PDA

View Full Version : RSS feeds: The New "Our Friends" page

elephantspike
January 6th, 2009, 06:26
I have outgoing and incoming RSS feeds now. Click on the rss icon in your browser address bar to add up-to-the-second bookmarks for Sawatdee Gay Thailand posts right to your browser bookmarks or your yahoo or google homepage.

On the left column, second block down of the forum index and portal pages, I am publishing feeds from other relevant sites. If anyone knows of any appropriate RSS feeds they would like added, please let me know.

Static backlinks are soooo mid-'00's!

elephantspike
January 24th, 2009, 06:04
The other new "our friends" page, the top referrers block towards the bottom left of the forum index has been updated. There were all kinds of redundant Google mirror sites and other search engines and email server ips and the like that were nudging some of our real link partners out of the top 25 referrers that I have it set to show. I just found the settings to filter-out those and now it seems to be showing a more accurate listing of our actual "friends".

I just discovered this one:

http://bontong.com/index.html

on the list. I had no idea that site or that restaurant even existed, let alone that they were linking to me. It does look like a nice place, though, and this current method of backlinking adds them to the list automatically.

Smiles
January 24th, 2009, 09:54
" ... The other new "our friends" page, the top referrers block towards the bottom left of the forum index has been updated. There were all kinds of redundant Google mirror sites and other search engines and email server ips and the like that were nudging some of our real link partners out of the top 25 referrers that I have it set to show. I just found the settings to filter-out those and now it seems to be showing a more accurate listing of our actual "friends" ... "
May I suggest a translator who can help the non-geek laymen here to understand what you are talking about. You know a hell of a lot about this stuff ElephantSpike, and all power to you for that, but there really does exist a real need for explanations in simple english.

But the 'Friend's List' is very welcome, so carry on ... :cheers: I'm off on a hour-long search now to try and find it using your directions. :pirate:

Cheers ...

elephantspike
January 24th, 2009, 13:33
OK, I have simplified it for "right brained" types. This part:

[attachment=0:39qweiiz]fairydust.png[/attachment:39qweiiz]

Shows the block I'm talking about.

I added it only 2 weeks ago, and there is a setting that I set to make it only show the top 25 sites that people click through to get here. The problem was that almost all of them were variations of google, i.e. google.com, google.co.uk, google.th, etc.

What I just changed is that I filtered out all of those redundant google realms so now it shows the top 25 sites that actually link here on purpose.

I don't have to check and see who is linking to me in order to do them the courtesy of editing in a link back to them anymore. The script automatically shows my link back to them as soon as they link to me and a few people click through their link to me.

Khaow Chai Mai, Khrap?

x in pattaya
January 24th, 2009, 19:34
I find some of the advertisers who choose (??) to run ads here rather amusing. Not exactly pinpointing the potential market to get the best return on one's advertising budget.

http://www.thailovelines.com/skins/blue/images/thai-dating-a.jpg

elephantspike
January 24th, 2009, 20:53
Those are from google adsense. The advertisers don't specifically choose which sites their ads will appear on, they just bid on keywords and when those keywords come up on a site, it triggers their ads. I would guess that in this case, the keywords would be something like "Thailand", "relationship", "sex" or something like that.

Also, I'm not sure about that specific site, but most dating sites do have options for "man seeking man" even though it may not be made that apparent on the front page.

Some ads are more specifically gay targeted than others:

[attachment=0:1v7v2wou]gayads.png[/attachment:1v7v2wou]