PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Walking Street Chiang Mai

Surfcrest
March 27th, 2006, 00:29
Sunday Walking Street
Chiang Mai

Every Sunday afternoon they close Th Ratchadamnoen and many of the subsidiary streets in the old city of Chiang Mai for the Sunday Walking Street Market.
ItтАЩs not like the Pattaya Walking Street, this one is only the walking street while this Sunday market is going on.
Chiang Mai is famous for itтАЩs Night Bizarre Market that extends nightly from Th Chang Khlan from Th Tha Phae to Th Si Donchai, but the Sunday Market in the old City, extending from Tapae Gate down Th Ratchadamneon is so much more. The night market is mainly the same wares that you would find in the PatPong at night. That being copies of original expensive wares, Lois Vitton, Gucci, Versace etcтАж
The Sunday Market brings craftsmen and artists from throughout the north to sell their original wares on the street direct to you. Of course there is several stalls selling third party stuff that the Hill tribes may or may not have produced. If you know these items by sight, you will be able to distinguish this stuff from the original works produced by northern artists.
I bought the most amazing painting from and artist who nearly cried when he told me that he was selling his son to me.
The market is advertised to begin at 2 pm, but they donтАЩt start shutting the streets down until 4pm and many are still setting up their stalls well after that. If you know Chiang Mai people, you will know that they avoid the sun like vampires and so the crowds donтАЩt get big until after dusk. With so many stunning guys to see, one can get whip-lash just checking out the amazing guys.
Although the market is advertised to include only Th Rathadamnoen, it extends well beyond this, encompassing side streets and any site containing a temple or Wat. You can eat some of the best street food in Thailand from the stalls that have prepared noodles, grills, woks etcтАж.
Near the center of the old city, stages are set up for live entertainment, the misic is quite good.
They had Thai music playing from speakers throughout town. Although iot can be irritating at first, as they play some of the same songs over and over, they kind of grow on you.
If you plan on traveling through Chiang Mai, make sure you are there on a Sunday afternoon. This is one Thai market you donтАЩt want to miss. DonтАЩt expect that what you see here you will be able to buy cheaper in Bangkok. Unless itтАЩs third party stuff, you wonтАЩt ever see it again.

Surfcrest

Bob
March 27th, 2006, 06:58
"I bought the most amazing painting from and artist who nearly cried when he told me hat he was selling his son to me. "

I'll bet it's a copy of the same one he moaned about selling me in November. (Just kidding)

The Sunday walking street is usually very crowded (at least by 8 or 9PM) and you need to be prepared to take it slow when it's really hot out. But certainly, next to Chatachuchak in Bangkok, one of the bigger markets of wares around.

P.S. Surfcrest, if you want a very good massage (regular...nothing "special"), you ought to go out to the Olde Thai Medicine Hospital and go for a 2-hour massage (think its about 300 baht). Very relaxing and most of the masseurs do a very good job.