View Full Version : Dining review..Rich Man Poor Man..Jomtien

February 8th, 2009, 00:06
The food at Rich Man Poor Man, Jomtien, Soi 9 was excellent. Dinner was roasted chicken, apple dressing, mashed potatoes with gravy, and fresh vegetables. The price was right: 175baht. Every thing was wonderful until half way through dinner when four people came into the small air-conditioned dining room sat down and began chain smoking...using one cigarette butt to light the next. The problem wasn't just that someone was smoking a cigarette in the dining room; the problem was that the Management stood by and allowed these four assholes to turn the restaurant into a smoke filled hell hole. By the time we left our eyes were burning from the smoke...needless to say dinner was ruined and there is no way we will ever return. So much for Rich Man Poor Man.

Dodger
February 8th, 2009, 02:08
I'm a smoker, and I would be apalled.

Rarely do I ever ask to be seated in a smoking area in a restaurant, simply because it ruins my meal. I also make it a habit not to light up in restaurants, evan in an area which permits smoking, if there are other patrons who are not smoking. Now...and open-air bar and others are smoking...that's a different story.

francois
February 8th, 2009, 03:47
Reminds me of a time at a nice restaurant in Pattaya, I think the name Paradise. Our party of four were just beginning to dine when a very large group including children entered and were seated, but some wished to smoke (some sort of northern Europeans with blond hair) . The owner declined their request and they left. We told the owner, if they had remained we would have exited. It was a gutsy action by the owner since he had only us as customers and turned down a party of 12 or more.

February 8th, 2009, 05:24
Our party of four were just beginning to dine when a very large group including children entered and were seatedI would have left immediately on the basis that there were children in the restaurant

Diec
February 8th, 2009, 06:33
We told the owner, if they had remained we would have exited. It was a gutsy action by the owner since he had only us as customers and turned down a party of 12 or more.

I guess you showed that owner who's boss!!

February 8th, 2009, 06:47
We told the owner, if they had remained we would have exited. It was a gutsy action by the owner since he had only us as customers and turned down a party of 12 or more.

Yes Diec, he did show the owner who's boss. The number one reason that businesses around the world fail is that the owner opens and runs the business that the owner wants, not the business that the customers want. The result is almost always another failed business.

The customer is always right, if you wish to own and run any sucessful business. It's really a simple concept, but one that is very hard to drive into some hard heads.

Smiles
February 8th, 2009, 08:21
" ... The problem wasn't just that someone was smoking a cigarette in the dining room; the problem was that the Management stood by and allowed these four assholes to turn the restaurant into a smoke filled hell hole. ... there is no way we will ever return ... "
It's not quite clear from your post whether or not you actually said anything to the management about the smoke, and the fact that are you never returning.
Frankly I think this is exactly the sentiment the management (owner?) should hear ... not in anger, but just quite calmly and with certainty.

Cheers ...

February 8th, 2009, 09:32
" ... The problem wasn't just that someone was smoking a cigarette in the dining room; the problem was that the Management stood by and allowed these four assholes to turn the restaurant into a smoke filled hell hole. ... there is no way we will ever return ... "
It's not quite clear from your post whether or not you actually said anything to the management about the smoke, and the fact that are you never returning.
Frankly I think this is exactly the sentiment the management (owner?) should hear ... not in anger, but just quite calmly and with certainty.

Cheers ...

You are correct. We should have said something at the time and we didn't. I did send the management a comment on their web site a soon as we returned home expressing our concern. I look forward to Rich Man Poor Man's response. If they respond I will share the response with the board.

francois
February 8th, 2009, 10:48

No, the owner was the boss! I, nor my companions, said anything. The owner, a true gentleman, refused service to the farangs ( I think Scandanavians) . His response," it is Thai law not to smoke in an AC restaurant". These patrons were seated, used the toilets, and then exited in a huff or puff. His decision had nothing to do with myself or my companions. Our comment to him was only after the assholes had exited.

February 8th, 2009, 11:28
Our party of four were just beginning to dine when a very large group including children entered and were seatedI would have left immediately on the basis that there were children in the restaurant

You find it difficult to eat with an erection?

February 8th, 2009, 13:12

You find it difficult to eat with an erection?

lol, you guys are a riot.

catawampuscat
February 8th, 2009, 14:37
If Poor Man Rich Man is an a/c enclosed restaurant, I would have insisted
that the smokers sit outside unless they were bigger and stronger than me...
If it is an open air non a/c restaurant, you take your chances. I would ask for a fan and point it in the direction of the smokers and not give a fuck to their
response unless they were bigger and stronger.... :cat: