PDA

View Full Version : Baan Dok Mai

joba
February 1st, 2009, 03:05
Any recent comments on Baan Dok Mai in the Day/Night Area? Will be visiting Pattaya in February for short time.

Room size? Joiners fee? Ammenities? Location looks good.

joba
February 1st, 2009, 19:54
Are the Standard rooms ok or shold one upgrade? Is there food onsite? Wall safe? The ads look great but twas looking for the experience of a recent visitor. Thank you

Dick
February 2nd, 2009, 07:25
Hi joba,

I stayed there twice last year. So I don't repeat myself please take a look at another thread/forum
here (http://gaytingtong.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12&start=15). Comfortable rooms, gay owned, very friendly, no joiners fees, and good location. All rooms have safes and yes there is a cafe/bar downstairs which closes around 6pm. But many good affordable European restaurants within 2 mins walk where you can get for example a French cuisine 3-course set menu from as low as 200Baht.

Go for it! I doubt you'll be disappointed. Warrick can also arrange a local taxi to collect you at the airport... I've use them a few times now. I thought the 1200B price very reasonable, the cars clean, and the standard of driving high and the drivers pleasant. No complaints.

atri1666
February 2nd, 2009, 10:52
I agree with Dick. One time stayed at same time like him. Rooms big enough with dvd-player and big safe. Superior rooms are the rooms with balcony now ( when i stayed there was no difference between the rooms). Location is super

Dick
February 3rd, 2009, 00:54
when i stayed there was no difference between the rooms.

And I agree with atri666! I never once poked my head outside the balcony door, so you'll likely not miss it if you didn't have it. You maybe get an extra couple of windows with it if you opened the curtains. All the rooms are spacious and have a big wardrobe to stow away your kit. Beds are cumfy. And as atri points out, there's a dvd/vcd player, which is coupled to rather good speakers and the TV is BIG! Good clean comfortable accommodation at the right price.

February 3rd, 2009, 05:02
Is the Cafe here a good place for lunch?

Dick
February 4th, 2009, 06:43
Is the Cafe here a good place for lunch?

I've only ever taken the (all day) English breakfast in the cafe (often it should be said at 'lunchtime'). Boy special(s) seemed to enjoy their Thai meal too. Usually a good few Thai people off the street popping in and out for Thai food mid day, so that would suggest decent Thai fare. It's a clean honest cafe... nothing to write home about... and I doubt that many would consider it the sort of place to go out of your way for lunch, although one or two staff might be considered attractive. But convennient if you're resident and looking for eats at the start of your day.

netrix
February 7th, 2009, 15:12
I stayed there about 6 weeks ago for a week. Location is good, but hard to find
when going there for the first time. Get the phone number for the cab driver
or have Warrick arrange a driver for you.

Just diagonally across the street from TukCom - computer / electronics, etc.
shopping center. TukCom has a pretty good food court downstairs, very
inexpensive and a lot of Thai and Asian food to choose from.

Hotel is walking distance to Sunee area and 2 minutes on a motorcy taxi to
Boyztown.

Overall a good hotel for the price. I usually stay at the Marriott or similar
but decided to go the budget route last time. I'd stay there again. Only
complaint was the water pressure in the shower...very low. I think they
were fixing it the day I left.

atri1666
February 7th, 2009, 15:45
Only complaint was the water pressure in the shower...very low. I think they

Wow. They really need long time to fix it. I was in the highest floor and also had the problem last year

naklua
February 7th, 2009, 16:35
Rooms big enough with dvd-player and big safe.
Does anyone know if the safe is big enough to hold a standard sized laptop computer?

TrongpaiExpat
February 7th, 2009, 20:32
I am booked at Baan Dok Mai in a few weeks and will post an update if there's anything significant to say. The response to the booking via e mail was very fast. Never stayed there before. All my usual places were either booked full or I got no response from e mail.

atri1666
February 7th, 2009, 21:25
Does anyone know if the safe is big enough to hold a standard sized laptop computer?

Yes it was a huge safe - no problem with laptop

naklua
February 8th, 2009, 15:43

Yes it was a huge safe - no problem with laptop

Thanks for the info. All in all sounds like the place to stay I am looking for.

February 10th, 2009, 01:20
Only complaint was the water pressure in the shower...very low. I think they
Wow. They really need long time to fix it. I was in the highest floor and also had the problem last year

Does not sound like a good place to stay then.

TrongpaiExpat
February 28th, 2009, 11:09
I just completed a short stay at Baan Dok Mai. I had never stayed here before and booked a short stay after reading this thread. First, it's a good value for the quality of the room and location is convenient. I booked a standard room, a little on the small size but fine for only one person. I understood from other posters that the only difference between the deluxe and standard was the balcony, I'm not sure of that, I looked in a few other rooms with doors open and they looked a little bigger.

The water pressure is the only real negative aspect of this property. The shower nozzle was fitted with a sprayer that compensated for the low volume. You can take a shower but not fast.

When I first saw the rooms and location, I thought noise was going to be a problem but neither morning or night time street noise entered the room. At night this area is dead quiet.

The bed and pillows are exactly what I like, very comfortable. The rooms clean and spotless. The bathroom I had was clean but a little worn.

The all day breakfast/lunch restaurant was decent. Many options to choose. The owner is a real nice and friendly guy.

All in all, I would and most likely will stay here again.

Dodger
February 28th, 2009, 18:17
I agree with all the positive comments made here.

I stayed at BDM for several weeks a few holidays back and really enjoyed my stay. Very friendly and outgoing staff, with spacious and well appointed rooms which are kept immaculately clean.

It did take me a bit longer to rinse those soap suds off his body due to the water pressure...loved the shower !