PDA

View Full Version : I'm being eaten alive!!!

February 7th, 2009, 08:36
I just moved into a lovely new condo on Suk. soi 77. I'm on the 12th floor and have a nice view of the skyline and the active clong behind the property. It's been cool enough that I like to have the windows open and regularly hear the motors of the long tail boats moving along the canal.

The problem? MOSQUITOS!!!!!

What have YOU found is THE most effective way to win the war against these little blood sucking beasts?

HELP!!!! I'm being eaten alive!!!!

ajarntrade

x in pattaya
February 7th, 2009, 08:59
Install mosquito screens, they don't cost much. Just had two doors done for 520 baht.
I'm very surprised you get mossies up on the 12th floor.

I live on the 14th (or 15th depending how you count) floor and am still plagued with mosquitoes. I think they travel up the ventilation shafts that connect to the bathroom padloms. And some take the elevators/lifts up. The fish pond at the wat near our building is a major breeding playground for them.

I use the Raid vaporizers you plug into an electrical outlet and sometimes I use OFF spray on my legs.

ThaiFan
February 7th, 2009, 10:36
I just moved into a lovely new condo on Suk. soi 77. I'm on the 12th floor and have a nice view of the skyline and the active clong behind the property. It's been cool enough that I like to have the windows open and regularly hear the motors of the long tail boats moving along the canal.

The problem? MOSQUITOS!!!!!

What have YOU found is THE most effective way to win the war against these little blood sucking beasts?

HELP!!!! I'm being eaten alive!!!!

ajarntrade

Well, I remember someone telling me that there is this plant in Thailand (long thin green leaves - more like a fern) that repells mosquitoes. If you can plant in pots along the outside of your window, and next to the window ledge it might help a lot.

catawampuscat
February 7th, 2009, 12:26
This is the first year in this decade that I have been having a problem with mosquitos. I used to live on a lower floor but moved up 5 floors.
The lifts in my condo are also providing lifting services to the mossies and even with screens on my door and windows, they manage to get in. I am also on
a high floor and for years never saw a skeeter but now get them every day in numbers.
I also use 'Off' on my legs as they seem most interesting in my ankles and legs.

My guess is that the spraying of the cities has been curtailed or some mosquitoes have become resistant to the spraying.

Fortunately, the bites are not itchy and are small but one still wonders
about things like malaria and dengue fever..
There were some reports of dengue in Pattaya last year but not many
and no malaria.
If one is patient, you can catch these skeeters sometimes and it is not comforting to see them crushed and bloody (your blood?).. :cat:

February 7th, 2009, 12:51
They come for a couple days, they go for a week, it seems. I can't get a handle on what the reasons are. I suspect they come in through drains. Any notion of that possibly is disavowed by the ... . They were spraying, They seem to have stopped. The problem is much less right now than I remember it getting at times, but still there, definitely.

Brad the Impala
February 7th, 2009, 14:50
In the home plug in vapourisers work well, outdoors up country the wrist and ankle impregnated bracelets.

The herb to keep them away is lemon grass.

DamienZ
February 7th, 2009, 18:12
Listerene and water in a spray bottle. Cheap-Cheap and clean breath to boot.

February 7th, 2009, 19:05
What brands of repellants work well for rooms?

I bought one of those little plug in jobs that take blue tablets in the UK, but still got many mozzie bites in my room in Pattaya.

x in pattaya
February 8th, 2009, 20:26
What brands of repellants work well for rooms?

I bought one of those little plug in jobs that take blue tablets in the UK, but still got many mozzie bites in my room in Pattaya.

I use Raid. They're available in Friendship, probably elsewhere. It has a replaceable liquid bottle that lasts quite a long time, not the blue mats.

fedssocr
February 9th, 2009, 05:19
Looks like "the authorities" are worried about Dengue.

From 'The Nation' (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/09/national/national_30095259.php)

lo-so
February 9th, 2009, 05:21
Copious amount of G&T and swallow Vit B. Either way it seems to work.

February 10th, 2009, 07:58
Install mosquito screens, they don't cost much. Just had two doors done for 520 baht.
I'm very surprised you get mossies up on the 12th floor.

Yes Fattman, a much better idea than spraying yourself and your apartment with all sorts of chemicals.

Also remember, mosquitos will breed in any damn puddle of water. In highrises that will usually be something like the trays under planter boxes or esp in a drain on the balcony floor. Also the water that comes off the AC unit.
And if the problem is not in your unit it could be any of the units around or above/below you.

Another idea is one of those citronella candles or mosquito coils as a repellent.