View Full Version : Browsers other than Internet Explorer ...

Smiles
January 31st, 2009, 14:38
OK, Firefox seems somewhat better than IE for running Sawatdee. Thanks to ElephantSpike for suggesting that.
According to The Boss, Opera is even better, but I think I may leave that step until 2013 or so.

But just wondering if anyone has used Google's Chrome browser? I think it is still in the Beta version so that may be a concern to many. But I've been using Google's Gmail, Picasa Photos, and it's online word processor for quite some time now and like them very much ... so was wondering whether any experience here on the Board with Chrome (the very argumentative Mr X-in-Pattaya has alluded to Chrome as well ... but I fear to PM him regarding it as he may well threaten to assault me ~ for no reason ~ next time I'm sitting innocently under an umbrella at Jomtien).

Cheers ...

ceejay
January 31st, 2009, 15:07
I've tried the other four (checking for compatibility issues with another website recently). I left Chrome out - if I understand it correctly, it collects altogether too much information on your browsing habits for my taste. There are privacy settings in it, but they seem quite complicated, and I just can't be bothered to learn it without a good reason.

January 31st, 2009, 18:43
Firefox is my preferred browser due to the customisation opportunities from all the add ons & the excellent interface.
Unfortunately, a couple of bank sites do not work properly with it, so I need another browser. One can even get an Firefox add in to open certain websites in IE.

Chrome & Opera seem faster than IE or Firefox.
If I could figure out how to organise the bookmarks properly, Opera could become the favourite.
Chrome seems quite basic, with very few options, but it's quick & easy.

I also tried Safari & couldn't get on with that at all.

francois
January 31st, 2009, 22:55
I use Chrome as primary browser. Often use the "incognito" mode which does not store history and cookies on your computer. But maybe google collects info???
It sometimes crashes and must be reinstalled. Secondary browser is Firefox. IE is not used.

February 1st, 2009, 04:46
Since I use mostly Linux (Ubuntu and Beryl) Firefox comes as standard and it's all I use

February 1st, 2009, 08:27
According to The Boss, Opera

You have a wise boss.

I've been using tabbed browsing, only recently added to all the others, in Opera for 5 or 6 years. THAT and many other Opera features that everyone else has been copying (eventually) are what have made Opera the leader, and still leader of the browser universe. It also excels in speed. Opera at first can be intimidating but a little time spent navigating through the setup features and customizing will be rewarded.

elephantspike
February 1st, 2009, 08:59
I use firefox because of all the web developer add-ons, but if I was just browsing/posting here and speed was the main issue, I would use Opera. Of course 4 years from now, or even 4 months from now, this information could be obsolete.

quiet1
February 1st, 2009, 20:53
I'm an Opera user as well, and have been for over 5 years. I occasionally have to flip to IE to view a site that was written specifically for IE, but otherwise browse only with Opera.

I'm looking forward to Opera 10 (it's in beta now), as they *FINALLY* decided to relent and add HTML mail. Opera has long had an integrated e-mail client, and I used it for a while, but got tired of not being to format (choose the font, italicize, underline, color, etc) text or embed photos. All the way through the current version (v.9.6x) Opera's e-mail was plain jane text only. After a yearlong attempt at using MS (Live) Mail, I finally switched to Thunderbird, but I really like having e-mail integrated into Opera. One less program to run.

February 2nd, 2009, 08:28
My apologies if this is sounds impossibly naive, but can you use more than one browser, jump between them? And if you change browsers do you lose all your bookmarks and whatnot from your other browser, in fact if you download another browser do you automatically lose the one you had? Im using Safari which is fine, but when I get IP banned form a forum (only the once I quickly add and due to a homophobes actions) I had to use a proxy to re-register and post and proxies don't work well. :scratch:

elephantspike
February 2nd, 2009, 11:58
My apologies if this is sounds impossibly naive, but can you use more than one browser, jump between them? And if you change browsers do you lose all your bookmarks and whatnot from your other browser, in fact if you download another browser do you automatically lose the one you had? Im using Safari which is fine, but when I get IP banned form a forum (only the once I quickly add and due to a homophobes actions) I had to use a proxy to re-register and post and proxies don't work well. :scratch:

You can run as many browsers as you want. They take up virtually no disc space, are free and only take minutes to download and install. You can also run as many in different windows as you want simultaneously. I have to do that all the time as I run updates so I can see how it renders in different browsers.

If you are using Safari, that seems to be (according to my limited testing) one of the faster ones for browsing this board, but if you are interested, check out this thread for more info:

tot-tit-or-sawatdee-t17032-30.html?hilit=browser#p171141 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/tot-tit-or-sawatdee-t17032-30.html?hilit=browser#p171141)

Brad the Impala
February 3rd, 2009, 05:02
So I succumbed to the persuasive posts and have now taken up Firefox full time, and for those concerned it seamlessly transfers your favourites from IE. It seems better than IE in most ways except that scrolling down a page in Firefox seems to take twice the time that it would IE. Any way of speeding this up?

February 3rd, 2009, 08:27
My apologies if this is sounds impossibly naive, but can you use more than one browser, jump between them? And if you change browsers do you lose all your bookmarks and whatnot from your other browser, in fact if you download another browser do you automatically lose the one you had? Im using Safari which is fine, but when I get IP banned form a forum (only the once I quickly add and due to a homophobes actions) I had to use a proxy to re-register and post and proxies don't work well. :scratch:I believe most browsers have an Export tool to export bookmarks to a file and an Import tool to import bookmarks from the same file so it should be easy to achieve what you are after. All browsers use the same basic format for bookmarks. In Firefox it's in the File|Import menu. However Firefox also has a nifty add-on if you have multiple computers called Foxmarks. This lets you maintain a central registry of bookmarks, and every computer you access and use Firefox that's accessing that central registry keeps the bookmarks on each of your computers in synch - http://www.foxmarks.com/

February 3rd, 2009, 13:04
Thank-you kind sirs for all the info. Safari is extremely quick Spikes, this site runs without a glitch.

There was the little issue of IP addresses, lets say hypotheticaly that your IP gets banned does changing browser make any difference at all, I mean you don't then get another IP address when you chnge browser do you and your IP is still recognised?

ps- I wish I was traveling to Thailand more often these days, then I could post more often here. I miss. Will be going in a month or so time so I will report back. I tried a Thai massage here in HK, it was a knock up shop. I thought I was going to get a Wat Po but it turned to naught when he stripped to his willy.
Five handsome Thai men who are changed once a month, all year. They must be on tourist visas. I was looking at the list on the website they are different men all year no repeats. Quite a strange set up. They come here then go on to Shanghai after the month for another month then back to Thailand where they apparently vanish, is all he would say. Anyway I wasn't taking chances so told him to put his undies back on, I will try and look him up in Thailand. They don't look miserable but there is that air of expectations :cwm10: they sleep in a dark hole concealed behind a large tumble drier in the laundry for the month and may not go out. Bless, it isn't nice at all. One day Im going to get into trouble I'm always looking around dark corners.

Brad the Impala
February 4th, 2009, 17:46
So I succumbed to the persuasive posts and have now taken up Firefox full time, and for those concerned it seamlessly transfers your favourites from IE. It seems better than IE in most ways except that scrolling down a page in Firefox seems to take twice the time that it would IE. Any way of speeding this up?

Having followed the advocates advice and "gone Firefox", have the advocates disappeared, or are they now too busy advocating Opera to answer this question?! It is hard to keep up!

February 4th, 2009, 21:49
I've been using Firefox for years and find it far superior to IE. Like you I was not happy with the scroll speed either but have never found anyway to make it faster. Even resorted to actually going to Firefox Help but couldn't find anything useful. In the end I simply got used to it.

elephantspike
February 5th, 2009, 07:46
I've never noticed any slowness with scrolling in Firefox. I always scroll using the mouse wheel or the slider bar on the right of the page, never the arrows on the keyboard or at the right of the page on the top and bottom of the scroll bar.

February 8th, 2009, 03:38
[quote="Cedric"However Firefox also has a nifty add-on if you have multiple computers called Foxmarks. This lets you maintain a central registry of bookmarks, and every computer you access and use Firefox that's accessing that central registry keeps the bookmarks on each of your computers in synch - http://www.foxmarks.com/

Thanks for the tip -Foxmarks seems like a very useful add on.
I like Tabmix (more tab browsing options) & Unmht (save as mht option) too. The add ons are the real advantage of Firefox.

Have also changed the e-mail application to Thunderbird, as Microsoft mistakenly think it's OK to deliver my new Vista PC without a UK English spell checker for e-mail.

Open Office also provides excellent free software, with is compatible with MS Office files, making it quite pointless to pay Mr Gates for MS Office. It even defaulted to UK English in the spell checker. Try it.

Does anyone know a simple intuitive non-MS photo editor? Not Gimp, but a basic one.

February 8th, 2009, 05:09
Does anyone know a simple intuitive non-MS photo editor? Not Gimp, but a basic one.We use SnagIt in our office. http://www.techsmith.com

February 8th, 2009, 06:22
Open Office also provides excellent free software, with is compatible with MS Office files, making it quite pointless to pay Mr Gates for MS Office. It even defaulted to UK English in the spell checker. Try it.

Well, I tried this during my last trip to Thailand for which I was kitted up with an Asus netbook running some unix derivative. Open office was found to be a pale shadow of my preferred Office Suite MS Office 2003, 2007 being a magical mystery tour.

I've since also mounted XP on the Asus.

February 8th, 2009, 12:17
I'm trying out the Opera 10 beta (thank you someone above) and I can't believe how well it is running with SGT and a few problems I ran into in 9.63 are fixed. I can't wait for the release so I can just update the 9 series.

I'm thinking of giving Opera mail a chance again. I started off years ago with Communicator email but nixed that when Netscape seemed it would to never support multiple email addresses. I then used Outlook Express. I still recommend Outlook Express to anyone but ended my use of Outlook Express after Microsoft ended HOTMAIL support inside Outlook Express, which made OE then just another multiple account pop email reader. Now I have been using Thunderbird email client for quite sometime and recommend it especially for mobile users who might have to change their SMTP addresses quite often.

I sympathize with Ceddy. I have been trying Tor with SGT here on my U3 drive which I would need when traveling to certain other countries and suddenly it seems that SGT is NOT working well with the Tor builds - cannot stay logged in.

WOW that spell checker inside Opera 10!!!!! The leader. Still.

Wesley
February 16th, 2009, 22:28
I wonder if after the big push for fire fox what the numbers look like as opposed to the big Push Spike put on Firefox as opposed to IE.

Smiles
February 17th, 2009, 10:20
I wonder if after the big push for fire fox what the numbers look like as opposed to the big Push Spike put on Firefox as opposed to IE.
Please Wes, could you put the gin down for JUST A FEW MINUTES??
Read your post man, read you post. Can you understand it?
I suppose there is a molecule of an idea there, and perhaps if you are able to find it ... but could you please share?

Cheers ...

Wesley
February 17th, 2009, 11:02
I detest Gin, I do vaguely remember waking up in the middle of the night not able to sleep soundly, having just had a really serious fight with the bf and posting something, guess this was it. IF allowed to interpret... After Spike tried to get everyone to change over to Firefox instead of Internet explorer, did the number of posters using Firefox increase dramatically or did it remain about the same? Or, is there a possibility that most of the posters actually were convinced that Firefox is actually any better... There now is that better. God your in a shitty mood today. Did the Bf not give you any sex last night. Now, until my broken Eye glasses are fixed my typing is not going to get any better either for a while. Please don't attribute that to my love of a party. BTW, I don't drink any hard liquor at all at any time. I do drink beer, try to keep that in mind when scolding me for my alcohol intake daddy.

Wes