiliar with the city and with the bars, it's a good place to start, just as Ambiance is a decent first hotel for Pattaya. After you get to know your way around, you can easily choose from a whole lot of alternatives.
Exactly right X. Some of you who are familiar with Bangkok forget that it can be pretty overwhelming at the first visit. The Tarntawan is not the most interesting, or the cheapest, hotel in town but they are helpful, efficient and problem free - as well as being right in the middle of the action. Ideal for someone who doesn't know his way around.

I wholly agree with the comments above. For a first timer its a great place to start. There is also the advantage of having Purple Dragon in the lobby if you want to book a few day tours.

February 15th, 2009, 15:02
Dear friends, thanks for your answers. I yesterday contacted the Tarntawan through their website and this morning I found their answer: they have room so I will give it a try. Wil be there from march 1 until march 4.
For me, as a starter, the two main reasons are:
Near the action; now only I have to find the most suitable bars: I like the feminine type. But I am sure this forum will be to my assistance.
Very gay-friendly
Their quick responce.
Thanks for your advice; greetings from a frosty Holland
:salute:

February 15th, 2009, 17:33
Dear friends, thanks for your answers. I yesterday contacted the Tarntawan through their website and this morning I found their answer: they have room so I will give it a try. Wil be there from march 1 until march 4.
For me, as a starter, the two main reasons are:
Near the action; now only I have to find the most suitable bars: I like the feminine type. But I am sure this forum will be to my assistance.
Very gay-friendly
Their quick responce.
Thanks for your advice; greetings from a frosty Holland
:salute:

If I may offer some advice on the Tarntawan, it is an excellent 'first timers' hotel. You will enjoy your stay.
Do not accept a room on the 8th floor if you can possibly avoid it, unless of course, you enjoy cold showers with very little water pressure.
Someone mentioned dirty bed covers, of the comforter variety I imagine, this is normal. As is the dust and debris behind the bed. You will find all sorts of "interesting" things back there!
The staff are indeed wonderful, the Director, Lukas seems to be more interested in Dick's cafe's than in the Tarntawan which I feel leaves the place without driven direction. The assistant director Markus, I found cold and ineffective, aloof and lacks customer skills.
This is, of course my own, sujective opinion and others will doubtless disagree with me.

The food is average to inedible.

The security is excellent provided the telephone in your room actually works.

It is close to all the things we go to Bangkok for and that's a big plus. I spent many years patronising this establishment until I realised it was an overpriced, over-rated and dated establishment.

Enjoy your holiday, Bangkok and Thailand is a beautiful place, the people are wonderful and it won't send you broke if you are savvy enough to avoid the con men.

catawampuscat
February 15th, 2009, 17:46
I stayed at Tarntawan my first trip and it was a refuge from all
the activities just outside. It was comforting to have the security
feature of the security guard and the holding of the ID card.
I wouldn't stay there now as I think it isn't a good value and one can
do better. Rose Hotel nearby is another option and the Suriwong Hotel, which if you don't need windows and can stand noisy a/c is also convenient.
My preference this days is the Malaysia or the Pinnacle Hotel. Vincents only has 7 rooms and might be tough to get a room during high season.
The Barracks at the Babylon Sauna is another option for those who expect to spend time at Babylon.

I found the travel agent in the Tarntawan very helpful and in those days it
was not called Purple Dragon but also gay orientated/owned and was a
trip saver for this first time traveler to Thailand. :cat:

February 15th, 2009, 18:45
Several people have mentioned the Rose Hotel. Last year, after staying at the Tarntawan for many years I decided to try the newly 'redone' Rose. I stayed one night instead of two weeks. The room was very small. It would take four of them to equal a room at the Tarntawan. Hot water? If you waited for 20 minutes with all that water wasted! The food in the restaurant was just food and the service was 'wanting'. When I checked in there were three old ladies behind the desk who were not welcoming nor friendly. Then at the elevator there was a travel desk with some old biddy who seemed to have a constant frown. Maybe just my bad luck?

Alaan
February 19th, 2009, 04:54
I too have tried other places in Surawong/silom thinking that there is probably better value...but after trying Om Yim and looking at the Rose Hotel rooms I am happy to keep checking in at the Tarntawan.... I visit on holiday about every 3 months... and i just think that even at Bt2800-Bt3000 for the Suriwong room in Tarntawan i want to enjoy a trouble, stress free time and the Tarntawan delivers in that respect for me... travelling 7000 miles to save a few quid on what could be a less enjoyable experience is not worth it in my opinion... i would never dream of/expect to pay that amount in Pattaya or outwith Bangkok but for the few days I spend in Bangkok at the start or end of a trip the Tarntawan ticks all my boxes.

This trip I was driving and parking is so tight in Bkk.. even with the small space available for parking at Tarntawan they made sure a space was found and ok to keep for 2-3 days... i just gave the keys to the doormen i have known there for years and they organised things for me. Smiles and courtesy from the doormen/reception/room service staff and no glares/disparaging looks for those who arrive with a young Thai guy on their arm.