PDA

View Full Version : Phuket Questions

December 21st, 2008, 20:12
What's the optimum method for getting from Phuket airport to PATONG BEACH & the approximate cost? Bus, taxi, baht bus, tuk tuk?

December 21st, 2008, 22:43
Best is to order a taxi from your hotel. I pay about 800 bath last year.

Taxi in airport a lot more expensieve.

Tuk tuk don't go that far.

Bus i don't know.

Drive whit taxi about 45 minutes airport to Patong

Sen Yai
December 21st, 2008, 22:57
Best is to order a taxi from your hotel. I pay about 800 bath last year.

Taxi in airport a lot more expensieve.

Taxi in airport is 600 baht :clown:

jinks
December 22nd, 2008, 00:31
Yes Club 17 transfer 600 baht, and they take a presentage too!"

markie1
December 22nd, 2008, 01:42
I paid 600 Baht 2 montha go ,you should not really need to pay more than that ,you may have to barter with them ,but 600 is reasonable
mark

December 22nd, 2008, 02:11
I paid 600 Baht 2 montha go ,you should not really need to pay more than that ,you may have to barter with them ,but 600 is reasonable
mark

I pay about 800 bath last year

Oi yes i forgot , i tip 200 more it was 600 . :flower:

Beachlover
December 22nd, 2008, 03:36
From airport to Patong Beach:

Don't take a tuk tuk or any non-meter taxi. This costs 550-800baht

Take a meter taxi and it'll cost around 450baht. When you walk out of the airport, ignore all the taxi drivers and touts and make your way to the right where you'll find a desk with a big sign saying, "METER TAXI". They'll call a proper meter taxi for you, and it will be around 400-475 baht.... all the other taxis and tuk tuks rip you off.

From Patong Beach to the airport it can be hard to find a taxi so don't leave it to the last minute... expect to pay anywhere from 450-700baht depending on the time of the day. Don't pay more than 700baht.

Tuk tuks in phuket are extremely arrogant... they're happy to wait hours for a customer and I believe they have collaborated to set a minimum fair of 100baht... even for a 2-3 minute ride. Forget about them... unless you are actually going outside of Patong Beach. It's easier to walk... it's a small beach town.

rincondog
December 22nd, 2008, 10:13
If you get a taxi just after your luggage claim and before you go out the exit door of airport it is 550 baht to Patong. Someone will take you and your luggage from there directly outside to the waiting taxi.

Smiles
December 22nd, 2008, 10:20
If you get a taxi just after your luggage claim and before you go out the exit door of airport it is 550 baht to Patong. Someone will take you and your luggage from there directly outside to the waiting taxi.
Lots of different prices being bandied about here ... including a ludicrous 200 baht tip from The Bruges Boy.
But the 550 baht taxi ride mentioned by Rincondog sounds about right. It's a flat rate, not a meter taxi.
It was 500 baht 2 or 3 years ago, so a 10% increase now would be reasonable.

Cheers ...

TrongpaiExpat
December 22nd, 2008, 13:51
There's a share mini bus for something like 200B.

To get around the inflated Phuket transport costs I always rent a car or jeep at Nine Rental (http://phuketdir.com/ninecarrent/index.htm) from 600B per day.

Motorbike rentals are also reasonable but dangerous on Phuket's roads.

December 22nd, 2008, 16:24
Tuk tuks in phuket are extremely arrogant... they're happy to wait hours for a customer and I believe they have collaborated to set a minimum fair of 100baht...

Back in the 90's when hotels never seemed to cost more than $20 there there were songthaws all over Phuket that would get you anywhere within Patong for just 20 baht, maybe under a 100 baht Patong to Kara, etc. Now the taxi drivers have taken over and you won't get anywhere within Patong for less than 100 baht. Walk. Better yet, do what I have done and don't bother with Phuket/Patong at all. With the influx of mass European tourism by the end of the nineties Phuket is just way too expensive, especially hotels.

Beachlover
December 22nd, 2008, 19:06

You can also walk another 35 metres to the meter taxi stand and pay 450 baht for the taxi to Patong.

December 22nd, 2008, 21:19
Thanks for the advice. The meter taxi did the job for just under 450.

December 22nd, 2008, 22:52
... including a ludicrous 200 baht tip from The Bruges Boy.

Every wallet is different ! :clown: