PDA

View Full Version : Congratulation on the Move

January 1st, 2009, 03:17
Well done ES. The move seems to be a success. The forum page will take a little getting use to, but once inside I like the clean look.

Happy New Year :cheers:

Bob
January 1st, 2009, 04:28
Yep, interesting so far (and I just figured out it won't let you post something with a bazillion smilies at the end. So, I'll just pick the one smilie that seems to best describe this board at times: :argue:).

joba
January 1st, 2009, 04:46
Nice job - congratulations and thanks. Looks fun and I'm sure will be better. A good reason to think about reuping for another cash contribution.

elephantspike
January 1st, 2009, 04:49
I think there may be a setting in my control panel that can be adjusted to allow a bazillion smilies in a post. I'll check.

One thing I like about this new software is that the layout is very customizable by the user. There are 3 styles to choose from as before in your user control panel>board preferences, but also you can put the user profiles on thread pages on the left or right. Also if you click on the square icon over the menu bar on the top right, it takes you to the portal page where you can drag the portal blocks anywhere you like. Any ones you put on the sides will appear on the sides on the forum index as well, and any blocks you put in the center will not show on the forum index.

Check out the photo galleries! Or any post with multiple images. click on one and it slideshows every image in the post. Cool or what?

BTW- Special thanks to Bao-bao for the photos used in the header.

elephantspike
January 1st, 2009, 04:58
Nice job - congratulations and thanks. Looks fun and I'm sure will be better. A good reason to think about reuping for another cash contribution.

Much appreciated. On that subject........

It is board features>donate. It still adds you as a Golden member if you are not already one which still gives you attachment, blog, and album (now called "gallery") privledges. Sometimes it logs you out before you click the donate button though, so make sure you are logged in before you click on it to make sure the software upgrades you. If not, though, I can upgrade you manually just PM me or email me with the same address as your paypal to let me know if it doesn't do it automatically.

There is not yet a feature to add points ("karma") for donations available yet, or one to add the list of donors to the whosonline box, but I'm sure that's coming soon.

jolyjacktar
January 1st, 2009, 08:31
Spike old chap i did like the old format better with the avatar on the left of the page. But hey shit happens

elephantspike
January 1st, 2009, 11:25
Spike old chap i did like the old format better with the avatar on the left of the page. But hey shit happens

One thing I like about this new software is that the layout is very customizable by the user. There are 3 styles to choose from as before in your user control panel>board preferences, but also you can put the user profiles on thread pages on the left or right.

control panel>user control panel> board preferences> If available, chose preferred profile position:> left or right.

Fix it yourself.

:santa:

January 1st, 2009, 11:28
Thank you for all your hard work all year long. The transition looks like it went smoothly. Happy New year

January 1st, 2009, 22:38
Nice one Spike, very well done. Just a minor point, in control panel/user control panel, the sub menu has a tranparent background. Woul be easier to read if it were black.

Edit to say that having checked it out, that fault only appears in IE6 on my machine. Opera and Firefox both show black background.
IE whinges about ayntax error line 87 char 1

Smiles
January 2nd, 2009, 09:07
Looks great Bob ... and thanks for the tip on shifting the avatar & profile info back to the left hand side where most folks are used to it being. I would never have thought to look under 'Preferences' to do that.

For anyone who missed Bob's set up tip for this, here it is again:

Control Panel >> User Control Panel >> Board Preferences >> (scroll down to): Preferred Profile Position >> toggle Left or Right switch

Voila! your avatar is back in familiar territory.

Bob ... a 'glitch'!! the 'SIZE' feature does not seem to work at all. Tried using various size options, but it reverts vback to normal size no matter which one you choose.

Cheers ...

quiet1
January 2nd, 2009, 11:07
A minor tweak I would like to see:

Each browser tab/window has a title bar: "Sawatdee Gay Thailand - View Topic - [topic name]," so when multiple tabs are open, the topic name cannot be seen.

I often open multiple tabs at a time, and used to be able to see the thread title in each tab, but now all I see is the site name, so all tabs look alike.

elephantspike
January 2nd, 2009, 13:21
Wait a minute....size feature? what size feature? I didn't know there was a size feature. Size for what?.....Are you a size queen?

Re- Page titles: That is coming soon. It is mainly for SEO purposes, but that is exactly what it does- remove redundant and irrelevant phrases from the page titles so each one will be unique.

One minor style flaw of having the avatars on the left using the default prosilver_se template is that the "online" ribbon is obscured behind the avatar.

Speaking of avatars... I wonder what happened to Quiet1's avatar. It is supposed to assign random smiley images to people with no avatar just to fill up that space.

elephantspike
January 2nd, 2009, 17:13
well well arnt we slow and new move you should look in Preferences but been the SPIT it better to be slow

Hey that reminds me....

There is a block that comes with the portal that contains a Babelfish translation widget. Perhaps I should activate it?

GayThailand
January 2nd, 2009, 17:17
The new board looks great. Congrats on a job well done!

January 2nd, 2009, 19:42
all working well here - congrats es & jinks.

Finally got my conversion done. Just got to add some mods etc ,settle on a style and go live - wish me luck!

:cheers: :salute: :thumbright: :santa:

quiet1
January 2nd, 2009, 21:13
Speaking of avatars... I wonder what happened to Quiet1's avatar. It is supposed to assign random smiley images to people with no avatar just to fill up that space.
Yeah, and I didn't like having random smiley avatars, so I loaded a neutral solid color square .gif as my avatar. :-P

(Hmmm. Why do italics appear in a smaller size than other text in preview?)

RonanTheBarbarian
January 2nd, 2009, 23:48
Looks well, Bob.

Is there any way though, that you can stretch out the forum page so the gray area in each side is not so big - I find it a bit disconcerting.

jinks
January 3rd, 2009, 00:20
Looks well, Bob.

Is there any way though, that you can stretch out the forum page so the gray area in each side is not so big - I find it a bit disconcerting.

Go to your UCP user control panel... {you all got that I won't have to repeat it will I ?}
In Board preferences select a different style.

Personally I still prefer subSilver :)

elephantspike
January 3rd, 2009, 00:54
If you like everything about this style except the narrowness, use prosilver. This is prosilver special edition I have for the default style. It is just a narrow version of prosilver with less blue highlights. I have added the dropdown menus and header images and removed the site name and description from the header on both styles.

subsilver2 is more for people with slower machines and connections. It looks pretty much exactly like subSilver on the old software. I have not applied any syle edits to this template other than ones that need to be there to make modifications and add-ons work. It is lite on the images and style related scripts. I don't have the calandar feature on subsilver2 yet.

January 3rd, 2009, 01:08
Bob ... a 'glitch'!! the 'SIZE' feature does not seem to work at all. Tried using various size options, but it reverts vback to normal size no matter which one you choose.

Smiles, you probably mean what I (edit: and Quiet 1) have also noticed - underlining, italicizing or emboldening anything makes it a smaller font than normal (eg test or test or test), which would seem to be the opposite to what is normally wanted, and additionally changing the font size only works with normal text (not underlined, etc).

January 3rd, 2009, 01:22
If you like everything about this style except the narrowness, use prosilver.

Alternatively, as I mentioned on the similar thread on the Global forum, use this style (Special Edition) and just "zoom" in under "view", which avoids the glare of the Prosilver version and gives, effectively, a larger font and is much easier (at least to me!) to read.

elephantspike
January 3rd, 2009, 03:40
test
test
test
test
test
test
test
test

OK, I see you mean the BB code. Apparently the size tag needs to be nested inside the b,i, or u tags in order for both to show.

Speaking of bb code, that reminded me to add in the youtube BB code, which is super simple for me to do with the new software. Just add a couple of lines of code in my ACP. No messy files to edit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb7Kb0gW8zk&feature=related

OK, if you click through any kind of search function on youtube you get a url with variables that won't embed as above. You need to only use the part of the url before the &

[youtube:3kzdcrcn]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb7Kb0gW8zk[/youtube:3kzdcrcn]

I think any embedded you tube videos that were posted pre-conversion may need to be edited and reposted in order to show.

elephantspike
January 3rd, 2009, 09:10
There is still that icon that takes you to the last post on a thread, its just smaller now:

[attachment=0:3eg8gy8s]icon.png[/attachment:3eg8gy8s]

elephantspike
January 3rd, 2009, 10:21
Unique page titles running now.

Smiles
January 3rd, 2009, 11:14
Sizing feature works perfectly now, though you have to put it in the correct position. By the looks of it it's best to size your script first, then do any other formatting. I don't believe the old version was quite so picky.

One small aesthetic issue: The 'Sawatdee Gay Thailand' main header at the top of the page looks awfully squished together, and when you add in the white shading to that the whole banner takes on a 'hard-to-read" quality.
If you are using the same image for the header that you did on the old version, then perhaps it needs to be re-jigged a bit as it did not seem to travel over here all that well.

On the whole though ... looking VERY good. Thanks for all the hard work.

Cheers ...

elephantspike
January 3rd, 2009, 13:02
Sizing feature works perfectly now, though you have to put it in the correct position. By the looks of it it's best to size your script first, then do any other formatting. I don't believe the old version was quite so picky.
Yes, that's what I said:

Apparently the size tag needs to be nested inside the b,i, or u tags in order for both to show.

One small aesthetic issue: The 'Sawatdee Gay Thailand' main header at the top of the page looks awfully squished together, and when you add in the white shading to that the whole banner takes on a 'hard-to-read" quality.
If you are using the same image for the header that you did on the old version, then perhaps it needs to be re-jigged a bit as it did not seem to travel over here all that well.

Yeah, its the same logo squished together by a width value in a CSS file. It could use some tweaking if there are any graphic design people that would like to help. The logo on the subsilver template also really needs a complete overhaul, too.

On the whole though ... looking VERY good. Thanks for all the hard work.

Thanks. I'm rather impressed myself I must say! :toothy2:

quiet1
January 3rd, 2009, 14:22
Unique page titles running now.
Thank you! :bounce:

quiet1
January 3rd, 2009, 15:49
Yeah, its the same logo squished together by a width value in a CSS file. It could use some tweaking if there are any graphic design people that would like to help. The logo on the subsilver template also really needs a complete overhaul, too.
I'm using subsilver2.

What is the pixel width needed to match image size to CSS? I notice that the .gif file itself is 175w x 73h, but the tag is includes width="170" height="94" which of course skews the proportions. Is 170x94 the size you want? And do you want to keep a white background, or have it match the grey for the rest of that row?

Do you have an *original* graphic file of that logo? I can download the site_logo.gif file, but it's not very crisp at that resolution. Or, even better, do you have the font files used to create it?

Just a quick makeover on the existing file, with a grey background and saved at 170x71 is:

[img]http://www.wpcoe.com/test/draft_site_logo.gif

On the whole though ... looking VERY good. Thanks for all the hard work.Thanks. I'm rather impressed myself I must say! :toothy2:
Ditto what Smiles said. You deserve a big pat on the back, and should be quite pleased with the outcome of your efforts.

GWMinUS
January 3rd, 2009, 22:07
Hello Spike!!
After using the new format for a while I have some comments...

Found how to move the Profile to the Right. Much better.
Why are new or modified posts not highligted, as in Red before?
Seems to be no button to go the most recent posts until AFTER you have opened the thread?
If a thread has multiple pages, clicking on the Page Number at the bottom gives an error message.

I am using FireFox 3.0.5. Hate that IE browser...

Cheers!!

elephantspike
January 4th, 2009, 01:55
Why are new or modified posts not highligted, as in Red before?

The icon is red on threads with new posts on the topic index page.

Seems to be no button to go the most recent posts until AFTER you have opened the thread?

That should be pretty easy to add. I'll look around.

If a thread has multiple pages, clicking on the Page Number at the bottom gives an error message.
I am using FireFox 3.0.5. Hate that IE browser...

I generally prefer Firefox, too, and the board is optomized to look best in Firefox, however I am not able to duplicate this error in either Firefox or IE.

One glitch in Firefox is that it seems to keep logging me out as an administrator, and IE doesn't.

elephantspike
January 4th, 2009, 02:02
Quiet1, I can easilly adjust the CSS file width value, but I'd like to make the logo around 100px X250px and the background should be transparent. Also for subsilver, I don't plan on adding photos to the background of the page header as I want to keep that style simple for people with slow connections and machines. I am thinking of maybe putting in some real basic drawings instead, though, like the ones in the header of the phpbb support site (http://www.phpbb.com/community), only with some kind of Thailand related theme.

Thanks.

Oh, also, I need to make the photos in the header wider in the regular prosilver style, as they are tiling on the right on wider monitors.

bao-bao
January 4th, 2009, 02:30
For as much of a change as it was it seemed to go very smoothly. I, too, have moved the avatars back to the left hand side - and it's not really important for me to know if someone's online or not.

The only feature I miss is being able to click on "Next Topic" or "Previous Topic" to change threads without having to go back to the main page for the forum and scroll down. If there's still a way to do this, maybe someone would let me know here?

Thanks again for all the time to make the change, ES. :cheers:

elephantspike
January 4th, 2009, 02:53

That should be pretty easy to add. I'll look around.

Ok, there is the first unread post link, which I think is better than the last post one because it allows you to pick up a thread where you left off

[attachment=0:1xvhc0cz]unreadpost.png[/attachment:1xvhc0cz]

Of course it can only tell what you have read when you are logged in.

For as much of a change as it was it seemed to go very smoothly. I, too, have moved the avatars back to the left hand side - and it's not really important for me to know if someone's online or not.

The only feature I miss is being able to click on "Next Topic" or "Previous Topic" to change threads without having to go back to the main page for the forum and scroll down. If there's still a way to do this, maybe someone would let me know here?

Thanks again for all the time to make the change, ES. :cheers:

the topic links are also pretty easy to do. And thank you for all the pics for the header.

elephantspike
January 4th, 2009, 06:11
Thanks to AKA Hagrid for the logo redesign. If anyone else comes up with a logo, one option that is pretty easy for me to do is to have random banners just like we have random header background images.

Smiles
January 4th, 2009, 09:07
I kind of miss the "Our Friends" button. It was a very quick method to zoom over to Ting Tong or, if in the mood, Gaybutton ... oops, I meant Gay Thailand.

Any possibility of getting that back ... unless it is hidden behind layers, I've looked, but perhaps not hard enough (as Edith would say :blackeye: ).

One other point: why does the font seem to automaticaly get one size smaller when you Bold or Italicize a word or sentence? Seems a little odd.

Cheers ...

elephantspike
January 4th, 2009, 10:20
The properties of the individual bb codes are defined somewhere in the CSS I think, and that is just the property that is defined for the b tag that comes with this style. As soon as I figure out exactly where it is, I can change it.

I do intend on adding an "Our Friends" page once I figure out how to add a unique page. I was thinking of just making it a portal block, but that is not really as nice as a whole page. Also when I was working on the Our Friends block, I discovered that half of the links I had went to sites that were no longer there. TG Massage is gone, and even pattayagay wasn't there when I checked last week (are they really gone now or was that just temporary?)

Anyway, Custom Titles are back now by special request, so all you geeks, fruitcakes, enablers, and fat bald old cunts can feel free to express yourself with a vanity title that appears under your avatar in your board posts, PMs and profiles, as long as you

Have been Regestered for 30 days and have more than 100 posts or...[/*:m:2u8qkkw7]
Are a Golden Member[/*:m:2u8qkkw7]

Note: There is no way to convert Custom Titles from the old board, so you need to add yours back in yourself.
(Control Panel> User Control Panel> Profile> scroll down to the bottom and enter your custom profile in the field provided> Submit)

GWMinUS
January 4th, 2009, 16:09
Spike the error occurs if you click on the "Page # of #" and then enter a new page number in the dialog box. You get taken to an error page.

Navigating from page to page by clicking the Page # in the Box next to Page # of # works fine.

Keep tweaking...

elephantspike
January 4th, 2009, 16:23
Ah, OK. Now I am able to duplicate the error. I'm not sure yet how to fix it, but I know where to look for the answer.

Thanks.

elephantspike
January 4th, 2009, 18:08
because it goes to the latest thread not the latest post.

elephantspike
January 4th, 2009, 18:30
Regarding the "page x out of y" link, it is because that javascript code that makes that box come up needs to be adjusted to go with the url rewrite rules in effect. Its being worked on. In the mean time....

Don't click on it! :geek:

elephantspike
January 5th, 2009, 02:03
OK, the link you have there is essentially the same as the one I mentioned above on the top of the thread page. It takes you to the first unread post. It can't tell if you read any posts while you were logged-out, though.

January 6th, 2009, 07:31
spike all my history has been deleted ,what has caused this as i had over 300 posts here

January 11th, 2009, 00:29
The selection of banner background pics is good and appropriate in my view. I'm finding that the board comes up quite quickly but seems to hang* quite frequently after I've looked at a few pages.

*"seems to", because I tend to restart.

Is it it too image rich? Do members who don't get adverts avoid this problem?

I have a serious aversion to Paypal and would welcome an alternative method of donating.