PDA

View Full Version : Gay Life in Chang Mai

January 8th, 2009, 17:04
Hello All,

I'm new to the boards here so I hope to have a good experience on this site. Currently I am pursuing job options to allow relocating to Thailand either short term or long term. I'm particularly interested in the northern city of Chang Mai since I hear it is friendlier and more laid back than Bangkok and Pattaya. Anyone care to offer any insights into the gay life/venues/boys etc. up there?

Thanks in advance,

Wit

January 8th, 2009, 17:19
Welcome on board Wit.

Here some links that might be helpful:

http://dragoncastle.net/chiangmai.shtml

http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/index/2

http://www.stickyrice.ws/?view=directory&country=th&place=chm

Good Luck.

kjun12
January 9th, 2009, 01:57
I recently spent a considerable time working on this topic. Spent two weeks looking around Chiang Mai and finally decided that I would be better off in Bangkok. Having been reared in a town of with a population of about 16,000, I, in no way, consider myself to be a city boy.

But, I felt that Bangkok would better fulfill my desires and needs. Chaing Mai presented several pluses (I will discuss those later), but Bangkok is certainly more exciting. No market anywhere in Thailand can match Jatujak and the public Transportation is excellent. There are many more entertainment venues and more things to do. The fact which tipped the scales is that my boyfriend has a fairly good job with a bank in Bangkok and it is not possible for him to transfer to a branch in Chiang Mai.

Chaing Mai does have a slower pace of life . Property is much cheaper to rent or buy. Traffic is nothing nearly as bad as BKK. Friendliness of the population is about equal for both BKK & CM.

If you have the time, spend a couple of weeks in CM and decide for yourself. If you are not familiar with BKK you cannot get to scratch the surface in one week or even two.

Good luck.

January 9th, 2009, 04:31
try living in each city for a year before making a decision and making any permanent arrangements. or at least visit each city if your havent already (your post makes it seem that you havent visited Chiangmai yet?). Living in a place is a different experience to visiting there for a few days or weeks.

January 10th, 2009, 21:44
Thank you gentlemen for your input, advice and links. I can see the appeal of living in both cities (CM and BKK) as well as living on one of the many gorgeous beaches lining both sides of the Thai peninsula. I have the resources to explore both, or rather all three areas and plan to do so by the end of this year if all goes well before making any lasting decisions. Meanwhile I will be more apt to monitoring the board than posting so that I can increase my knowledge of real life Thai culture and living, and not just tales of the naughty bits. ;)

Wit

January 11th, 2009, 12:35
Hello All,

I'm new to the boards here so I hope to have a good experience on this site. Currently I am pursuing job options to allow relocating to Thailand either short term or long term. I'm particularly interested in the northern city of Chang Mai since I hear it is friendlier and more laid back than Bangkok and Pattaya. Anyone care to offer any insights into the gay life/venues/boys etc. up there?

Thanks in advance,

Wit

Chiang Mai is the city of choice for those pensioners who can't cope with the cut and thrust of retired life in Pattaya. If your social life needs to include other foreigners then you will find the old folks much 'nicer' there.