PDA

View Full Version : 9 Night Club, Bangkok

TrongpaiExpat
December 27th, 2008, 13:06
I finally made a visit to The 9 Night Club (http://www.9nightclub.com/) on Silom Soi 4 (http://www.silomsoi4.net/venues.html) Bangkok. I had been getting mixed reviews from an assortment of mixed up friends and acquaintances and wanted to see for myself.

We entered soi 4 at 2245 Fri night and had to make out way down a very busy street. Nearly all the seats at Balcony and Telephone were full. Not many people were in The 9 Club, the sign said show at 0010, so we found a table at Balcony and did some surveillance.

We were told that everyone enters just before the show and then after the show there's a mass exit.

We went in at 2350, 100B per drink, no cover, you buy a ticket for a drink at the door. You can buy single drinks or buy a bottle w/ mixers. The place is quite nice inside. A nice wrap-around bar, an open dance floor and a second floor/balcony area. Clean air, no smoking and if you do smoke there's two outside spaces made just for you.

The place was very sparse of customers when we went in but just before midnight people started coming in. The show started at 0020 and lasted until 0100. It's reminiscent of what the old Freeman used to do and I noticed one of male dancers and the lead lady-boy was an old Freeman regular.

I know many farangs don't like Thai style cabaret aka lady-boy lip sync routines but as far as these "performances" go this one is on the higher end production wise. There were 12 performers, 6 lady-boys and 6 very attractive guys. The dance numbers were high energy similar to what Extreem used to do. The usual cabaret songs in English were performed. No Thai songs, must be going for a farang customer base?

What I was told came true. The place emptied out fast after the show, leaving not more than 15 or 16 customers.

I found out where everyone was rushing to. They all went over to DJ station, I followed. DJ was packed with the usual hoards of 20 something Thai boys, Asian tourists and the odd middle aged drooling farang reliving his youth without grace.

I don't know it The 9 Club will make it or not, too soon to tell. They sure don't attract the numbers that DJ does but compared to DJ it's a nicer facility. Not sure I get it?

Sen Yai
December 27th, 2008, 22:54
I don't know if The 9 Club will make it or not, too soon to tell. They sure don't attract the numbers that DJ does but compared to DJ it's a nicer facility. Not sure I get it?

It stands a good chance of making it. It's part owned by the owners of GOD/Freeman and part by the owner of Jupiter. You will notice that some of the dancers rush over from Jupiter after the last show there, as do many of the Captains and waiters.

It really is a very nice venue but the acoustics need sorting out. It's a long rectangular double height space with hard surfaces everywhere. So no matter how good the sound system is, the reverberation is terrible and hence the lip-sync katoey shows are harder on the ear than necessary.

But the decor is good, the dance floor is larger than DJ and there are good views of the stage and floor from all around. I hope it succeeds and relieves a little pressure from DJ.

December 28th, 2008, 03:22
I went to the 9 club last night.
I don't think this place is as good as DJ. But it's new and has a good atmosphere. As mentioned in the original post above, the place became quite empty immediately after the show.
I think they need to do some adverstising.

Owner of GOD co-owns this 9 club? why would he open another club to compete with his own failing GOD?

Dancer and waiters rush from Jupitor to this 9 club? I could not tell. The dancers at 9 club all look like farm boys from the countryside. But the waiters, yes they are definitely better looking than soi 2 waiters.

TrongpaiExpat
December 28th, 2008, 11:53
Not sure about "GOD failing" It's a late night place, fills after DJ closes at 0230. All I was told (by Balcony owners) about the ownership of 9 Night Club was it's Thai ownership. Isn't G.O.D. owned by the German BBB group or has that changed? Hard to keep up with these ownerships.

GOD, by the way is not smoke free. DJ is, mostly.

Scott: What do you mean DJ is better? We has asked a group of Thai friends to meet us at 9 and they all refused and said no DJ is better, meet us there after you go to 9. They have never been to 9 but already know they don't like it. I asked further when we met and still did not get clear answers, price is the same, 9 is a nicer facility and same general location. So, what's up? Response: Everyone goes to DJ and you ask too many questions and tink too much. What they did not say and I think is the reason is that Soi 4 is just too much of a farang oriented soi.

Sen Yai
December 29th, 2008, 07:47
There was a rumour (and that's all) that 9 is owned by the wife of a senior cop.

Yes, that's the Jupiter owner. (see my post above)