PDA

View Full Version : Thai Massage Query

litefoot2
January 22nd, 2009, 06:43
There are times when Thai Massage sans extracurricular is needed, like after you first arrive and are seriously depleted physically.

In a recent discussion Krobbie mentioned a Wat in the Sathorn area where the historic Thai massage is economically offered.

Anyone familiar with this locale, or other Wat venues (besides Wat Po--too crowded) where standard Thai massage is available?

x in pattaya
January 22nd, 2009, 07:05
Anyone familiar with this locale, or other Wat venues (besides Wat Po--too crowded) where standard Thai massage is available?

Presumably you mean in Bangkok, but on the off-hand chance you might include Pattaya, Wat Chai on Pattaya Tai offers Thai massage. I went once. Good massage and cheap but I prefer something a little more comfortable.

You shouldn't dismiss out of hand the commerical places.Even in the Silom/Surawong area you can get a good straight forward Thai massage for a few hundred baht and certainly outside the main business area you can find good massage venues that do not charge much. Inevitably the quality of the massage will depend on the individual masseur rather than the locale. There's one guy at the place on Surawong adjacent to the Tarntawan Hotel who gives a great straight forward Thai massage and the best Thai massage I've ever had was from someone in Smart in Pattaya, a venue that is obviously aimed at gay clientele.

Matters such as cleanliness (how many people before you have used the same mattress without a change of covering cloth), crowdedness (if the place is good and cheap, there will probably be a lot of people in close proximity), air conditioning, safety of personal possessions etc may not always be what you were hoping for.

bao-bao
January 22nd, 2009, 08:02
I'd be most interested to hear about places in Bangkok, too, but if youтАЩre looking for a place in Pattaya thereтАЩs always the Thai Blind Massage Institute, a charity organization in the Jomtien Complex, around the corner from MontyтАЩs, the Poseidon Hotel and the new тАЬVenueтАЭ that's still a work in progress. ItтАЩs about a seven minute walk from the beach, if you want to stop on the way back to your hotel in Jomtien or before catching the ride back to your room in Pattaya proper.

The blind masseurs and masseuses there are all very well trained in traditional Thai massage (certificates I saw showed 300 hours of practice and training) and itтАЩs quite reasonable. IтАЩm remembering Bt250 for a 90-minute massage. This is NOT a тАЬHappy EndingтАЭ kind of place. Reasonable tips are always appreciated, but they donтАЩt hang around with their hands out. WhatтАЩs тАЬreasonableтАЭ? ThatтАЩs up to you.

The receptionist has a computer screen showing a color-coded schedule for all of the therapists pictured on the wall above her and itтАЩs a mass of booked spots, rather like in a busy medical clinic. If someone recommends a specific person to you itтАЩs best to phone ahead and reserve a spot on their schedule. ItтАЩs often busy there, but even going just on a тАЬluck of the drawтАЭ basis for therapists IтАЩve never had an unsatisfactory massage there.

It opens at 10:00 in the morning, not sure how late itтАЩs open. Highly recommended.

413/8-9, Moo 10, Thappraya Road, Jomtien Beach. Ph: 038 303 418, 038 303 177. Ext 1008

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=26&image_id=2793

January 22nd, 2009, 08:27
I'd be most interested to hear about places in Bangkok, too, but if youтАЩre looking for a place in Pattaya thereтАЩs always the Thai Blind Massage Institute, a charity organization in the Jomtien Complex, around the corner from MontyтАЩs, the Poseidon Hotel and the new тАЬVenueтАЭ that's still a work in progress. ItтАЩs about a seven minute walk from the beach, if you want to stop on the way back to your hotel in Jomtien or before catching the ride back to your room in Pattaya proper.Someone took me once to a blind massage place in North Pattaya - it was a bit of a drive. Very good too and of course no happy ending.

pong
January 22nd, 2009, 09:53
here in BKk youd have to be blind not to stumble over an extra-ordinary big nr of ''nouat boraan=old style Thai massage places-and even the blind are beckoned in as they all have the at the mo available staff sitting outside and mumbling ''massad''. In this street with 6 hotels/cheap guesthouses-where I now sit in some webshop-there are at least 10 different places. Common charge for just Thai-style is 160/180 Bt/hour and no tip is really needed or even expected. If you walk 2-3 streets further away to Thai places it comes down to 100/120 bt/hr.-speekee the anglit also ups the price a bit. The higher the hotel you stay cost-the higher their hourly fee wil be. This will not give you better massage-but will give more salubrious surroundings. it is also commonly offered in nearly all the big hypermarkets-and plainly aiming at Thai customers. I must add it remains hitandmiss what you get-youre own experience with it will also help. Some places will not let you chose your masseur-other will-or in others-once youve found the ''right''one-the magic term seems to be; book a time (=appointment). When Ive found a pleasant and skillfull guy I usually tend to stick to him and visit every 4-5 days or so Most have 1 day off in the week-ask him. (or her-the females outnumber the males mostly). Also: many guidebooks tell you to go to ''Wat PO'' for that-I do not rec. that-most skillfull masseurs have some diploma from there-and its often so overcrowded and factory-like-and also cost even more-to go out of your way for.

litefoot2
January 22nd, 2009, 10:08
I've frequented the blind institute in Jomtien--it's excellent.

My main interest is in Bangkok locales. I was intrigued by the passing reference to the Wat in Sathorn, but the writer may not want to share.

I arrive in BKK in about three weeks. Something convenient to the Lumpini area--such as Sathorn--is what I'm scouting.

Given my previous experience with post arrival fatigue, I'm looking for something more laid-back than Silom-Surawong.

Thanks for the feedback.