View Full Version : Report on Recent Trip

March 28th, 2006, 02:15
Just returned from two weeks plus in BKK, Phuket and Pattaya. Thought I would share my experiences.
I was booked for the first four nights at the Tarntawan. Unfortunately, there was major construction going on next door.
After one night, I decided to move to La Residence Hotel. Glad I did.

Tried out the Adonis on Soi Convent. Was very nice place with good selection of guys. Had a nice massage. Will try again.
Also made a return trip to Aqua Pan and again had a great time. One of my favorite places. A new place has opened near the Aqua Pan but did not get chance to visit.

One of my favorite bars is Solid Club. I have known the mamasan, Lek, for many years. His recommendation for an evening companion was excellent.

Went to Xboys one night and was subjected to an interminable show. It was not well organized and seemed to be of more interest to the straight patrons.

Off to Phuket for five days. Stayed at the Club One Seven hotel. It is very well managed and found the staff to be top notch. The down-side was the noiese from the street traffic and barking dogs. The dogs seemed to howl all night. I have lived in Thailand before so am more than cognizant of the street noise, etc. but this was a little off the chart. Location is ok, but is far from Paradise complex and about ten minute walk from the beach.

I went to a few of the venues in Paradise. Really liked the Passport. Small but nice selection of men and very friendly. Went to My Way but had a not very pleasant experience with one of the guys. Tangmo was ok, but again made a bad choice of a companion for the evening.

Enjoyed a couple of nice dinners at the Siam Palm hotel restaurant.

Off to Pattaya for seven days. Stayed at LeCafe Royale. Great room and great service. My favorite place in Pattaya.
Went back to one of my all time favorites, Royal House for a massage. Was great.

Did not see many of the venues as I spent most of the time with a fellow from Andy Boys or Handy Boys, a new bar in boyztown. I may have the name wrong. I believe it is the old Charlies bar and has had some other iterations since then. Was busy and had large selection of guys.

Went to the show at the Throb one night. Was packed as usual and show was ok. I think I have seen one too many of these kind of shows.

All in all, a very nice trip and can hardly wait for next return.

A last comment; I would cautiion folks who are coming back through immigration - customs in the US to be careful. I know of two instances in the past few months of where individuals had their laptops and digital cameras searched. I also had customs go through all my luggage. I did not have a laptop or camera with me so I am sure they were disappointed. I wonder if they are targeting people coming back from SE Asia? This is the first time that I have had them do a search of my luggage. Would not have thought much of it if not for the stories from other individuals.

March 28th, 2006, 11:53
Must agree with you on Pattaya, Cafe Royale is also one of my favourites along with Ambience. Prefer the boyz town and pattayaland area over Sunee or Jomptien. I liked the Siam Palm in Phuket, good place to stay. Must say your report has put me off staying at One seven, as im a light sleeper and the noise would do me in . Again La Residence such a good choice of hotel, stay many times.
David thanks for a nice report on your holiday.

Smiles
March 28th, 2006, 13:07
Thanks for sharing your experiences David . . . these kinds of posts are the meat of the Board (so to speak), especially from members seldom heard from.

One thing I wish more folks would do is add website links to the places they enjoy (those that have a webpage of course). I know they are fairly easy to Google, but having them at your fingertips within a topic where they are already mentioned is a real help ... especially for the photos and addresses.
Just a thought tacked onto a helpful post.

La Residence Hotel, Bangkok: http://www.laresidencebangkok.com/

Siam Palm Hotel, Patong Beach: http://www.siam-palm.com/index2.html

Cafe Royale, Pattaya: http://www.caferoyale-pattaya.com/

Club One Seven Hotel, Patong Beach: http://www.cluboneseven.net/location.htm

Adonis, Bangkok: http://www.thaiadonismassage.com/

Cheers ....

Aunty
March 28th, 2006, 16:27
Thanks for your post and the information you've provided, It's always good to read when people have had a good time. :drunken:

In relation to getting through customs after a trip to Thailand, while I don't suggest taking a laptop, I do suggest taking a camera, and taking 'holiday snaps'. A camera full of normal vacation pictures is one of the 'profiling points' customs looks for when they are assessing the sincerity of a passenger's claim that they have been on a genuine holiday to a country associated with drugs, terrorism and underage sex for the 5th time. If you don't have a camera at all, this immediately raises the suspicion of custom officials as to what the actual purpose of your trip was and they are likely to give you the third degree.

March 28th, 2006, 19:56
David60: I am interested in knowing more about the "construction going on next door" to the Tarntawan Place Hotel..... It must have been awfully bad to make you move out. I am booked in there for 12 days in May... now I am concerned... Can you please tell us exactly where this construction is happening and is it really that bad - during the day? I know there are two big open lots in back which is the only space they can be building on so a room at the back of the Tarntawan would be one to avoid...? There was some talk that the Apartment block right next to the Hotel (on the righthand side of the entrance to the Hotel) was to be "upgraded" so may be this is where the construction is taking place?

Would appreciate more details. May have to look into La Residence as being a very good alternative.

Thanks.

GWMinUS
March 28th, 2006, 20:14
I will let David reply, but I stayed there in February and had no problem with noise.

There are THREE construction projects near by.
An older building to the right of the Ramada is being remodeled.
A new tower is under construction to the right of that building.
On the site of the old seafood restaurant.
And I saw a crane near Bangkok Children's Hospital.
Seems that BKK is coming back to life...

Many new businesses along Suriwong road.
Hugh drugstore where McDs used to be. At Patpong.
New coffee house across the road.
And lots of new massage places. Not the kind we enjoy!!!
HUMMM, Suriwong is loosing it's character...

Cheers!!

March 29th, 2006, 03:40
Regarding the construction near Tarntawan, it is behind the hotel. Better to get room facing Suriwong. I really like the Tarntawan and always feel very welcome. I noticed as I traveled around BKK that there is lots of new construction. Reminds me of the years before the collapse of the economy a few years ago.

TrongpaiExpat
March 29th, 2006, 05:11
Better to get room facing Suriwong

Well, yea but in my experience they are not very good at honoring requests for specific rooms and bed sizes.

wowpow
March 29th, 2006, 06:58
Across the road from Tarntawan Hotel is a big site by the Tawana Ramada. This is right infront of the Rose Hotel which used be popular with gays. The poor owners spent a lot tarting the place up (not before time I hear) and then a building site next door.

One of the assets of Tarntawan Place was that it was an oasis of quiet in a busy area.

March 29th, 2006, 08:26
I'll stick to The Pinnacle Lumpini... almost as nice as Tarntawan, but cheaper. Tarntawan is good place for the butterfly type that need to have a close place to bring their "purchases" for the night. If you are staying with your thai BF or Boy Special, they will prefer the larger variety of thai food at the breakfast buffett at the Pinnacle, as well as the fact they will not feel like a sex worker when they stay there (at least that is what mine tells me).