PDA

View Full Version : Niall Ferguson The Ascent of Money

gearguy
January 15th, 2009, 09:05
watch online at:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ascentofmoney/f ... -money/24/ (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ascentofmoney/featured/watch-full-program-the-ascent-of-money/24/)

One week before a new President who campaigned on a promise to fix the economy takes office, public media provider WNET.ORG is putting the meaning of money into context тАУ where it came from, where it goes, and why it has always been (and always will be) the fulcrum of civilization. THE ASCENT OF MONEY, a two-hour documentary based on the newly-released book The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World (Penguin Group USA), will premiere on Tuesday, January 13 at 9 p.m. (ET) on PBS (check local listings). The film is written and presented by the bestselling author, economist, historian, and Harvard professor Niall Ferguson. An expanded, four-hour version of THE ASCENT OF MONEY will air on PBS later in 2009.

In THE ASCENT OF MONEY, Ferguson тАУ whose series War of the World garnered critical attention last summer тАУ traces the evolution of money and demonstrates that financial history is the essential back-story behind all history. тАЬEveryone needs to understand the complex history of money and our relationship to it,тАЭ he says. тАЬBy learning how societies have continually created and survived financial crises, we can find solid solutions to todayтАЩs worldwide economic emergency.тАЭ As he traverses historic financial hot spots around the world, Ferguson illuminates fundamental economic concepts and speaks with leading experts in the financial world.

Funding for THE ASCENT OF MONEY is provided by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, The Smith Richardson Foundation, James and Merryl Tisch, and PBS. Additional funding for educational materials is provided by the Calvin K. Kazanjian Economics Foundation, Inc.

THE ASCENT OF MONEY is a co-production of Chimerica Media Limited and THIRTEEN in association with WNET.ORG. Series writer and presenter is Niall Ferguson. Series producer is Melanie Fall. Series director is Adrian Pennick. Executive producer is Simon Berthon. For WNET.ORG, William R. Grant is executive producer. Stephen Segaller is executive-in-charge.

January 15th, 2009, 15:50
Funding for THE ASCENT OF MONEY is provided by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, The Smith Richardson Foundation, James and Merryl Tisch, and PBS. Additional funding for educational materials is provided by the Calvin K. Kazanjian Economics Foundation, Inc.

THE ASCENT OF MONEY is a co-production of Chimerica Media Limited and THIRTEEN in association with WNET.ORG. Series writer and presenter is Niall Ferguson. Series producer is Melanie Fall. Series director is Adrian Pennick. Executive producer is Simon Berthon. For WNET.ORG, William R. Grant is executive producer. Stephen Segaller is executive-in-charge.I'm asleep already

January 17th, 2009, 20:17
Strangely my video recorder picked up a programme with the same name, production company and presenter from the broadcasts of Channel 4 on 22/12/08.

My video recorder is probably hyperintelligent and seems to pick up programmes it feels I ought to see. I don't remember programming it to record this but I spent most of the last two months running between conferences and skiing.

I like Niall Fergusson's explanations of the development of that most marvellous of institutions, the British Empire, but really this programme was so full of stock footage of Hong Kong's Aberdeen Harbour, Wanchai, Mongkok and views from the Peak I was expecting to see Jackie Chan or James Bond jump out any second - until he presented his actual position. Historians as economists? Well I'd got pretty tired of seeing Chinese economic trajectories with ne'er a hint of a plateau never mind a downturn.