PDA

View Full Version : Police corruption - gotta love Thailand

January 9th, 2009, 12:49
CHIANG MAI: -- Some 50 traffic policemen of the Chiang Mai head office Friday field complaint against their peer, alleging him with cheating them out of Bt1.2 million in traffic fine rewards. The policemen filed complaint against Police Senior Sergeant Major Thanawat Sinpieng, 47, at the Muang district police station.

They said Thanawat was assigned to withdraw the money of traffic fine rewards for December from the Krung Thai Bank's San Pa Khoy branch in the Muang district on December 29 but he disappeared. The money was for sharing among 150 traffic policemen, they said. They said Thanawat was earlier assigned to withdraw the money several times with no problem.

He has disappeared with his family.

January 9th, 2009, 14:05
Welcome to LOS.
By now, I have learned to turn deaf to all the illegal, injustice, inhumane and many evil things here while staying in Thailand. It makes my life here easier. I come here for sex and pleasure, that is all I care about.

January 9th, 2009, 15:22
And how about Europe and the rest of the world? Where is the money gone what got lost in the world wide finance crises? Money not get lost -it just change and switched the owner. Here in Thailand you call it corruption in Europe you call it extra tax. Even in USA you can be Senator if you offer the biggest amount of money. Come on guys -it's always easy to blame Thailand - it's the same in the whole world just in different ways. How many farangs are here with a crime history of same cases?

puckered_penguin
January 10th, 2009, 07:41
The Police are legally allowed to retain 60% of traffic related fines. This was introduced with the intention of reducing corruption amongst individual policemen running unauthorised road blocks or pocketing convenience fines, i.e pay me now or pay more at the police station.

January 10th, 2009, 08:22
If everybody is aware about the system and bribes, there is no corruption but simply a common source of income for people in charge.

Paying the right person at right time is saving a lot of hassle. Alternatives are often very impractical.

Otherwise, just stick to the rules - and any payment of bribes isn't nessesary.

Bob
January 10th, 2009, 19:03
The Police are legally allowed to retain 60% of traffic related fines.

I learn something new (perhaps) every day. Would you please elaborate as to your source of information here. What's the law and how is it supposed to work (collection in traffic or distribution through the government)?