PDA

View Full Version : The Economist beats up Thailand again

February 1st, 2009, 04:11
The latest deals with Thailand's appalling recent treatment of refugees - http://www.economist.com/opinion/displa ... d=13024576 (http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13024576) - already discussed in this Forum. Defenders of the Thai status quo - particularly after the editorial that canvassed certain ideas critical of HMTK - point to Thaksin having hired an ex-Economist staffer as a spin doctor. The extent to which a former employee can influence the editorial direction of a periodical such as the Economist, Time or Newsweek is an open question, but always a useful diversion for those who believe Thailand is perfect in every way

February 1st, 2009, 08:07
It seems to me there is a cartel about committed to torturing each and every leader here, elected or not, with the same issues over and over. Mis treatment of refugees, human trafficking, Cambodia border issues, ... on and on.

February 1st, 2009, 08:19
It seems to me there is a cartel about committed to torturing each and every leader here, elected or not, with the same issues over and over. Mis treatment of refugees, human trafficking, Cambodia border issues, ... on and on.So what you're saying is that no matter who runs Thailand, they're all as bad as one another?

February 1st, 2009, 08:55
So what you're saying is that no matter who runs Thailand, they're all as bad as one another?

I can't remember saying that but now, as mentioned, no, many are much worse than the others. I tend to judge on respect for free speech, arrogance and one was certainly much worse than any I have ever seen. It is no use trying to defend him.

February 1st, 2009, 09:01
I can't remember saying that but now, as mentioned, no, many are much worse than the others. I tend to judge on respect for free speech, arrogance and one was certainly much worse than any I have ever seen. It is no use trying to defend him.I agree completely but I believe that we are not permitted to utter a word of criticism here about that particular individual

February 1st, 2009, 09:47
not permitted to utter a word of criticism here about that particular individual

Yikes! He's dragging you into lawsuits, too?