PDA

View Full Version : Sukhothai

Surfcrest
March 28th, 2006, 17:35
Sukhothai and Lonely Planet

When you are traveling into unknown waters, carrying a handy copy of the Lonely Planet go go great distances when it comes to making a choice as to where to stay / eat and means for travel.

Having said that itтАЩs also important not to take their word on face value either.

I landed in Sukhothai yesterday and used my handy copy of The Lonely Planet to plan my arrival, stay and to choose a few suggestions for eating. IтАЩve seen a few other gay tourists in the past 24 hours, but there probably isnтАЩt a listing in the current Spartacus Guide. While in Bangkok, I picked up a good / cheap backpack at J.J. and decided to melt in with the backpack crowd.

Bangkok Air flies into Sukhothai from both Chiang Mai and Bangkok twice daily. IтАЩve spent enough time on a bus upcountry to be more than familiar enough already what that experience is like already. The nearest point the train passes by is Phitsanulok, about an hour east of here. IтАЩve done the land trip through this part of the country already and IтАЩll be doing the train thing later, so the choice I made was to opt for the 30 minute flight over the 9 ┬╜ hour bus trip. The difference in cost was only 1000 baht. Bangkok Air actually owns the airport in Sukhothai, a beautiful (yet simple) place quite similar in appearance to Koh SumuiтАЩs.

Anyhow I choose what looked to be the best guesthouse in the Lonely Planet guide. There was no mention in the guide of a house owning many, many chickens (and roosters) next door. Having grown up on a farm myself, I have never recalled roosters starting their thing at 3:30 am. The bathroom in cottage that I have faces next door and it was as if the rooster was sitting on the window sill with lungs like Bette Midler. Thankfully I remembered to bring ear plugs, yet despite this the noise made it impossible to sleep.

The biggest news story in my country about S.E. Asia has been Avian Flu, this being number one (outstaged briefly by Miss Universe). I fond it odd how little I hear about it from inside Thailand. I would have thought the big lesson for Thailand out of this would be that livestock does not belong in urban areas. We banned many years ago for the obvious reason of epidemics, but if that information is being suppressedтАжthe recipe for this happening in Thailand is very real.

The next Lonely Planet problem dealt with restaurant recommendations. I went out with my handy guide (this before the rooster episode) to find the / or / one of the restaurants they recommended. They list the name (in English) and the location on their maps (no where near as good as Sticky Rice maps) and it should be all but too easy to find right? Wrong ! The name of every restaurant is in Thai with no English. The тАЬrestaurantтАЭ in the location that their big pick was, was a street stall with no menu nor remote resemblance to their description. Maybe I had my east / west coordinates mixed up again, but in a town this small you canтАЩt hide anything east or west. Fortunately, I did stumble upon a gem somewhere else. Once you are in the country you can really see how overcharged we are in the big tourist areas. The dishes at the place I found were all around 30 baht and some of the best food IтАЩve found in the country this year.

I was at Angkok Wat last year and this was my first visit to Sukhothai. I was very surprised at how big the historical park is and how many things there is to see and photograph. I rented a bicycle for 20 baht, an excellent choice for getting around to most of the sights in a day. With the temperature in the high thirties or ninety eight degrees, having so many cheap refreshment stands was also a big plus. Old Sukhothai (Where the park is) is about twenty some kilometers away from New Sukhothai (where the town is). Staying in old Sukhothai gives you the option of visiting the ruins before / after bus service (7am тАУ 5:30pm), but limits your options for eating / entertainment at night. They have a pretty good night market in the heart of Sukhothai. Apart from that, they roll the sidewalks up at 10:00 pm. Pretty much everything closes, so that people can get to bed early and get a full nightтАЩs sleep before the roosters wake the town up.

Surfcrest

March 28th, 2006, 22:22
I stayed just outside of old sukhothai at the orchid hibiscus - easy 15 minute walk into the old city - hire a bike and they will even pick it up from the 'hotel' after you leave.

Night life in old sukhothai - the probably was some but I was happy to get to bed early as enjoyed getting up early to see the sights before it got too hot.

Eating - didn't look for any 'high class' eateries used the little 'tourist' eateries on the main road - good food and cheap

Hotel - can't really call the orchid hibiscus a hotel - there is the main single story building with seating area and an honesty bar [you take what you want and note it down - the owner then adds this up at the end of your stay. I think it had 6 thai style bungalow bedrooms - small veranda, bedroom with 4 poster bed - very hard mattress, AC, large open plan shower / washroom. Nice clean swimming pool. Breakfast was basic juice american bacon eggs toast but if you wanted something different i'm sure the owner would oblige. gay friendly? no idea - was there on my own {and yes i was the only guest, which suited me}. nice friendly italian owner. Sort of bad points - only an old thai housekeeper there all the time so if you need help it might be difficult to get any help. After dark you'll need a torch if coming back from the old city on foot or by bike. When i was there the owner was building a house further up the road which i believe he now rents out either by the room or in whole.

Brian
ps was about 2 - 3 years ago

March 29th, 2006, 08:30
Yea surfcrest I agree about the Lonely Planet guide. I had both Lonely Planet and the Rough guide to Thailand. All in all quite a weight with maps etc but I was driving so not a problem.
The Lonely planet is good on general information,sites trips but is very badly out of date with accommodation and restaurants, the Rough guide is slightly better, at least a bit more trustworthy though still hit and miss. I think to a certain extent the internet has replaced both of them for accommodation re-seach.

We stayed at the Pailyn Sukhothai hotel, a Chinese owned and run (at least that is my impression of the building/development and style of service and food options) large and impersonal and geared to the cattle market. The rooms were very much your basic motel without the trim style. There were many tour buses and packaged Asian and Euro persons, the advantage to this was the food was fresh good and diverse. The pool was large and clean. As it was only a one night stop all in all not such a bad choice as its not far from the highway. It is also close to the ruins only 4km. A scooter ride from one of the boys at the gate gets you to town in a 5min in one direction or the ruins in 5min in the other. This stretch of road has some very interesting strip mall style flesh bars and good eating options.

However for a motel hell style (yes there is also an aviary with every conceivable avian flu carrier imaginable,including the odd SARS carrier) the Rough guide takes the cake "Upmarket, comfortably equipped rooms, sauna and disco" the sauna hasn't seen steam or patrons since 1980 and the disco is a swari for the elderly and adventurous that retire at about seven p.m. So you will get some sleep at least. Neither guides are spot on in this area. Taking into account the book is written for backpackers, the word upmarket is still very misplaced yes there is air-con,thats about as upmarket as it gets.

GWMinUS
March 29th, 2006, 09:04
Thanks for all the info!

I have always wanted to visit Sukhothai and the ruins there.
Thought of taking the train, but was put off by the long travel time from BKK.
So BKAir may be a good alternative.
Will see next November...

Cheers!!

March 29th, 2006, 10:33
FYI -- an effective cure for noisy roosters: a good strong elastic band and some small stones...

Boxer
March 29th, 2006, 13:44
You might like to see these pictures i took last year of this area.
www.boxertravels.com/unseen04/index.htm (http://www.boxertravels.com/unseen04/index.htm)[/google]

March 29th, 2006, 15:43
http://upload4.postimage.org/91530/FH000003.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/91530/photo_hosting.html)
Do not ask me why they always come out reclining. :bounce: