PDA

View Full Version : Hanoi

Surfcrest
March 27th, 2006, 11:42
A group of us from Pattaya will be in Hanoi in mid-April.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Hanoi, Vietnam?

Surfcrest

March 27th, 2006, 12:29
A group of us from Pattaya will be in Hanoi in mid-April.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Hanoi, Vietnam?

Surfcrest

Tighten Immigration control?

Dick
March 28th, 2006, 03:54
Is that going in to Hanoi, returning back to Thailand, or both?
I don't think one can ever be too careful these days!

Bob
March 28th, 2006, 05:43
I personally don't know diddley (Bo or otherwise) but I want to do a sidetrip to Hanoi someday and hope somebody who has been there will reply here. I talked to a couple of people who've been there and they loved the place....said the people are as friendly as the thais, the french colonial architecture is lovely, great restaurants, etc. I want to see some photos!

March 28th, 2006, 07:51
And now oh-so-cheap to get there now that Air Asia flies there. Take your Thai bf with you...he doesn't need a visa (you do).

gearguy
March 28th, 2006, 09:17
side trip to Halong Bay should be part of your plans.

adman5000
March 28th, 2006, 12:06
I enjoyed my visit to Hanoi several months ago. I stayed near the lake and it made for great walking, dining, and sightseeing near this area. But do not pick up anyone around the lake. There have been serious problems with badboys in this area - they may offer to come back to your room, take you to visit somewhere by taxi, etc. There are many scams around the lake. In fact, of all of my traveling I found I needed to have my guard on maximum alert in Viet Nam. I suggest you read Lonely Planet Guide - I found it to have great suggestions on sightseeing and dining. Know the prices for taxi and exchange rates. Scams start with taxi at the airport, continue with cyclo drivers even when you think you have agreed on a price but this can still be fun - just hold your ground, and may also involve currency translation "mistakes" at the hotel. But if you know what you are doing, you'll be ok. Hotels are cheap and most can book you a day or overnight guided tour to Halong Bay and it is a great value (<$30 USD) and great experience. I recommend the overnight (I did the hotel but you can stay on a boat also if you like to be rocked to sleep). Many interesting things to see in Hanoi, clean, no begging as the police take them off the streets, great food, and interesting things to see and do. Very handsome people also.

Also, I got my Visa in one day in BKK for VN.

lonelywombat
March 28th, 2006, 17:01
When I went to HCM I had a guide arranged by Utopia, it really made it all worthwhile.

http://www.utopia-asia.com/tipsviet.htm

try gaydar.com.uk and search for people who advertise themselves as tour guides, if utopia seem too much.

My attitude if you are going to visit it only once then saving a dollar or three is stupid.

Get a guide from a gay travel agency and feel safe.

Surfcrest
April 1st, 2006, 18:47
I am flying to Hanoi for a little more than a week and then return back to Thailand.

Utopia has arranged things for us, including 4 days on a boat in Halong Bay.

I'll be in Hanoi for the balance of the time.

No Thai BF.

I'm not sure what to do in Hanoi.

I don't know anyone that has gone before for any "must do" suggestions.

Any good suggestions would surely be appreciated.

Thanks

Surfcrest