PDA

View Full Version : Travel restrictions for tuberculosis patients?

December 29th, 2008, 05:08
Hi all,

I was thinking about a short trip to Thailand in February. My problem: I was diagnosed with Tuberculosis in November and am taking the TB meds right now. Do you suppose I will get denied Thai entry because I have TB? I will still be taking TB meds in February and was thinking they may deny me entry when I come with all my medications in my luggage. I am not at all contagious, since the TB was not in my lungs, but rather lodged in my lymph node.

Thanks for any information you guys can provide.

Bob
December 29th, 2008, 05:51
The odds of anyone checking your luggage (checked luggage) are probably pretty slim so it's hard for me to figure how anybody is going to care. I'd recommend you bring your prescription form from your doctor, though, just in case they actually find them wonder what the drugs might be. If you're only taking a short trip, can't be that many pills, can it?

I don't remember what it says on the entry form/card that I've filled out and signed 20+ times. Not sure if it asks about TB.

December 29th, 2008, 06:21
Hi all,

I was thinking about a short trip to Thailand in February. My problem: I was diagnosed with Tuberculosis in November and am taking the TB meds right now. Do you suppose I will get denied Thai entry because I have TB? I will still be taking TB meds in February and was thinking they may deny me entry when I come with all my medications in my luggage. I am not at all contagious, since the TB was not in my lungs, but rather lodged in my lymph node.

Thanks for any information you guys can provide.

TB was not in my lungs

Just hope you sure !

HIV is the single most important factor contributing to the increase in incidence of TB .

TB spreads through the air ! A person needs only to inhale a small number of these to be infected.

Your problem how about people and kids in the airplane ?

Think a bit before you go to Thailand or ...

Enjoy your flight ! :bigsmurf:

Aunty
December 29th, 2008, 09:57
If you have tuberculosis and are under active treatment and you are a responsible human being, then you will not be travelling anywhere until you have medical clearance from your doctor who says it is safe, for others, for you to travel.
Furthermore there are a large number of International Treaties which cover the travel of people with infectious TB (and TB) and you should make yourself fully aware of both your legal obligations and your legal liabilities should anything go wrong if you choose to travel.

Do I make myself clear to you? Read page 16.

http://www.who.int/tb/publications/2006 ... 06_363.pdf (http://www.who.int/tb/publications/2006/who_htm_tb_2006_363.pdf)

December 29th, 2008, 10:17
ImacnLA wrote:
I am not at all contagious, since the TB was not in my lungs, but rather lodged in my lymph node. Even TB of the lungs can be contagious for as short a period as 2 weeks. See: www.doctorndtv.com/FAQ/detailfaq.asp?id=3048 (http://www.doctorndtv.com/FAQ/detailfaq.asp?id=3048) and www.ochealthinfo.com/Public/tb/home_isol.htm (http://www.ochealthinfo.com/Public/tb/home_isol.htm)

I have known several people that had TB and not long after starting their regimen of antibiotics, there was no restriction on their interacting with others.

The Thai Washington DC Embassy shows a Health Certificate is required for admission into Thailand only for those coming from a country with yellow fever - a list of those countries is shown on their web site. As for customs, Thailand did away with the customs declaration form some time ago - now you complete only the TM 6 Arrival/Departure card. In my 20 and more years of traveling to Thailand, I have never once been stopped, questioned, or had my bags searched upon entry (once, almost 20 years ago, I was stopped when leaving Thailand by a customs guy, who only wanted to know how much Thai Baht I was taking out of the country.)

Although the probability of being checked is about nil, be sure your medicine is in its original containers showing it was dispensed by a pharmacy to you from a Doctor's prescription. If asked about them, if it was me, I would simply say it is for a lymph node infection rather than saying TB.

December 29th, 2008, 10:38
Thanks for all the information and response. My doctor believes that I was exposed to the TB while I was in China this summer. In any event, I underwent xrays and they showed i was clear of infections in my lungs. My doctor advises I am not in any way contagious, allowing me to work in a large firm with no restrictions, as I am in no way contagious. I only asked because I remember going to China, and they specifically ask if you are HIV+. I wasn't sure if that was the case with TB and Thailand.

Anyway, thanks for all the information you guys.

x in pattaya
December 29th, 2008, 14:59
I fully support Aunty's concerns about you travelling. Nothing personal, but I'd be uneasy about sitting next to you on an airplane for many hours breathing recycled air. Aside from that if you have "intimate experiences" with someone whose health/immunity is in anyway compromised you might endanger him.

As an additional concern, arriving in Thailand with a pile of pills might go unnoticed, but if discovered could lead to many problems. A doctor's prescription won't help much if the customs people get their knickers in a knot and if you get the opportunity to explain to someone who is medically qualified, mentionning TB will set off alarm bells. In Thailand it's rarely the letter of the law with which you must comply but the mood of the one applying it that will be the deciding factor. And, the idea of appealing to higher authority is rarely helpful. You might at least have some of your stash confiscated and/or a fine imposed or be put back on the next plane home... or worse.

December 29th, 2008, 17:53
Do I make myself clear to you?I suggest taking Aunty along as a personal travel companion; don't breathe directly, let Aunty exchange air with you.