PDA

View Full Version : Ratchda Soi 8

December 27th, 2008, 20:12
Guys i was wondering if any one been to ratchda soi 8 bars?, are they tourist friendly?, is the boys offing works the same way as soi twilight? wat are the rates? can anyone enlighten me on this?

many thanks in advance

TrongpaiExpat
December 27th, 2008, 21:26
No, not like Soi Twilight at all. Reasonable rates, most buy bottles w/mixers. I guess you could find someone willing to go with you and some are always boyfriend shopping but it's not set up as a commercial sex scene. Try G-Star at the end of the soi and to your left.

In these bars you don't typically go alone but rather arrive in a group or entourage if your so inclined. So, if you really want to visit some of these off Silom off farang venues and you came alone to Thailand on Hoilday, you need to find or 'off' your own entourage.

December 27th, 2008, 21:33
basically, if you are looking for a soi twilight style scene, forget ratchada. its not even silom soi 2 style venue. as TPE says, bunches of thai guys go there together to drink and see the show. a lone farang going there to pick up a guy wont have much success.

gumblebee
December 27th, 2008, 23:33
It's more like regular gay disco's you find in gay-friendly place elsewhere in the world - Thai style of course - groups stand around tables from a shared whisky-bottle and mixers. There's a few podiums and seats where you can sit. Went there a few times with my Thai (ex-)boyfriend and some of his friends. Good fun, farang welcome (if sometimes singled out a bit by the ladyboys during the show - there's very few of them). Imho not an easy place to meet new people, unless friends introduce you to their friends. I've never noticed anybody standing by themselves.

December 28th, 2008, 00:49
Don't bother if you're a FOQ.

Alaan
December 28th, 2008, 02:02
To sunshine 76.....I agree with most of the previous comments.... if you were to go alone yes, you would look out of place.. but then, so would a Thai on their own...

If you went with a farang friend or friends i dont think it would look particularly out of place if you were enjoying the company you were with and not simply leering about or making yourselves obviously available or looking to pick-up... that would certainly make you look more out of place from my impressions when vsiting soi8... So no, i don't recommend it as a silom/suriwong type of pickup area for a lone farang looking for a commercial hookup, and certainly an older farang shuffling about with a bottle of Heineken a-la-DjStation would most probably be completely ignored.

Generally there wasn't too much flirting going on even between Thais when i visited there..most were in groups together not even bothering with others round about them.. i went to the Soi 8 Pub which is i think the first venue on the left as you enter the soi, and everyone in the crowd took in the show..and when the Koyote dancers came on there was flirting and offering of drinks with them, and any females there certainly took interest in the dancers...

I went with a Thai friend as a 'couple' and i didn't feel out of place, about 11pm as the place started filling up, a couple of his friends joined us from time to time and we had some choek-dee glass chinking with other Thais i would describe as occasional pals of my friend. There were also quite a number of obvious Thai couples..boyfriends together ....

So, yes i would recommend going with a Thai friend if you were just looking for a nice fun change from the meat-rack type DJ etc venues.., and i certainly wouldn't be put off going with a farang friend or friends, as it is a nice change from the obvious pick-up type gay venues in Silom/Suriwong... But i wouldn't go there if all you are looking for is to pick-up a partner for the night... you might well land up insulting somebody,even if unintentionally, and from what i could gather from the guys i know, i don't think it would go down well..many of the gay guys going there kind-of turn up ther noses at commercial hook ups...

But......these are only my observations when visiting on holiday in October this year, maybe some of the expats who go there regularly with their Thai boyfriends might give a different slant on the place with more accurate or other[better] advise.

TrongpaiExpat
December 28th, 2008, 17:56
ICK, Ramkhamhaeg, has an interesting cruisey men's room. There's a row of urinals with enclosures and openings between stalls. Then there's a dark room open urinal.

www.ickbkk.com/ (http://www.ickbkk.com/)

December 28th, 2008, 20:58
thnks guys for all the reply, i really appreciate it. i been to soi twilight b4 and now iam not that interested to step into any of the bars there(maybe i had enuf seeing the fcking shows), so just for a change i was contemplating going to ratchda.on seeing all ur replies, i decided not to go there . i'll be visitng bangkok alone n iam not a farang, iam a asian from singapore. guys do any of u have ne idea wat to do for 4 nights in bkk ( FYI ive been to bkk many times n did all the tourist stuffs n gay tourists stuffs)

December 29th, 2008, 00:46

The Voice of Experience

:cheers:

December 29th, 2008, 06:01
I completely understand why you don't want to return to Soi Twilight. So here's my two cents' worth: Try DJ Station. If you're looking for a working guy, there are plenty there. Just hang out on the second floor. If you'd just like to meet another gay man for casual sex and not as a retail transaction, hang out on the first floor.

DJ Station has several advantages over Soi Twilight.

1. Most of the guys are much, much cuter than the chubbies at today's go-go bars.
2. It's no one's job there to pressure you to buy overpriced drinks.
3. You're not confined to some ratty old sofa.
4. You're guaranteed that anyone you meet is over 18 (actually, they have to be at least 20 to get in).
5. Anyone you meet there really is gay and enjoys gay sex.
6. The place is just plain fun.

One more piece of advice. Don't treat the place like a go-go bar. It's very likely you'll fall in with a group of locals and/or other tourists. Let the night take you where it will. You'll probably end up at some after-hours clubs you never knew existed and you'll definitely have the time of your life.

December 29th, 2008, 06:12
By the way, what does FOQ mean?

December 29th, 2008, 06:23

I assumed it meant 'Fucking Old Queen' or something down that line.

December 29th, 2008, 07:46

Speaking from experience being an old "big" queen it means ~~ Fat Old Queen

December 29th, 2008, 08:02

Iam not a FOQ, iam a young asian in late 20's

December 29th, 2008, 08:09

Iam not a FOQ, iam a young asian in late 20's

Then have fun. But go with a group or you'll feel out of place.

December 29th, 2008, 08:14
Can we call you a YAG? And if you do go to DJ, don't worry about going alone. Just bring your smile; you'll meet people.

catawampuscat
December 29th, 2008, 10:04
Sunshine, Chao Na has a way with words and can be very direct. Most of us on this
forum are well beyond our late 20's and along with advanced age goes advanced girths
in many cases.. Chao Na was sending a little missive to the majority of members here and
not anyone in particular..
The most amazing thing about the scene in Thailand is that FOQ do get laid for free in places
like Babylon and even DJ Station but the pickings are slim if one is a FOQ but still possible..

TOQ, a favorite poster here and on Gay TingTong has a handle with a variation of the letters
and is relatively slim and some even say hot.. Guess what FOB stands for? and I am sure
other posters can add more.. :cat:

December 29th, 2008, 11:53
ok this is bit of off topic, iam posting it here bcoz i want to have all the info in single thread for my ready reference, hope no one objects.

does the thai movie shown in bangkok has english subtitles?, I wanna see Ong bak2 and 4 romances. any one watched these movies in cinema, does they have english subtitles?