PDA

View Full Version : Massage in Thailand

January 17th, 2009, 14:46
Hope you readers might be able to advise me.
Am travelling to Thailand and like the idea of a massage by men for men:-) First timer - would like to know protocol if any.
What to expect, average cost. Also any other info and dos and donts. Would not like to offend anyone.
Thanks for your help

x in pattaya
January 17th, 2009, 20:30
There's a thirty "page" discussion of numerous massage places in Bangkok, including very illuminating stories, comments of facilities and boys, typical charges and just about everything you could possible want to know at CFS:

http://web.cruisingforsex.com/bb/thaila ... enues.html (http://web.cruisingforsex.com/bb/thailand/331556-massage-venues.html)

You don't need to join to read through the messages. There are other shorter threads on Pattaya and Chiang Mai there too. After you read through it all, you'll have learned about all there is to learn before you actually walk through the door at Hero, Senso or wherever you choose to start.

Here too is another link to a thread here on this board. Good luck.

how-is-tawan-bar-in-soi-suriwong-so-far-t16782-15.html?hilit=senso (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/how-is-tawan-bar-in-soi-suriwong-so-far-t16782-15.html?hilit=senso)

colmx
January 17th, 2009, 21:26
A timely question as iwas about to post something similar!

When one goes to one of the 100's of (non sex) massage places in Pattaya - what is the expected tip?

eg. Oil or foot massage 300B for 1 hour - what should one give the masseur/masseuse as a tip on completion?
Thanks in Advance!

x in pattaya
January 17th, 2009, 21:46
eg. Oil or foot massage 300B for 1 hour - what should one give the masseur/masseuse as a tip on completion?
Thanks in Advance!

I assume (as opposed to know) that they aren't paid all that much and depend on tips. So the few times I've used Smart Massage on 2nd road in Pattaya (B250 for foot massage) or Tarntawan massage place in Bangkok for the basic foot massage, I gave B100. If the guy is cute & personable and gives a good massage, probably a bit more because in the greater scheme of things cute & personable boys deserve more.

On the other hand, I've had fairly straight forward Thai massages at Star massage in Pattaya and Tarntawan in Bangkok that went way beyond anything taught at Wat Poo ... mobile phone numbers were exchanged, home or hotel visits arranged and the tip was considerably more.

January 17th, 2009, 22:09
Colmx - I've wondered too what the norms are. Anyway, for a foot massage, I normally tip 100 baht. Seeing how they may do like 3 - 4 customers a day, that can add up to a fair amount (10,000 baht a month), so I don't think 100 is too low.

For a non-sex oil or thai massage upstairs, which costs about 500 baht, I'd tip about 200 or 250.

Again, I wonder what others do.

bao-bao
January 17th, 2009, 22:17
X is right - use the Search button above and do an advanced search for "massage" and the city you plan to go to as a secondary search. As a start you can check Dreaded Ned or Utopia for listings of massage venues.

Thai massage is different from what I think you're looking for here. With true Thai massage you remain clothed or wear a hospital-type gown or some other covering and there's rarely hanky panky included or assumed to be included. I personally don't go for the sex, so some of what I have below is from my own research and reading.

For the other type of massage you won't have to look far to find variations on the basics, but here's an idea:

1) Be waved in or walk into the establishment.
2) Be greeted and offered a place to sit to choose a masseur, usually including an offer for a glass of cold water.
3) Be offered a number of choices of masseurs, either by photos in a book or by a line-up of guys or - in a couple of places, such as HERO - by viewing guys through a window.
4) Ask the host/mamasan about the ones that strike your fancy - how they are at massage, if they are willing to do other things after the massage for you (IF this is what you want, it's NOT necessary), if they will disrobe during the massage (again, if you wish), what their limits are for the after-massage things (same same as last point). You can also give basic instructions at this point - gentle, firm, sore back etc... and they may even be understood!
5) Follow your guy to a room (often on the 2nd or 3rd floor) where you can undress and wrap yourself in a towel. Sometimes there is a locker/shower area - but either way, be aware of taking valuables when you go for a massage.
6) Shower (sometimes alone, sometimes with the massage guy - this is a host/mamasan question).
7) Enjoy your massage (there are a thousand variations to how this plays out, too... read the search results).
8) Shower off the oil or cream (again, sometimes alone, sometimes with the guy, and good luck getting the oil off!)
9) Tip your guy (amounts always good food for a debate here - sometimes specified on signage when you come in, sometimes advised by the host/mamasan - if there's a happy ending (orgasm/s) involved expect it to be around Bt1,000 or more. Tipping can be done in the room or at the front desk on your way out.
10) Pay for your massage and leave happy.
11) Start thinking about when you can get another one.

There are many opinions here on what place and which person is the best to try, and even more about how much to tip for massages and extras.

Also be advised that what you're told beforehand is not always what will happen when you're getting the massage. If you get a pre-massage agreement from the host and/or the masseur that is not kept you're within your weedles to report this to the host (calmly and with restraint, of course), stop the massage before you get too far into it and ask for a different masseur, or just say "mai pen rai" and try your luck again next time.

Remember, you're dealing with a human being here and not someone you should treat with anything other than the respect they deserve as such. Many have not had formal training, some learn from a co-worker and not everyone "clicks" with everyone else... just take a look at most of the threads here!!

I'll add one personal note: most places don't have a cut-out on the table to rest your face into while on your stomach so you have to turn your head to one side or the other. Some do, though, and I prefer those when I run across them.

Also, you can ask the host/mamasan if you can have the massage done in your hotel room instead of the shop itself if you're more comfortable with that or if you're planning a romp with the masseur - but make sure your room is ready for a stranger (i.e. have valuables locked up and don't have a lot of money out) in the interest of safety.

...And speaking of safety, the oil or cream used most likely is not compatible with latex condoms. BE SAFE.

Don't expect the moon, go with the flow and just enjoy yourself. Really, how often do you even get your back rubbed at home?? :cheers:

January 17th, 2009, 22:25
Traveller2009 - men-men massage places fall into 2 categories, and it's a bit tricky for a first time visitor to know which place belongs to which category. Read the forums as suggested (or my blog) and you'll get an idea which are the sexy massage places, and which are not, even if it's a guy serving you. This doesn't mean that sex doesn't happen in the second category, but it's hit and miss; you can't depend on it happening.

The following remarks pertain to the sexy massage category:

1. Enter. Wait to be welcomed by somebody who will invite you to take a seat.

2. A glass of water may miraculously appear, it will be free. Or, a menu will be placed before you and you'd be asked if you'd like to order a drink. Chargeable.

3. Another menu appears before you giving you a list of different massage treatments, with prices. Pick one. Do note that the prices relate to the massage only, not the sex. Sometimes, the menu will state the "minimum tip" Sometimes, it won't. Sometimes, the minimum tip is around 500 baht. If it is that cheap it means it does not include sex; it's only the tip for massage. Double it in your mind if you're wondering what the expected tip is for sex. If the stated minimum tip is around 1,000 baht, it means that's for sex. Do note many customers tip higher than minimum. Myself - I tip minimum for below average service, 10 - 20 percent more for satisfactory.

4. You'll be asked to choose your masseur. Different establishments have different ways of doing this. Some shove a photo album before you. Others point to the gym or some such area where you can see the boys working out. Yet others have the boys line up on parade before you. You then squirm, shift uncomfortably in your seat, try your best to avoid eye contact and want to run out of there.

5. After making that decision, you just wait while they get the room ready, pour out the oil or cream, etc. They will guide you from that point on where to put your shoes, where to go, where to shower, etc.

6. Enjoy.

bao-bao
January 17th, 2009, 23:12
4. You'll be asked to choose your masseur. Different establishments have different ways of doing this. Some shove a photo album before you. Others point to the gym or some such area where you can see the boys working out. Yet others have the boys line up on parade before you. You then squirm, shift uncomfortably in your seat, try your best to avoid eye contact and want to run out of there.
I liked parts of your instructions better than my own! It looks like between the two of us we've covered most of the basics, though. :cheers:

My guess is this will stir up a number opinions, which is usually a good thing.

Usually!

x in pattaya
January 17th, 2009, 23:40
9) Tip your guy... Tipping can be done in the room or at the front desk on your way out.
10) Pay for your massage and leave happy.
11) Start thinking about when you can get another one.

Very well thought out steps, but if I could add step 9a.

If you stay in Thailand or will be here for awhile and the guy was really good...get his name and mobile number. If it went well and you tipped well, he'll make that suggestion anyway. I can almost guarantee that. It helps to avoid the hit & miss prospect of getting him the next time you come in and/or it helps to make arrangements for him to come to your place, if that's something you'd like. Just make a note next to his name to jog your memory so you don't get names confused in the future... something I'm dealing with now as I run through some names on my mobile which I can't match to guys I remember.

re: proper Thai massage. If it's a guy giving the massage, there's a moderate chance he'll give subtle or not so subtle hints that more could be on offer if you like... either in a private room at the massage place or back in your hotel. It's happened to me more than a few times. It can be declined or accepted as you wish. Obviously for him that would result in a major leap in the expected tip.

francois
January 18th, 2009, 01:07
I'll add one personal note: most places don't have a cut-out on the table to rest your face into while on your stomach so you have to turn your head to one side or the other. Some do, though, and I prefer those when I run across them.
:cheers:
I have encountered a long mirror next to the table; you can gaze at the masseur as he works you or turn the other cheek.

January 18th, 2009, 06:28
9) ..... - if there's a happy ending (orgasm/s) involved expect it to be around Bt1,000 or more. Tipping can be done in the room or at the front desk on your way out.

On oil massage, I never had one massuer that did not attempt to jerk off my dick, even at the "normal (non-sexual)" massage place. Some of the massuers are not attractive at all. Myself, I pump iron everyday and am in very good shape. I don't see why I would tip 1000 baht for being molested by those unattractive massuers. So my attitude is that if I did not request a jerkoff orgasm and the massuer would not stop fondling my penis, I may just let him do whatever he wants, but would not pay extra tips. For me to pay 1000 baht tip, I would go to a sex massage place where I could pick the guy I like.

January 19th, 2009, 14:27
I agree to some extent with scott123, though I don't bother pumping iron 24/24. Its quite tricky, I have even had to fend off a blind masseur.

The first time I was just so sweaty, tired and befuddled from the weather and also I just didn't have the energy never mind courage to say no, and it felt pleasant. Luckily he was my type, older nicely built, tall, lean, handsome and a nice deep reassuring voice, so I just let him play a bit. Suddenly though he changed his mind and carried on massaging me in the normal way. I breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed completely eventually falling into a deep trance like state of meditation. This was exactly what I needed.

It wasn't long (always feels far to short) when I was woken up gently and asked to turn over. As I looked up I couldn't believe my blurry eyes I had to rub them to make sure I wasn't seeing things. My masseur had morphed into a striking young boy, he couldn't have been older than sixteen. He had nothing on but a short white towel and a grin. When I sat up in surprise, he asked with a tiny whisper, you like?

I wasn't sure what to do the first half of the massage had been so good, I wasn't sure who had done it but it was good. So I decided to strike a deal. I got him to lower his towel which he had begun rigourously adjusting very short and told him to finish my massage.
It didn't take long however before he realised that his manly little body and angelic good looks had struck a chord. In no time his towel was around his shoulders and he was massaging me without a stitch on. I realised this when he stood near my shoulder and and I could feel his smooth soft skinned thigh muscle hard against my hand.

The rest is history. I must add this was my very first massage and I couldn't have been much older than him at the time. I wasn't even paying it went onto my dads hotel bill. Luckily he had given me a big fat wad for taxi which I used as tip. I remember asking the masseur when he was finished, do you play football? I hadn't seen him behind the tennis court where the staff played, I imagined he would be quite good at it. As is often the case he couldn't speak a word of English so I shook his hand instead. On the way out I thought I saw the other masseur but I couldn't be sure anymore.

x in pattaya
January 21st, 2009, 18:18
Thai massage is different from what I think you're looking for here. With true Thai massage you remain clothed or wear a hospital-type gown or some other covering and there's rarely hanky panky included or assumed to be included. I personally don't go for the sex, so some of what I have below is from my own research and reading.

Really depends on the location and the interaction between masseur and client. I've had plenty of Thai massages where the massage was all I wanted and all I got, but a lot of basic massage places have rooms upstairs and straight-forward foot or Thai massages have developed into a lot more at the suggestion of the masseur, either immediately or "next time." Obviously an oil or lotion massage increases the likelihood that something will happen.

On 20th January, I went for another foot (and leg) massage at Smart Massage on the western side of 2nd Road, just a little south of Boyztown in Pattaya. The guy I got was probably straight, certainly straight looking, whereas the previous masseurs I've had were unquestionably gay. He had quite a bubbly personality as opposed to the others who were borderline comatose. He assured my that he puut dta lok and indeed was quite amusing.

Very vigorous massage, which is what I wanted, but then he insisted that what I really needed was an oil massage. Since they don't have (as far as I've seen) showers in the massage rooms and it usually takes a couple of good showers to get all the oil off, I suggested we go for a Thai massage the following morning.

He was eagerly waiting, tried offering the oil massage once again and I stuck to Thai massage. Dimly lit room. Mattress on the floor. Really excellent massage. Moderately painful (strong massage ...as requested), but the next day no aches and really felt good. Anyway, although he was initially dressed in the standard Thai massage gear, he made it apparent that he was fully erect by the time the door slid shut. Great massage for roughly an hour and then all the extras that were needed to make it an all around happy experience. I gave him B1500, BUT ...

I still can't see the point. If you want a massage, get a massage. If you want sex, take some guy back to your hotel or home where you're going to be fully comfortable and you can arrange for him to stay 30 minutes or 3 days, depending on what you feel like.

I've had the happy ending type massages at Smart, Tarntawan and Hero and in each case, as great as the guy was (and the one at Hero was fabulous) it still amounted to some gymnastic event on a table or mattress not designed for that purpose, in a dimly lit room with a clock ticking. At least when I had the guy come to my room at the Tarntawan hotel it was more relaxed, fun, visible and free of the danger of taking a dive off a table. But in terms of money spent and satisfaction gained, why not get a legitmate massage in the afternoon and then take some guy off from a bar to spend the night?

Having said that, I'll probably visit Senso, maybe Hero and possibly that other place (White something or other) the next time I'm in Krung Thep... in the afternoon and maybe, if I'm, traveling alone, take someone off at night. It makes no sense to me, but ...

Nota Bene: References to Krung Thep and puut dta lok purposely inserted to irritate a certain English language purist. :reindeer: