PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam money

gorcum-old
December 29th, 2008, 21:37
I am planning to visit Vietnam , I understand that the curency is Dong and ATM are widely used. But Also the USA Dollar is used. Also credit cards are acepted.
I am wondering if I should take US Dollar along or just get dong from ATM and use my credit cards in hotels?

Bob
December 29th, 2008, 23:22
Spent 5 days in Hanoi and vicinity 2 months ago. Based on what I read before, I took a lot of US dollars (ones and fives) with me and those were happily accepted for purchases and tips all over the place. I also exchanged some dollars for Vietnamese dong (it's was about 16,250 dong to the US dollar then) and had no problem paying with that either. I used my credit card at the hotel only and never did have the need to use an ATM machine.

By the way, make sure you get really clean (no marks, no defects, etc.) US bills to take as any others will be rejected (and it's not that easy to get clean ones and fives - it took me three trips to three different banks to get $200.00 worth of passable bills).

searcher
December 30th, 2008, 00:33
Lived more than a year in different cities of V. You don t need USD, there are ATM s on every corner. But be careful, check e v e r y bill and the change. If y have any questions , feel free to PM

December 30th, 2008, 06:23
Using the local currency is much better. It will save you dickering with exchange rates. ATM's are everywhere.

Surfcrest
December 31st, 2008, 10:02
Yes, it's true. Vietnam has an incredible amount of ATM's but finding one that works is another matter.
I found Saigon to be more convenient in this respect as they have HSBC which is compatable with most Western debit cards.
In Hanoi however, I found only one ATM in the whole city that was compatable with PLUS.
This was the series of ATM's in the back entrance of the National Bank.
I've seen quite a few frustrated tourists trying to get cash out of the many ATM's in the Old Quarter.
Perhaps your credit cards will work better. Having been ripped off in Bangkok with Thai ATM's, I'm a little
leary about using credit cards in an ATM especially Vietnam.
You cannot change Vietnamese Dong back into your own currency so only take what you need.
Having a million in your wallet looses its charm once you've left.

Cheers,

Bob
December 31st, 2008, 10:18
The Vietnamese currency, like their economy, has dropped like a rock during 2008, a stark contrast to
the economic miracle that seemed to be happening there over the last many years.

Back in October, there was a newspaper about the recent devaluation of the dong with the
headline that read "Drooping Dong" that garnered a few giggles from the English-speaking
tourists [and, quite possibly, could describe some of our elder members here..... :clown: ].

December 31st, 2008, 21:51
I would echo Surfcrest's comments - I went in 2007, twice, and could not find any ATMs which would accept UK or Thai ATM cards, apart from HSBC wth whom I had an account. I don't know about the "drooping dong", as I got a similar rate then to Bob,changing either dollars or baht.

I changed my remaining Vietnamese dong into either dollars or baht (I cannot remember which) at the airport in HCMC without any problems.

gorcum-old
January 3rd, 2009, 22:45
thank you every one for the usefull information, I will post how i made out with vietnam in April upon my return