PDA

View Full Version : How goes the tourist season?

jimnbkk
January 25th, 2009, 03:37
I'm beginning to get ready for my next trip to LOS next month, and am wondering how the tourist traffic is. I was there when PAD closed the airports and was forced to spend an extra week in Pattaya in early December (not that I minded it). There were a number of threads going about the slow tourist season around that time, but haven't seen anything recent. Could somebody update me on how it's going now? Are there normal tourist numbers? How are the bars doing now?

x in pattaya
January 25th, 2009, 15:57
Are there normal tourist numbers? How are the bars doing now?

Depends on what you mean by normal tourists. Most of those I've seen are anything but normal, but then I suppose that is in-and-of-itself quite normal.

For awhile, following the Suvarnabhumi Airport debacle, it seemed the numbers were way off. I think the numbers in Pattaya have risen, but the mix doesn't appear to be the type that would be in the boy bars. In the morning I see a lot of Chinese and Indian groups at the beach being transported out to the islands. Today there was even a busload of Chinese being shepherded out of Carrefour. In the markets I see a lot of Russians apparently bargain hunting.

But, during my few ventures out to the gogo bars recently (admittedly I tend to arrive & leave between 8:00 and 9:00 which is rather early), the places were nearly empty and the boys complained that there are no customers.

When we were in Bangkok a few weeks ago it seemed like there were a lot of tourists in the Patpong/ Soi Twilight area, but we didn't go into any bars, so can't say what they were like.

January 25th, 2009, 17:42
I was recently in Pattaya and the Numbers do seem to be better then they were, but must be a third down on previous years, the Bars with what Gay Guys want, young handsome twinks and real men, are full, any bar that rely on lady boys mostly empty, but saying that the Host Bars seem to be doing well, specially in Sunee plaza. And Oscars in Boyz Town

Bangkok, I did a tour there recently and the owners of Balcony Restaurant Soi 4 said they are amazed how full it has been and even Str8 families seem to be sitting admiring the hundreds of Cuties and enjoying watching all the curious walking up and down, the Balcony was very busy, but then again it is the best food in that area, for next to nothing in price.
The best Bars were all full i.e. JUPITER2000 and XBOYS but future boys gone down in good lookers, classic bar seem to be doing well buy they do have a varied choice.

The gay Bars of Ramkhamhaeng near where I have my house, were all full, but mainly with Thai Students, its great, no farangs I get the pick of the best ?

www.balconypub.com (http://www.balconypub.com)

x in pattaya
January 25th, 2009, 17:59
the Balcony was very busy, but then again it is the best food in that area, for next to nothing in price.

http://www.balconypub.com

Sometime you should give Siam Heritage a try. On the same side of Surawongse as The Tarntawan and about halfway between The Tarntawan and Soi Twilight. Not as good for watching the pedestrians, but excellent food.

January 25th, 2009, 18:26
Now your talking giving us alturnatives, you know we alll get stuck in a rut from time to time, the only problem with two you have mentioned, they are more exspensive then THE BALCONY and you cant see all the wonderful eye candy wandering in and out, like as if they were the waves on the beach.

January 26th, 2009, 01:51
enjoying watching all the curious walking up and downI deny that. I've been in Pattaya all week.

fedssocr
January 26th, 2009, 05:19
The latest gossip I heard was that the gay venues are doing OK. Apparently Tarntawan Place Hotel is full and has been for the last month. And I think I read the other day that Ambiance Hotel in Pattaya is also fully booked these days. But the big luxury hotels are struggling. I guess one of the 5-star towers in BKK shut down something like 18 floors because there weren't enough customers. There seem to be a number of hotel promotions going on to try and fill rooms.

I think the global recession is a bigger factor than anything at this point.

Khor tose
January 26th, 2009, 05:57
I'm beginning to get ready for my next trip to LOS next month, and am wondering how the tourist traffic is. I was there when PAD closed the airports and was forced to spend an extra week in Pattaya in early December (not that I minded it). There were a number of threads going about the slow tourist season around that time, but haven't seen anything recent. Could somebody update me on how it's going now? Are there normal tourist numbers? How are the bars doing now?

My friends in Chiang Mai tell me that December was really slow, but business has been good this month. Still down a little from last year, but enough to get by.

January 26th, 2009, 07:22
I guess one of the 5-star towers in BKK shut down something like 18 floors because there weren't enough customers.

If you are referring the Shangri-la at Saphan Taksin, they have shut down one wing for planned renovations, nothing to do with the protests or the recession (oops I mean global financial crisis).

fedssocr
January 26th, 2009, 09:23
I do not know which hotel it was. But I heard this from some one in the travel industry who I believe knows what he is talking about. He was referring to a hotel that actually closed floors because of a lack of guests.

January 27th, 2009, 16:51
..... the mix doesn't appear to be the type that would be in the boy bars. In the morning I see a lot of Chinese and Indian groups at the beach being transported out to the islands. Today there was even a busload of Chinese being shepherded out of Carrefour. In the markets I see a lot of Russians apparently bargain hunting.

The "mix" is indeed the most noticeable thing about the tourists - the reasons are purely speculation, but the change in spending habits rather than overall numbers is what seems most noticeable. In the first 6 months of 2007 the "top 10" nationalities of tourists in Pattaya were as follows - the order of nationalities does not appear to have changed much, but if anything the difference in numbers has become more marked :

Thailand: 688,767
Russia: 558,608
South Korea: 329,220
China: 263,999
India: 159,971
Germany: 123,901
Hong Kong: 117946
UK: 117,010
Taiwan: 111,867
Middle East: 76,162

As a friend who has lived in the Soviet bloc for a long time remarked, after visiting here, the Russians probably feel quite at home. Apart from the difference in the climate they are used to bad service, limited choice, incompetent and corrupt police, violent crime, greedy politicians, draconian laws, poor infrastructure, etc. A few years ago the list would have been shorter - maybe soon it will be longer!

January 28th, 2009, 09:31
I'm going with a group of friends next month as well. We plan to spend about 10 days in Pattaya. Has the off fee & boy tips changed during this unusual slow season? From what I've read, it would seem the slow season rates would apply, no?

I generally go for the more toned, manly guys, as opposed to the thin twinks. Thanks so much for any input.

a447
January 28th, 2009, 12:49
The gay Bars of Ramkhamhaeng near where I have my house, were all full, but mainly with Thai Students, its great, no farangs I get the pick of the best ?

Are the bars in this area quite different to those in Soi Twilight? I mean, can farangs find nice cute guys there? Is the atmosphere the same?
Just wondering........

Brad the Impala
January 28th, 2009, 14:40
If you are a tourist looking for hookups, I would stick with the Silom/Suriwong area. Unless of course you are young, handsome and fit, in which case the world is your oyster!