PDA

View Full Version : (Important!!!) New Board For The New Year... NEW PASSWORDS!!

elephantspike
December 25th, 2008, 00:27
I've been working on the new phpBB3 version of the board for a few months now, and its almost ready. I plan on switching it over on New Years Eve, which is when tech support for the current software expires. If all goes well, all the current urls should forward to the converted pages. Expect some down time of one to several hours in the wee hours of January 1st (Thai time) while I finalize the conversion.

All users, posts, blog entries, attachments and album pics should be converted, but the first time registered users try to log in on the new board, you'll get a page with a link that auto-emails you a new password. You'll need to click on the link in that email, which brings you back on to the board, and copy and paste your newly generated password onto the login form. Then you can go to your user control panel>profile>account settings and change your password back to whatever you like. Note:this password will be auto generated from my yahoo account, so you may need to look in your spam box to find it!

The new board has a nifty new look, with two alternate styles you can choose from in your user control panel>board preferences>board style setting. Its loaded with built in features that used to be available only as add-ons. The only currently popular feature we have now that is not yet fully developed for the new software is the interactive event calendar, but that will be coming soon.

One cool new feature is that every user can customize their own board layout when logged-in by clicking and dragging the portal blocks/side bar blocks to whatever position they want. I'll post more about the new features later.

See ya on the other side.

December 25th, 2008, 00:46
you'll get a page with a link that auto-emails you a new password. You'll need to click on the link in that email

Thus I would surmise that indeed it would be VERY good advice to all users to tell them to make sure that their EMAIL addresses on record on each account are current and updated on ALL their user id's before the 31st?

elephantspike
December 25th, 2008, 01:50
Wow, yeah, good call, Daizy. I think some still have their emails set to "null" from the ezboard conversion.

Please, everyone make sure your email address in your profile is current, otherwise you will not be able to login with your current username on the new board!

December 25th, 2008, 14:14
good luck lol

i have had the new version set up for 2 months also.....but the fokker refuses to convert the database over. will get it done eventually.

elephantspike
December 26th, 2008, 03:36
good luck lol

Thanks. I may need it.

What I've done is to run the converter that came with the installer for the new phpBB3 software (actually it was the version that was pre-modded for Stargate Portal). That converted the posts and everything fine. I just needed to run the search index converter. Then I edited in the mods for blogs and albums and ran the installers for those, then each one of those had converters to convert albums and blogs from the old board. Then I edited in the mods for Ajax chat and Paypal donate. Then I did my style edits and set the permissions for the forums, attachments, blogs and albums.

I just need to add in the Ad Management and seo url mods, then run the forum converter again that came with the initial install. Assuming that doesn't make me have to reinstall and or reconvert the albums and or blogs, or reset permissions, Once the converter is run again to update the posts to be current, all I have to do is reconvert the search index and rename the new board's folder to "/forum", and we should be back online within an hour or so. If I need to reinstall and reconvert blogs and albums, it could take up to several hours. I'm going to have to disable the board while this conversion takes place. it will just redirect all board urls to a place saving page with the forum header and footer and I think I still have a link to the old ezboard on there.

Shuee
December 28th, 2008, 21:37
goodluck with new board spike & thanks for a good year

oogleman i am having problems with my p/w & cannot log in after reseting my p/w 3 times now! heeelppppp

elephantspike
December 29th, 2008, 05:33
OK. I'm all set to go. I just now reconverted the database, and although the converter took longer than last time (about 3 hours) to convert all the post data, it ends up that I don't have to update any of the modifications. It updated all the posts without undoing anything I added.

On Wednesday all I have to do is disable this board, run the converter again, and rename the folder of the new installation to "./forum" and we'll be switched over.

Brad the Impala
December 29th, 2008, 07:10
Those famous words "all I have to do"!

Good luck!

December 29th, 2008, 16:04
goodluck with new board spike & thanks for a good year

oogleman i am having problems with my p/w & cannot log in after reseting my p/w 3 times now! heeelppppp

sent you a pm sir.

elephantspike
December 31st, 2008, 14:08
OK

In a few hours we are going to do this. Everything is set. I just need to sleep a few hours and then do the final conversion.

Final warning to all registered members:

If you do not have a valid email entered in your profile, you may not be able to log in using your current user name once the board is converted!

elephantspike
December 31st, 2008, 22:32
OK-

It's time.

Hold on to your hats....

elephantspike
January 1st, 2009, 01:05
Whew!

Made it!

Any Casualties?

ceejay
January 1st, 2009, 01:08
Congratulations Spike. I have just logged in to the new board and it seems to be all still here and all working.

A Happy and Prosperous New Year to you and to all Sawatdee board members :wav:

elephantspike
January 1st, 2009, 01:10
Thanks CJ,

BTW- Did you have to request a new password or did it just let you log right in?

llz
January 1st, 2009, 01:36
Beautiful ...
I could login without entering any new password (anyway I did not get any on my regular mailbox) but it seems I am automatically logged out if I click on the "Forum" button on the black bar, and I have then to log in again. The system also forgets to log me in automatically despite having choosed this option.
Works fine if I click on the blue letters above the black bar.

A very happy New Year 2552 to the moderators and all the members of the Board and thank you for the good work since many years already.

quiet1
January 1st, 2009, 01:45
I'll also confirm that I can log on with my previous username and password. I had to change the URL stored as the bookmark in my browser, but once I did that, it's accessible like old times. Now, just to get used to the new look and interface.

Also, an added bonus, as an Opera user the previous Sawatdee incarnation would not let me <ctrl+shift+click> on a link to open in a new tab in the background, this version does. So, it's quite easy to go down the forum index, hold <ctrl+shift> and click click click click on each thread title with unread messages and have them open in the background. :bounce:

[edited to add:] My thread post tally seems to have taken a hit. I'm *pretty* sure I had more than 44 posts before the conversion, but that's what showing as of now.

Davey612
January 1st, 2009, 02:14
Happy New Year to everyone too.

Did not receive new password but was able to log in as normal.

However, when I tried to post this response, system asked me to log in again. ???

elephantspike
January 1st, 2009, 02:24
yeah, the cookie is quirky, but the good news is that most people apparently won't have to get a new password. just some passwords for some people won't convert in which case they are shown a link to click on when they try to log in and when they click that link, the software auto mails them a new password.

jimnbkk
January 1st, 2009, 02:26
No problem logging in to new board. And, it didn't make me re-log in to post this response. Pages seem to load a lot more slowly than before.

An edit to the above: The log-me-in-automatically-each-visit feature doesn't work. The "last visit" information says 30 December, when the date on this entry is 31 December.

joe552
January 1st, 2009, 03:15
Had no problem logging in with old username and password. Thanks.

joe552
January 1st, 2009, 03:17
How rude of me - forgot to wish all (yes, all!) board members a very Happy New Year! :joker:

elephantspike
January 1st, 2009, 03:18
OK, I think I just fixed the problem with getting logged out. I had a typo in my domain name in my cookie settings. I just fixed that.

You need to delete cookies set by this board in order for the new cookie settings to work. Then you should be able to stay logged in.

ceejay
January 1st, 2009, 03:54
Thanks CJ,

BTW- Did you have to request a new password or did it just let you log right in?
It just let me log in with the old password. No problems

Bob
January 1st, 2009, 04:39
Just so you know, Spike, I logged in using the old password. Fine by me.

Jetsam
January 1st, 2009, 05:41
Logged in without any problems, cool new look

Happy 2009 to all

bao-bao
January 1st, 2009, 05:43
I was also able to just log in as if nothing had changed, but that's fine with me!

It's quite a different look but most times change is good and I'll get used to it.

Thanks for the efforts, Spike. :cheers:

Best wishes to all for a healthy and safe 2552.

Brad the Impala
January 1st, 2009, 06:04
Blimey! Congratulations! Seems to be smoother and faster.

January 1st, 2009, 07:51
I always copy and paste pictures " BB code "from my blog.

Where that opion in the new "my blob" ?

January 1st, 2009, 10:02
Never got the email despite having a valid email and could not log-in with the old user ID (Once In Awhile) so was forced to register a new user ID.

January 1st, 2009, 18:20
Beautiful ...
I could login without entering any new password (anyway I did not get any on my regular mailbox) but it seems I am automatically logged out if I click on the "Forum" button on the black bar, and I have then to log in again. The system also forgets to log me in automatically despite having choosed this option.
Works fine if I click on the blue letters above the black bar.

Same, same when I first tried. However, I deleted all the cookies relating to the old board, deleted the old bookmark in favourites and logged in again including adding a bookmark for the new board and everything seems to be fine (touch wood!).

January 1st, 2009, 23:54
Just a test... to see if I can post without any problems. I could log in with the old password.
Congratulations on the changeover and happy new year to all.