PDA

View Full Version : TOT, TiT or Sawatdee?

x in pattaya
January 22nd, 2009, 18:10
My TOT Internet connection has been slow this past week but unless I try to download a video it's not very noticeable either for Thai or US websites. On the other hand, opening Sawatdee forum or individual threads seems to take an eternity. Is this something experienced by others or am I being singled out by the cosmic forces?

Cees-Holland
January 22nd, 2009, 20:11
Finally I have something to contribute to this board (as a newbie :colors: ).

If you are using a MicrosoftтАЩs Internet Explorer, try GoogleтАЩs browser CHROME or Firefox.
You will be pleasantly surprised with speed the page is shown on your screen.

(Technical babble: The boardтАЩs HTML code is rather complex for Internet Explorer, Chrome (and Firefox) handles it many times faster.)

x in pattaya
January 22nd, 2009, 21:38
Finally I have something to contribute to this board (as a newbie :colors: ).

If you are using a MicrosoftтАЩs Internet Explorer, try GoogleтАЩs browser CHROME or Firefox.
You will be pleasantly surprised with speed the page is shown on your screen.

(Technical babble: The boardтАЩs HTML code is rather complex for Internet Explorer, Chrome (and Firefox) handles it many times faster.)

Thanks. I'll give that a try. It's always nice when a newbie starts out on a positive note. Then for the second or third post you can turn vicious & nasty like everyone else ... I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

I can be waiting between 5 - 10 sec's for the page to load

In my case, if this were an old movie, pages of the calendar would artfully be blown away. We're talking minutes at best and sometimes it just seizes up altogether. I suspect TOT has a lot to do with it.

elephantspike
January 22nd, 2009, 22:30
I.E is the worst browser you could possibly use to browse this board, as already discussed here:

general-slowness-of-new-version-of-sawatdee-t16960.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/general-slowness-of-new-version-of-sawatdee-t16960.html)

it-s-getting-better-t16994.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/it-s-getting-better-t16994.html)

January 22nd, 2009, 23:50
We're talking minutes at best and sometimes it just seizes up altogether. I suspect TOT has a lot to do with it.

I live some way outside Pattaya, but I gave up a land-line connection when it slowed down to below 9.6 kbps; I now use an Edge connection on my mobile, which is reasonable for most things.

elephantspike
January 23rd, 2009, 00:39
[quote="x in pattaya":3sc74m4f]We're talking minutes at best and sometimes it just seizes up altogether. I suspect TOT has a lot to do with it.

I live some way outside Pattaya, but I gave up a land-line connection when it slowed down to below 9.6 kbps; I now use an Edge connection on my mobile, which is reasonable for most things.[/quote:3sc74m4f]

Yeah, this is a technical issue, not a political one. We have been off the TOT shit-list for almost 2 years now.

catawampuscat
January 23rd, 2009, 01:57
X, I am also having the same problem and also have TOT and usually use
I.E.
I signed out and tried Mozilla and it is faster. I will have to try Chrome later
as well.
I have noticed TOT has been painfully slow for at least a week maybe longer.
I am hopeful the problem is with I.E. but my guess is that TOT is also a
problem.
thanks for the advice guys and maybe I will be able to post more frequently now that the slowness factor is at least partially solved. :cat:

Wesley
January 23rd, 2009, 06:36
Mine is slow with either I.E. or Firefox, much slower than before. I do have some intermitant problems with my server here. However, other sites are working normally with either I.E or firefox. In gerneral I have about as good a laptop as you can buy as far as specs are concerned. Its not my computer, not my connection all the time and since I have tried both I.E and Firefox and both will switch back and forth on vista with no problem with a simple click I am not sure why its slower.

Wesley

x in pattaya
January 23rd, 2009, 07:38
X, I am also having the same problem and also have TOT and usually use
I.E.
I have noticed TOT has been painfully slow for at least a week maybe longer.
:cat:

Well, as you undoubtedly know, when TOT is good, it's mediocre and when it's bad, it's excreable. It's nice to know that my misery has company and that it's not just me. I can't even download iTunes podcasts right now. They time-out and they never "resume" when you restart them.

To be fair, all the landline access to all the ISPs here is (I believe) still made available only through CAT (you should have some influence with them given your name!!) and they are subject to external issues like undersea cables that are broken.

If you get stressed by it all, the medical prescription is: Take two boys and call me in the morning. Frustration over crappy Intenet connectivity is cured immediately.

jvt22222
January 23rd, 2009, 07:46
I have TTT at View Talay #1 condo and have not been experiencing any difference in my speed lately (my internet connection, that is).

January 23rd, 2009, 07:52
I wonder if this is a "Pattaya" problemWouldn't that be wonderful!? Given the original poster I was inclined to TIUI (This Is User Ignorance)

elephantspike
January 23rd, 2009, 08:06
I just checked my stats, and this is the breakdown it gives me of what browsers users here are using:

Internet Explorer 7.0 217 (33.54 %)
Firefox 3.0 189 (29.21 %)
Internet Explorer 6.0 83 (12.83 %)
Safari 525.2 69 (10.66 %)
Safari 525.1 31 (4.79 %)
Firefox 2.0 23 (3.55 %)
Opera 9.6 13 (2.01 %)
Internet Explorer 8.0 4 (0.62 %)
Safari 419.3 3 (0.46 %)
Safari 413.0 3 (0.46 %)

I can't believe that many people are still using I.E. 6. I hope putting the download Firefox link in my signature will help turn these figures around.The other ones are good, too, as is Chrome. Browsers are free and take up little disk space and only take a few minutes to download and install, but the worst one is still the most popular.

Also, I think I'm going to upgrade my hosting package to be put on a virtual server of my own. That'll make it fast. Expensive, but fast.

tobias-old
January 23rd, 2009, 11:22
Those stats are not to bad though, ruffly 50% of people are using a alternative to ie, when in general ie has a 73% share overall. Wonder if that is to do with the fact that most of the visitors here are gay ? :thumbleft:

x in pattaya
January 23rd, 2009, 11:40
Friday noon in Pattaya and my Internet connectivity seems to have vastly improved. Downloading podcasts at record speed and opening Sawatdee, even in the dreaded IE, with reasonable speed.

Apparently someone pulled the bum plug out and all is flowing again ... until the next time one is lulled into a false sense of complacency.

January 23rd, 2009, 14:40
When you in Pattaya say "TOT" do you mean dialing in using a service like KSC or is there a "TOT" connection in Pattaya similar to the truly A%f@L ADSL 'service' in Bangkok? If you are using dial-in then you are cursed by bad phone lines causing lapses in modem connections as well as problems countrywide with "managed" networks.

Are your problems limited to SGT website? I seem to have problems no matter what the website but must agree that they seem worse sometimes with SGT.

For the last year I have been around the world more than once using the same notebook at hotels in Europe and Japan and at homes in suburban America and Canada and condos in Arab States and apartments in other dictatorial countries. I am CONVINCED the verdict is that the internet in Thailand, the WWW (web) especially, absolutely STINKS (notice I have learned "politeness" in my time here :king: ), because of 1) website blocking, and 2) mismanaged newtworks. The worst problem I encounter here is constant, random "unable to connect" and "connections closed" and "unable to find host", "host does not exist" (in Internet Explorere these would be the "no dns" error messages), slow loading pages, and complete WWW standstills. Often applications that do not rely on web protocols (like SkyPe) work well while the web craters. I have often checked a neighbor's connection at bad times and his 2-times-my-speed connection behaves just as problematicly. I have it on the expert advice of a internet savvy friend that much of that in Thailand is due to the internet blocking (not just network mismanagement which is what I deem the worst of the problem). Blocking needs to check both the DNS and IP connections against extensive databases in order to deny. The systems get swamped, DNS lookups timeout or fail, and EvEryOne slows down (not just the users who are targets of the censorship). I NEVER see these problems in Europe or NA and ran into all this to extreme as well also in an "Arab state" that it known for it's development and practice of internet censorship.

Yes, I note too that SGT ban ended a while back. Despite, I stress that any blocking slows everyone down, not just those that might be having their particular websites blocked.

And as to 2 all I can say is that I have had the opportunity to observe "managed networks" at work and won't elaborate except to say that expert EXPAT SUPERVISION should be considered.

Other difficulties here are FTP uploads. I can't watch video here and must download the videos manually and watch them after lllloooonnnngggg downloads.

Different browsers may work differently mostly in their allocations of TCP connections and wheneever you have a lot of stalled TCP connections which are all CRAWLING along your system has problems and that can cause your PC to hangup - another problem I have here to a much greater extent than anywhere else.

I use all browsers noted above and more EXCEPT for IE, and strongly discourage use of IE for its NUMEROUS security issues and vulnerability to stupid scams like changing home pages and default search engines. As a result I do run into a few websites that don't work in one or another web site, find myself switching between FF and Opera sometimes, they are usually javascript issues, and usually on U.S. ecommerce sites.

I see the opost above and note that it became REALLY awful earlier here too and seems to be fine now. That will end soon.

x in pattaya
January 23rd, 2009, 14:51
When you in Pattaya say "TOT" do you mean dialing in using a service like KSC or is there a "TOT" connection in Pattaya similar to the truly A%f@L ADSL 'service' in Bangkok?

I have TOT adsl CyberGold.

http://www.tot.co.th/toten/index.php?op ... temid=1082 (http://www.tot.co.th/toten/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=188&Itemid=1082)TOT Products (http://www.tot.co.th/toten/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=188&Itemid=1082)

jcowle
January 23rd, 2009, 17:05
Yes the last few days have been very slow to down load the Sawatdee site, but today back to normal with good down load speeds, but why??

JOHN

elephantspike
January 25th, 2009, 00:52
Yes the last few days have been very slow to down load the Sawatdee site, but today back to normal with good down load speeds, but why??

JOHN

At least part of that is that I did go ahead and upgrade my hosting package.

elephantspike
January 26th, 2009, 08:01
Just wondering if anyone has any tips re: using this site with a Blackberry?

When it is in the middle of downloading the text of any message, it goes into its waiting mode, then freezes up so I have to take the battery out to reset, as all of the keys are as unresponsive as a lesbian would be to my considerable charms. I get the splash page, then into a forum, then into a thread and that's when it freezes.

Otherwise, having no problems at all with Safari on Macs and Chrome or Firefox on Windows XP or the "still frustrating after all these years" Vista. Although my download managers can't seem to make sense of the photo galleries and don't retrieve anything.

Any hope for the BBerry?

There are probably some tweaks I can do to make it more mobile device accessible.

To download gallery images, you need to create your own file name with a .jpg extension in your "save as" window. All those image files are .php with variables.

Also, if you click on thumbnails, they open in the Highslide feature (with the dark transparent background) which I doubt would work on a Blackberry. Click on the image name under the thumbnail and save the image from that page.

elephantspike
January 26th, 2009, 14:24
OK I looked into the mobile compatibility issue, and there is a lite style available that is made especially for mobile devices, and it comes with a script that is supposed to determine whether or not you are on a mobile device, and if you are, it automatically loads the board with the lite mobile style.

I'll work on that tomorrow. The lite mobile style probably won't be able to load features such as portal, gallery, blogs and such, but it should allow people to read and post on threads from their mobile devices.

In the meantime, have you tried switching your style to subsilver? That is pretty lite, so maybe that will work better with your Blackberry.

January 26th, 2009, 15:00
never had a problem loading sawatdee fast in Uk/Paris/HK/Dubai/Taipei/Thailand.

Im wondering if some have fast connections but old PC`s/ latops with slow processors/lack of RAM and cluttered hard drives.

elephantspike
January 26th, 2009, 15:07
That's good to hear, Oogie, but please don't tell me you are using I.E.? :shaking:

x in pattaya
January 26th, 2009, 15:12
never had a problem loading sawatdee fast in Uk/Paris/HK/Dubai/Taipei/Thailand.

Im wondering if some have fast connections but old PC`s/ latops with slow processors/lack of RAM and cluttered hard drives.

Having lived in both the UAE and Thailand, among other places, I can only say you've been exceedingly lucky. When things are going well TOT and Etisalat adsl connections were OK, but both have system-wide or local issues from time-to-time that would test the patience of Job... and it had nothing to do with the individual home computers.

My computer is less than a year old and, when all is well with TOT, works fine. Shortly after the shift to a new format, Sawatdee started working very slowly, more so than any other site I visited. Now things seem to have improved.

That's good to hear, Oogie, but please don't tell me you are using I.E.?

I've tried Chrome and Firefox here this past week and find no material difference from using IE7.

elephantspike
January 26th, 2009, 15:22
Ok, when I made the reference to the browser in response to Ooglman, I was confusing this with one of the several other threads regarding browsers and slowness with this board.

If you are trying other browsers and they are not making a difference, then I would guess that what Oogleman is saying is probably correct. It is your machine or maintenance of the data on it. Or as you say, something to do with the way your isp is set up in Thailand.

Wesley
January 26th, 2009, 15:48
but the worst one is still the most popular.

For me switcing over means also switcing all my favorites and resetting the browser settings, which I already understand on I.E. 8.0. I did switch to firefox for a long time when using XP. I was disappointed with the broswer but it seems to work much better with Vista than when I was using a worn out laptop and windows XP. Vista seems to handle Firefox much better. It is a matter now of changing over and setting bookmarks favorites and everything on Firefox. In short. You hve 62% on IE because they and I tend to stick with what we already uderstand and put off doing the work it takes to change over and learn the new browser. Its kinda like after ten years of learning Russian, I hate the idea at 57 learning taglog here in the Philippines. Or like the new I phone compared to the old N 95. Its jsut a matter of changing over and laziness on my part, I can't really speak for the rest.

Wes

elephantspike
January 26th, 2009, 17:59
but the worst one is still the most popular.

For me switcing over means also switcing all my favorites and resetting the browser settings, which I already understand on I.E. 8.0. I did switch to firefox for a long time when using XP. I was disappointed with the broswer but it seems to work much better with Vista than when I was using a worn out laptop and windows XP. Vista seems to handle Firefox much better. It is a matter now of changing over and setting bookmarks favorites and everything on Firefox. In short. You hve 62% on IE because they and I tend to stick with what we already uderstand and put off doing the work it takes to change over and learn the new browser. Its kinda like after ten years of learning Russian, I hate the idea at 57 learning taglog here in the Philippines. Or like the new I phone compared to the old N 95. Its jsut a matter of changing over and laziness on my part, I can't really speak for the rest.

Wes
Firefox does all this and more. Just click on the link for crissakes Wes!

The 00s are almost over!

:ufo:

elephantspike
January 27th, 2009, 12:49
For me switcing over means also switcing all my favorites and resetting the browser settings, which I already understand on I.E. 8.0.

Here is how you export bookmarks from IE:

Export IE Bookmarks (http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Internet+Explorer+Bookmark+Export+Guide)

and here is how you import them into firefox:

Import IE bookmarks into Firefox (http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_bookmarks_tutorial.html#importing_and_expo rting_bookmarks)

Don't want to make more work for you so if I'm the only BBery guy I wouldn't worry about it.

I've been planning on addressing the mobile compatibility issue anyway. I'm sure there are lots of people using mobile devices that I would like to be able to reach with this site.

Wesley
January 27th, 2009, 15:00
Okay okay so you were right, its almost twice as fast as IE. Now if you can fix my typing....? and it seems that Firefox has auto spell check as well. God what I have been missing

Wes

jcowle
January 28th, 2009, 02:32
Just converted to Mozilla Firefox, much faster should of done this a long time ago.

John

January 28th, 2009, 06:43
I'd like to hear what services in Thailand Oogle is using. My web service here gets pretty bad, generally, not in respect to just SGT. When I was in UAE in September SGT and any other website with the word "gay" associated was banned, including Gayromeo. My b/f (at the time) knew little else on the internet except how to chat on gayromeo and it was not a good feeling being cut off from communicating with him.

January 29th, 2009, 03:53
I've been using Firefox for some time & enjoying the functionality.

The one downside, is some bank websites don't seem to work fully with Firefox.

krobbie
January 29th, 2009, 04:06
I have been using Firefox both at home and for my business premises for over 3 years and I wouldn't change any time soon as there just isn't anything better.

Glad to see you have made the switch Wes. Now Spike will not have to shoot himself or self harm from sheer frustration.
:violent2:

Cheers
krobbie

Wesley
January 29th, 2009, 09:12
I have been using Firefox both at home and for my business premises for over 3 years and I wouldn't change any time soon as there just isn't anything better.

Glad to see you have made the switch Wes. Now Spike will not have to shoot himself or self harm from sheer frustration.
:violent2:

Cheers
krobbie

I could feel he was getting a bit tense there, decided it was time to act or get the AXE

Wes

elephantspike
January 29th, 2009, 09:17
Finally! :violent1:
:rolling:

x in pattaya
January 29th, 2009, 11:35
When I was in UAE in September SGT and any other website with the word "gay" associated was banned, including Gayromeo.

Strangely, I worked for the government in the UAE and my office internet access was totally uncensored, although there was a vaguely worded hint that accessing the Internet was supposed to be for work-related purposes and might be monitored. My home computer was blocked for things that didn't comply with Islamic standards ( or were considered political no-no's). Sometimes you could come across gay porn still available, such as on Yahoo Groups, but it seemed that they would monitor traffic & downloads and once detected that too would end. Oddly, in Pakistan there was no problem accessing virtually anything. The Taleban & their sympathizers were definitely lo-tech.

x in pattaya
January 31st, 2009, 09:52
Well, after struggling with off and on accessibility issues and trying Chrome & Firefox & upgrading to IE8, things were still moving slowly and I had a problem accessing another site which brought up an XP Window that offered to look into the problem. It said something about http this and that being OK but there was a problem with FTP whatever ?????? (as you can see, I'm an even more impressive tech guru than Brandon :clown: ) and it suggested firewall issues. So I reduced the firewall level on McAfee and VOILA things seem to have loosened up.

Of course, as we speak, Romanian hackers are probably emptying my bank account, but at least I have faster access to Sawatdee. I suppose that's a legitimate trade off.

ceejay
January 31st, 2009, 14:46
Advanced System Care from IoBit (free for the basic version) is worth trying:

http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

It has a tool to optimise Firefox. Don't know exactly what it does to the connection, but it worked for me. I have used the registry cleaner for quite a while - that can help speed too. If you use the "Maintain Windows" function then Privacy Sweep and Junk Files Clean will empty your cache and browsing history - so uncheck these if you con't want that to happen.