PDA

View Full Version : Police Raid Soi Twilight

lo-so
January 10th, 2009, 11:42
Last night the BIB were out in force along twilight, with the exits manned to check id's. Farangs without were basically scolded (quite severely) but no further action taken but many boys were rounded up and indeed handcuffed before being taken away. According to two bar owners this was one of, if not the biggest raid by the police seen on the soi in the last few years.

January 10th, 2009, 12:04
bet they never go round the shopping malls or patpong market and scold some tourists.

TrongpaiExpat
January 10th, 2009, 12:58
This must be what was behind the post by Scott123 about the lights coming on at DJ's and everyone walking out.

What time was this action and was it a pee test raid? Asking for ID's or Passports?

I was out last night around Silom soi 4 and noticed that the place was packed with customers. At 2230 hrs. both Telephone and Balcony were at capacity. It was difficult to walk along Silom with the crowds. This time last month on a Friday, you could walk down the soi with ease. I was meeting some friends and when I got there we all decided that there were just too many people to get a seat. We decided not to venture over to Soi Twilight--lucky I guess. I had to pick up a few things at Foodland and made my way through the Patpong bars and noticed that business had picked up there as well. I then made it out back on Silom getting bumped by fast walkers, pushed aside, and crowded and and it took 10 min to get a taxi, usually there's hundreds parked and moving around Silom and Convent but they were being taken faster than they could be replenished.

So, NOW, that finally the tourist make a return to Thailand, they are greeted with an police raid checking ID's ???????????

January 10th, 2009, 13:01
Last night the BIB were out in force along twilight, with the exits manned to check id's. Farangs without were basically scolded (quite severely) but no further action taken but many boys were rounded up and indeed handcuffed before being taken away. According to two bar owners this was one of, if not the biggest raid by the police seen on the soi in the last few years.Hot damn. I always miss out. I do hope The Colonel's APEC Business Card came in useful - I'm sure he must have been there.

January 10th, 2009, 13:24
I suppose the new prime minister is fully in charge now....lol.

January 10th, 2009, 13:39
nah, the BIB just need some extra baht for the upcoming Chinese New Year celebrations.....all those little red envelopes to fill up

lo-so
January 10th, 2009, 15:34
Approx. 40 plod arrived at about 11.30 and stayed for just slightly longer than an hour. The ones at the entrances seemed to be the harshest in their attitude.

Sen Yai
January 10th, 2009, 15:41
Approx. 40 plod arrived at about 11.30 and stayed for just slightly longer than an hour. The ones at the entrances seemed to be the harshest in their attitude.

What was this raid about? Why were boys hand-cuffed? Why were farangs scolded ('quite severly')?

TrongpaiExpat
January 10th, 2009, 17:44
[quote="lo-so":20recg8n]Approx. 40 plod arrived at about 11.30 and stayed for just slightly longer than an hour. The ones at the entrances seemed to be the harshest in their attitude.

What was this raid about? Why were boys hand-cuffed? Why were farangs scolded ('quite severly')?[/quote:20recg8n]

Yes, a little more detail would be appreciated. "At the entrances" to what, the bars, the soi what? I guess there were no sex shows last night?

At least know I know why I was getting pushed around and out of the way with everyone trying to get a taxi over by Silom and Convent, it was just about 11:30. One farang almost knocked me to the pavement crossing Silom.

lo-so
January 10th, 2009, 19:42
They set up the barricades at the two entry points onto the soi - across from Hotmail and beside Balls Bar.In addition the police went into each of the individual bars. Pee tests seemed to be undertaken.
Sorry Sen Yai I am not privy to the deliberations of the BIB as to why they staged what they did last night - but if the intention was to rightly foul up the evening then they most assuredly succeeded.

TrongpaiExpat
January 11th, 2009, 11:28
Thanks for the report lo-so, I am sure everyone (trolls excluded) appreciated it. You just have to realize that police raids asking farangs for passports is one of the board hot button issues and your report was a little cryptic and vague. Had you reported that this happen in Pattaya the thread would have become flooded with posts about Thai law requirements, copies of passports, visa copies, carry your passport or not, keep it in the hotel safe or not and then the inevitable food fight fueled by the trolls.

Next time you report an observation it would be nice if you did it in first person and told a story, start out like:

It was a dark and stormy night and as I was working my my fifth gin and tonic when suddenly and without warning I noticed...............