PDA

View Full Version : Protests force Thai PM to relocate maiden speech

lonelywombat
December 30th, 2008, 11:58
Protests force Thai PM to relocate maiden speech
Article from: Agence France-Presse

From correspondents in Bangkok

December 30, 2008 14:50pm Thai time

PROTESTERS have forced Thailand's new premier to relocate his maiden policy speech after blocking his entrance to parliament.

The country's new premier Abhisit Vejjajiva will deliver his maiden policy speech at the foreign ministry after riot police failed to clear protesters from outside parliament, a minister said.

Despite repeated efforts by hundreds of police officers armed with shields to push open the gates and create a path for lawmakers to enter the building, the red-shirted crowd calling for new elections refused to budge.

They are loyal to Thaksin Shinawatra, the premier ousted in a 2006 coup, and say Abhisit's government is not legitimate as he came to power after the Thaksin-linked former ruling party was dissolved by a court early this month.

"The government intended to deliver a policy statement but this was prevented by protesters," said Satit Wonghnongtaey, a minister attached to the Prime Minister's Office.

"So the government has decided to move the venue to the foreign ministry, which parliament has confirmed is legal. We have already informed coalition partners and the meeting will start as soon as we have a quorum."

TrongpaiExpat
December 30th, 2008, 12:06
A Thai boy I know, not a money/bar boy, told me he was going to protest as a red shirt for this event. I asked why. He said, " 500 Baht and they give you a red shirt...yellow only pays 300......red is better"

I asked where do you think all this money is coming from. He said he did not care.

jolyjacktar
December 30th, 2008, 13:36
Some just wont be happy until all the tourists stop holidaying in Thailand. AS the way things are going Thailand is becoming a big turn off for most families and a lot of singles now too.

Smiles
December 31st, 2008, 11:32
" ... A Thai boy I know, not a money/bar boy, told me he was going to protest as a red shirt for this event. I asked why. He said, " 500 Baht and they give you a red shirt...yellow only pays 300......red is better"
I asked where do you think all this money is coming from. He said he did not care... "
My guy told me almost exactly the same story, but in that case it was during the airport take-over and he was talking about the PPP (yellow). Also, he mentioned the figure of 500 baht (not 300) and had been told in his home village in Surin (during a visit in early December) that PPP representatives had been in Nang Mud offering 500 baht (a day!) to anyone willing to join the sitdown.

We had ~ just before him telling me this ~ been sitting in front of the TV watching the airport sit-in and I commented that in that sea of yellow shirts there seemed to be a very large proportion of elderly women . . . many more than one would have reasonably expected at a rally of this kind. That's when he told me about the 500 baht-a-day that was being offered to make sure the crowds looked huge at the airport.

As the 'TiT Rule' holds true with just about everything in Thailand, it didn't surprise me in the least.

Cheers ...

x in pattaya
December 31st, 2008, 18:34
As the 'TiT Rule' holds true with just about everything in Thailand, it didn't surprise me in the least.

Cheers ...

One wonders if there's a TiC Rule.

Political Corruption in Canada
Cases, Causes and Cures
Kenneth Gibbons and D.C. Rowat
CA $29.95 | US $29.95

"Canadians assume that their politicians and institutions are relatively free of the corruption they associate with other nations. The editors of this volume argue that this questionable supposition is based on scant evidence and very little serious analysis."

joe552
January 1st, 2009, 03:26
And not just Canada. Here in Ireland, we've had a 10 year inquiry into planning corruption which has costs millions, but only 2 people have been convicted of corruption.

x in pattaya
January 1st, 2009, 20:29
Here in Ireland, we've had a 10 year inquiry into planning corruption ...

Well, I suppose that's the difference. In Ireland you take 10 years to plan corruption.

I'm Chicago Irish and I can tell you we've taken it a step further and spend very little time planning it at all, but you do have to follow etiquette to avoid bruised egos and involuntary amputations.

In Thailand it seems to depend more on family initiative, individual implementation and institutional traditions.

January 1st, 2009, 22:04
And not just Canada. Here in Ireland, we've had a 10 year inquiry into planning corruption which has costs millions, but only 2 people have been convicted of corruption.

sure an' begorah it warms 'te cockles of one's heart to know t'er is so little corruption in Ireland.
now when is your next chance to vote "no" to the European Constitution and can you accept a donation in Pounds as we can't really afford to buy many Euros for the time being.

Smiles
January 2nd, 2009, 13:52
" ... I have never been pulled over WITHOUT having done something wrong (I must admit) ... "
Boygeenyus!!! I always liked your original (I think) handle best.

Anyway, more on this: my guy has a tour guide/taxi service and easily the route he travels most frequently is the main highway (i.e. Petchkasem Rd. + motorway) between Hua Hin and Suvarnaphumi Airport ... or the reverse, picking folks up at the airport.

I would also guess (from the whining I have to listen to when he gets home) that he gets stopped 80% of the time by the cops for nothing but a 100 baht shakedown. Often they don't even bother to make up some sort of phony excuse, just a little Cheshire Cat smiling conversation, arm on the car lower window sill, the money placed ever-so-slyly under it. It happens in 30 seconds and on his way. On two of these occasions I've been in the car and witnessed the quickness and dexterity (on both their parts) of the money exchange ... the Boy in Brown off to his next pull over.
Want to dispute it? No problem ... just report to the Samut Prakhan Police Office (40 miles back toward Bangkok, which is to say, 80 miles extra and much more than 100 baht in gasoline).

Almost all of these pullovers has happened 5 kilometers on either side of Petchburi . . . a notorious stretch of highway which is almost impossible to bypass without going a very long way around. For most taxis businesses the 100 or 200 baht is built-in to the fare, as a 'normal' cost of doing business.

You are a farang and as such probably not as much chance of getting pulled over. Much easier to prey on fellow Thais ... they're most option-less (and cooperative) victims.

I agree with one point though ... Thailand is a completely perfect example of endemic corruption at every level of institution.

Cheers ...

x in pattaya
January 2nd, 2009, 16:02
Thailand is a completely perfect example of endemic corruption at every level of institution.

Another way of putting that is that Thailand is a perfect example of a country that operates without the constipated right-wing religious self-righteous control freaks that prevent anyone from enjoying himself.

Certainly one of the reasons that many of us prefer Thailand, compared to the more developed (i.e. anal retentive) countries, is that life is more an ad hoc adventure where harmless (and some not so harmless) perversions are tolerated and personal pleasures are permitted without let or hindrance. Vive le difference.

Possibly we'd all be happier if we were charged a tax on our income and the cost of living was on a par with the (allegedly) more developed countries. Then the police and others could get higher salaries and might be less inclined to solicit extra curricular perks.

I've lived in places where corruption was truly a way of life. Thailand doesn't even come close.

January 2nd, 2009, 22:56
Quite agree, Smiles - I have always noticed that 90% of the vehicles pulled over by the BIB at the "checkpoints" around Pattaya are pick-ups. The remaining 10% are older saloons or minibuses. A shiny new Benz - I don't think so!!