PDA

View Full Version : de Arni hoel

January 14th, 2009, 06:08
This review is rally late. I stayed at the de Arni for five nights over New Year's. In short, except the low introduction rates, there is nothing to recommend about the new hotel across Surawong from Tarntawan. The flip side is that, except for its location -- smack dab in the middle of the sex tourist ghetto -- there is nothing that would warrant the de Arni being crossed off anyone's list of possible Bangkok lodgings.

In the plus column are:
1. A really great staff;
2. Front-desk lock boxes (in addition to in-room safes).

In the minus column are:
1. Noise from the major street outside and from other guests as they come and go. The halls and rooms are not carpeted, and there is nothing to muffle the sound of doors closing shut and of other guests chattering on their way to the elevator -- and of the elevator itself.
2. the overall cheap look to the hotel (even the brand new TVs are small-screen, big-box old-fashioned CRTs -- I didn't even know they still made those). Also, the shower curtain rod in the first room I stayed in fell after I hung a rung-out wash cloth on it. The room I moved to was even noisier than the first because it had one of those double doors connecting it to another room where some guy with a really nasty cough was staying.

Three other matters:
1. The water coming out of the taps was clear except for the first second or so of hot water, but the water was still contaminated and shaving with it gave me a rash. This is common in low and mid-priced Bangkok hotels.
2. No problem bringing a guest back to your room. Twice I brought back guests I had met at G.O.D. The front desk clerk simply asked for my friend's ID card. When leaving the next morning, the ID card was returned and my guest forced to sign a Xerox copy of it that the clerk had made. I don't know how I feel about that.
3. The hotel appears to be popular among Asian families, and other guests checking in at 5:30 in the morning gave me the evil eye when returning to the hotel with another guy who had darker skin and a younger complexion than mine.

mahjongguy
January 14th, 2009, 06:23
I stayed there on Christmas Eve. My evaluation is similar to yours but slightly more positive.

The staff really were terrific. I skipped the promo rate and paid 2100 for a top floor room with a King bed. There was no noise from outside, but it's true that hallway noise could be an issue.

I had stayed at the Inn On Saladaeng twice before, which is a bit cheaper and more convenient, but I liked the de Arni better and will likely stay there again. For me the biggest downside was having to cross Suriwong Road. There's no good way to do it.

TOQ
January 14th, 2009, 06:48
I have stayed there twice and had no problems what so ever. I also took the larger room , once on the 4th floor and once on the 6th floor. Sound was not an issue at all. No problems with the water. It was clean and hot. Water pressure out of the shower head was very good. They also have wireless and wired internet in the room. Signal is strong

I must agree that the staff is wonderful. What I did find to be a problem was the food service. The first time I stayed they served breakfast in an area in the basement.. but it was never open when I was there. The second trip they had moved the dining area to the second floor. It is a nice large bright and airy room.. However, the food was terrible.. It is a buffet and all the hot food was cold. Fried eggs way over cooked and bacon undercooked. Expensive too. 150B.

I also will stay there again but skip on the restaurant.

john

sydneyboy
January 14th, 2009, 12:44
I have not been to Bangkok for a few years but I am familiar with the area in question having stayed at the Tarntawan many times and the Siam Heritage once. Where is the de Arni in relation to the Tarntawan, Rose and the new Le Meridien?

Sen Yai
January 14th, 2009, 13:01
sydneyboy, it's directly opposite the Siam Heritage and almost next door to (west) Le Meridien. See this thread: http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/another-new-silom-hotel-t16478.html?hilit=arni

When I stayed there I was not conscious of any noise, although the corridors are not carpeted (or air-conditioned) so I can believe that anyone making a noise in the corridor would be heard in the room. I agree that the staff are very friendly, but the only problem I had was with the availability (or lack of) towels. When I checked in, they apologised that there were no towels, but promised them within an hour. I went out to buy a few things, but no towels when I came back. So I went to the gym (showered there) and went to eat. Still no towels when I cam back, despite earlier promises. I made another plea, and there was a single, fresh but slightly damp towel on the bed when I returned from DJ at 3:00am.

I think these problems (together with TOQ's breakfast experience, which I skipped) are the reason for the heavily discounted 'soft-launch' rates currently on offer. I'm sure that when they have sorted out the kitchen and laundry, and can offer a consistent service, then the rates will rise.

adman5000
January 14th, 2009, 17:19
I would agree with many of the comments. The noise level was the most bothersome from both the street and the hallway. I used earplugs to overcome. In regards to breakfast, you can order eggs cooked to order to avoid the cold fried eggs. I thought the service folks were top notch and very helpful at all times.
The signage is also mostly non-existent so if you are trying to tell someone where your hotel is you must give the landmarks.
Location is superb.
All the furniture is new and the rooms are well decorated and very clean.
I also enjoyed going down the street a bit to the Taste of Thai for some Thai fastfood. I thought it was very fresh, well prepared for Farang taste, and reasonably priced.
For me, great location at a competitive price trumped all else.

nanette
January 15th, 2009, 15:02
For US50 inclusive of taxes & services, but without breakfast, I consider it to be the best value for money, taking into account its location,& being a new hotel. Totally wonderful staff, and very guests friendly. I used earplugs, so the noise didn't bother me, and the room on the seventh floor was very comfortable. They also have rooms facing the back(Le Meridien), without the mainstreet noise. I prefer small hotels without the busloads of tourists. However the swimming pool was not yet ready. I didn't try out the restaurant either. The various entertainment venues are all around within walking distance. :cheers:

mahjongguy
January 16th, 2009, 06:51
There's going to be a pool? I saw no mention of it.