PDA

View Full Version : Party break in Bangkok.

ChrisUK
February 3rd, 2009, 12:28
In the middle of a six month stay in Pattaya, I decided to go for a couple of nights break to Bangkok last weekend. I had discovered that the Babylon Sauna was having a foam party, an event which I had been trying to attend for a couple of years, but unsuccessfully for a variety of reasons.

On Friday morning I took the bus (113Bt) from Pattaya to On Nut (short of Ekkamai), then the skytrain (25Bt) and underground (8Bt) (where I'm entitled to the 'elder' 50% rate) to Lumpini, from where I walked to the Pinnacle. The booking had been made through Jimmy by phone a couple of weeks earlier for two nights at 1340Bt per night for a 'Superior' room for two, including breakfast. I had tried to book into the Malaysia Hotel three weeks ago, but found it was full for the dates I needed.

The foam party is a special monthly event, occurring on the last Friday of every month, although it's worth checking their website before making arrangements as they are sometimes cancelled for various reasons ( http://www.babylonbkk.com/home.html ). The cost of entry was 290Bt. As this was my first foam party, I didn't know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the whole evening. Arriving at about 7pm, I had two hours to fill before the party started, so had a meal at one of the two restaurants available, after which I explored the facilities of the place, excluding the gym and swimming pool, for the next hour or so. It's about a year since I was last there, so I think some changes have occurred, as I couldn't find the maze, which has been fun in the past. Still, the steam room and hot room as well as the corridors with cubicles were amply offering alternatives.

The party started with a show in three parts, lasting for about half an hour. The first part was a big C show, albeit with just one guy (and a girl!) who strutted his stuff impressively, nay, provocatively for ten minutes, then a group of four lads and one girl, sang and danced a Brittany Spears song to good effect. Finally, a group of guys with wings attached came on to dance energetically for another ten minutes, gradually spreading out from the central point in the courtyard as the foam started to splurge out of a giant nozzle about ten feet from the ground to start building up in layers. At this point, the dancing guys started welcoming those in the audience to come and join them in the foam, after which the party proper started. It was a genuine disco atmosphere, yet surreal at the same time, with everyone either in towels, or wearing just swimwear or underwear. As the foam doused the dancers, those wearing white underwear gave us a viewing treat and were in turn treated to free admission next time. The quantity of foam was impressive, reaching well over the heads of those in the middle at about seven feet. I couldn't tell if there was an orgy going on under all that foam, but many seemed to be smiling and concentrating a little bit more than others!

Finally, after much fun by all, whether taking part in the foam or standing around watching and chatting while having a drink, the foam stopped at about 11pm, allowing the partygoers to finish exploring the facilities and clean up before leaving to head on elsewhere.

On Saturday, I went shopping and browsing the city at MBK Centre and Siam Square and checking the Arts and Entertainment Centre nearby, where a small string orchestra was playing some classical Thai music. No charge was made for entry. Exhibitions of art were shown in various parts of the Centre. Unfortunately, I forgot to take my camera as I was greeted by a noisy display of dance outside and eventually inside the MBK Centre. At first I thought it might be the Red-shirt protest group as many wore such shirts, but they seemed to be merely watching. Eventually, I made my way back to the skytrain and underground to return to the hotel, having had a tiring , but enjoyable time mingling with the general Thai population, - a bit different from my routine in Pattaya.

In the early evening I met up with a friend who intended to see the sun set from the top of the Banyan Tree Hotel. I joined him and went to the hotel on Sathorn Street where we took the express lift up to the 59th floor, climbing a further two floors to the roof where an open air restaurant and bar named "Vertigo" has the facility to permit the public to enjoy the views of surrounding Bangkok. It was truly stunning and I, yet again, failed to take my camera! We were able to watch the sun set and see the change as Bangkok went from daylight, where we could see everything, to darkness, where just the streetlights and floodlights illuminated the ground and buildings in the distance. I wasn't able to identify much, except the Bayoke Tower (another 'must do' trip), Lumpini Park and the winding River. I will do some research and take a map and camera next time. We both had a standard spirit and mixer, costing about 310Bt each, served in a 'leaning 'glass (another first) with a tray of 'nibbles' as we devoted over an hour to take in the view and chat.

From there we went to a restaurant on Convent Road before heading to Soi Twilight where we were entertained by the show at Hotmale. There was certainly plenty to see here, with not too much smoking. Although the show wasn't as good as the one I saw before Christmas, it had much of the same elements and satisfied me, especially seeing one or two of my ideal types on stage, who took part in the go-go and the big C show as well as one of the dance routines.

After the show, we parted to go our own ways. I ended up in DJ Station (200Bt including two drinks vouchers) which, although enjoyable, becomes an uncomfortable crush after 1am. I started to leave about 1.30am and managed to reach the soi 20 minutes later where I took a taxi having crossed the road ("Have Meter?" "Yes") for 45Bt. back to the hotel.

On Sunday after breakfast I met up with my friend again and we shared a taxi back to Pattaya, having enjoyed another Bangkok break from the pleasures of Pattaya.

catawampuscat
February 3rd, 2009, 12:53
Good to see the reports keep coming and also good to see ones
that aren't pure fantasy and cut and pasted from other sources..
I was told quite a few Pattaya ex-pats were heading towards BKK with
the foam party in mind, and about the worst thing imaginable is to run
into that group in the foam.. Chris UK was fortunate and enjoyed the
moment and certainly had a full plate of things to do and see.. :cat:

February 3rd, 2009, 13:01
Remind me - why do people live in Pattaya?

x in pattaya
February 3rd, 2009, 13:08
Thanks for the informative post, but

As the foam doused the dancers, those wearing white underwear gave us a viewing treat and were in turn treated to free admission next time.

After reading this, some of the kee niow on this board will now be investing in a pair of XXXL white BVDs in anticipation of the next foam party and I can assure you that a "viewing treat" won't adequately describe the result. Hopefully all the exits are equipped with "panic bars."

How timely and apropos. Mention "free," "foam" & "underwear" in the same breath and look what sallies forth. As a warning, colonel, check for Preparation H stains & depilatory residue before donning the white spandex support briefs for the next party.

Lunchtime O'Booze
February 3rd, 2009, 13:20

because you don't. :cheers:

February 3rd, 2009, 17:56
**in the go-go and the big C show as well as one of the dance routines.**

I keep thinking supermarkets!

COCK - cock - CocK!

quiet1
February 4th, 2009, 13:32
After tolerating the noise and air pollution in the Big Mango for four years, I left for greener (and quieter) pastures and ended up in Jomtien. My sinuses simply couldn't cope with the gunk in the air, and I got edgy(er) with all the aural assaults in Bangkok.

I miss the "energy" of a big city, and the shopping, museums, transportation systems, etc. If they clean up the environment, I'll be back in a heartbeat.

The bars, massage parlors and nightlife don't even factor into my decision as I'm a dullard through and through. To drive that point home, I'll confess to being an American.