PDA

View Full Version : In search of a clean well lighted place

January 17th, 2009, 08:07
One of my favorite pass times is just to sit with an iced coffee, in a nice cushy chair and a good book for a couple of hours. I like Coffee Society on Silom Rd. but it's just too dark in there to sit and read for a long while. The lighting is terrible. I don't like Starbucks and would rather not hang out there. Though they do have nice chairs and good coffee. So, I turn to you all for suggestions. Where in BKK can I find this kind of place?

- Relatively quiet, for reading ( I know this is BKK and a quiet place near impossible to find )
- Lots of light, windows and A/C
- Good coffee and maybe some food or at least snacks
- Comfortable, cushy chairs to be able to sit and read for an hour or so.

I live near On Nut BTS but am willing to go anywhere along the BTS Silom Line, The BTS Suk. Line between Sala Deang and On Nut Stations or the MRT Line from Hua Lamphong to as far as the Thailand Cultural Center Station.

I await your collective insight.

Thanks for you help,

- ajarntrade

January 17th, 2009, 08:26
... you can't beat Dick's Cafe. You'll often find me there

January 17th, 2009, 08:55
Yes, I like Dicks Cafe but the seats inside suffer from bad lighting. Often times it's too hot and humid outside to sit out front, though not at this time of year. The seats outside are also FAR from comfortable and cushy.

- ajarntrade

January 17th, 2009, 10:57
Must it be a gay place?

I've done exactly that, especially during the hot or rainy season when it's impossible to go anywhere in the afternoon. I've spent hours with a book in the coffee lounges of 5-star hotels - some of them have plush, comfortable armchairs.

In Silom Complex, there is the coffee place on the 1st floor (2nd level) near the atrium; some seats are quite comfortable but they are often occupied. I've sat in a Black Canyon once with a book - but I can't remember which Black Canyon it was; I don't think it was the one in Silom Complex.

Other shopping complexes also have coffee places around an atrium, and some of them have comfy chairs.

January 17th, 2009, 14:34
No, it doesn't have to be in a gay area. Though it's always nice to have a plethora of nice looking young men to admire as they walk by.

The coffee places in 5 star hotels sounds like it might work though may be a bit stuffy and not casual enough.

Any one else?

- ajarntrade

January 17th, 2009, 14:42
Au Bon Pain on Silom next to the Dusit Thani (BTS Saladaeng)

Au Bon Pain at the Discovery Center (BTS Siam)

elephantspike
January 17th, 2009, 15:01
:coffee2: How about Starbucks.....:lam:

At MBK?

mahjongguy
January 18th, 2009, 06:13
Dasa Bookshop on Sukhumvit just east of soi 26 (two blocks from Phrom Phong BTS). Good coffee, some pastry, and lot and lots of books.

Beachlover
January 18th, 2009, 08:27
Lumpini Park is very nice on a Sunny day... just across the Rama road... it is a huge park, it almost feels you're not in Bangkok anymore.

January 18th, 2009, 08:42
Malaysia hotel i been told quiet nice for coffee