PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Bar Scene

sydneyboy
December 21st, 2008, 15:35
I have read on some sites that things are very quiet (dull?) in the Bangkok bars at the moment (particularly soi Twilight)with few boys or customers. Question, what about my favourites Jupiter and Tawan? Has anyone visited these or any of the Bangkok bars lately? Comments appreciated.

Sen Yai
December 21st, 2008, 17:26
sydneyboy, I can't tell you about Tawan, but I did visit Jupiter last week and can confirm that it is pretty much business as usual there. The collection of boys and the quality of the dance show remains the best in BKK in my opinion.

The bar was not quite as full as usual, with a few vacant seats, but still about 50+ paying guests throughout the evening. There were more farangs present than usual (many complain (wrongly) that this is a sticky-rice bar) but it was noticible that the ususal younger Asian tourist crowd that patronise this bar were absent. I put this down to the recent closure of Suvarnabhumi scaring the nervous nellies away, but I'm sure they'll be back in numbers over the Xmas and NY holiday period.

ozcamo-old
December 21st, 2008, 19:43
I can confirm that all flights out of Sydney Australia to Bangkok are at 96% capacity. Had real trouble getting a ticket for a friend to join me for my trip. With flights full I can only suggest the numbers will go up real fast over the next 2 weeks.

Also many cheaper hotels are already over 80% booked in popular places. it seems to me Places like Australia and Eastern Europe are pushing ahead with holidays as planned.

Like they say don't count your eggs before they are hatched however my quick investigations are showing very fast recovery of tourist numbers.

December 21st, 2008, 20:28
A friend of mine works at one of the 5-star hotels next to the river. 2 weeks ago he was complaining how bored he was at work due to very few guests, and how he would be missing out on a lot of money from the service charge. A week later, and the hotel is full.

Soi 4 might not be quite as busy as could be expected for this time of year, but there are still quite a lot of people there, even mid-week.

December 22nd, 2008, 08:14
Good for them. They are excellent. Keep up the good job

December 22nd, 2008, 08:47
I can confirm that all flights out of Sydney Australia to Bangkok are at 96% capacity. Had real trouble getting a ticket for a friend to join me for my trip. With flights full I can only suggest the numbers will go up real fast over the next 2 weeks. That's great news for Thailand. A friend just told me he was on a flight from Sydney on Saturday that was 96% full but when he got to the baggage carousel in Bangkok airport there were only about 10 passengers collecting their suitcases. That's what, 1% of the passengers on a 747? The rest of them were going on to Europe. But, as you say, those 96% full flights are now off-loading all their passengers in Bangkok and no-one is traveling on to Europe. Is that right? By the way he's staying at the Tarntawan and he says it's pretty empty so far as he can tell, apart from the police who are sitting around the lobby soaking up the free hospitality all hours of the day and night. And then there's this story in today's Bangkok Post - "Mr Morris said recent events have blighted the industry. So far, his hotel has had around 5,000 room-nights cancelled from December to January. He said the Peninsula's losses already total US$2 million and it faces hardship, along with other hotels on the Chao Phraya riverside. The hotel's occupancy has tumbled to around 35% from its normal rate of 75%, he said. Two of the hotel's restaurants have also been temporarily closed to reduce operating costs. One will reopen this week and the other over Christmas, although some restaurants will close again if the situation lasts until the first quarter of 2009, he said."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tou ... cal-guests (http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tourism/8524/peninsula-seeks-salvation-in-bookings-from-local-guests)

But I guess you guys know best.

December 22nd, 2008, 10:22
But I guess you guys know best.
next time I go out I will be sure to consult the Bangkok Post to see how busy it is....

there were only about 10 passengers collecting their suitcases. That's what, 1% of the passengers on a 747?
A 1000 seat 747? Airbus will be disappointed to hear that!

December 22nd, 2008, 21:52
Great News all is back together again this New P.M sounds amazing i hope he can hang on in there with his finger Nails>

Ill be back there soon, But I cant find any Gay friendly Hotel to let me have a room any one know any vacant in Pattaya or Bangkok?

Not Welcome Inn please its not nice?

pong
December 23rd, 2008, 08:25
1.airlines have also drastically cut back the nr of flights into/via BKK-they cannot afford to run empty planes. Daily arrivals at Suvannapuhumi are down from 100.000 normal to around 35/40.000 now (BKKPost-3/4 days ago)
2.BKKPost here reports a fall in occupancy for the 4/5** hotels from normal 75/80 to some at barely 10- with25-30% average
3.also nonsense that lower-budget hotels are full-though that may well be the case for some who hold long-term contracts with touroperators or so. At this quarter in BKK-where I stay since 1/11-its still all low-season price and many offers previously unheard of-like 2 for 1 hotelnights or discounts of 40-50%.
4.mainly the really upper-bracket and Asians are lacking-Koreans, Japanese-the KRW also lost near 40/50% against US$ and thus THB

December 23rd, 2008, 08:36
But I guess you guys know best.next time I go out I will be sure to consult the Bangkok Post to see how busy it is....
there were only about 10 passengers collecting their suitcases. That's what, 1% of the passengers on a 747? A 1000 seat 747? Airbus will be disappointed to hear that!Whatever single-digit percentage it is - about 4% I suppose - it's less than the 96% the original poster was boasting. As for consulting the Bangkok Post, as we know Chao Na says you can believe everything you read in the papers (especially if it is about pedophiles) and he is my hero as you know. The most recent post before this one also confirms what I wrote.

December 23rd, 2008, 09:18
By the way he's staying at the Tarntawan and he says it's pretty empty so far as he can tell, apart from the police who are sitting around the lobby soaking up the free hospitality

One reason to avoid the Tarntawan then. As a legitimate business, they would be better off not providing free hospitality to the BIB.

TrongpaiExpat
December 23rd, 2008, 11:02
in BKK-where I stay since 1/11-its still all low-season price and many offers previously unheard of-like 2 for 1 hotelnights or discounts of 40-50%.
4.mainly the really upper-bracket and Asians are lacking-Koreans, Japanese-the KRW also lost near 40/50% against US$ and thus THB

OK, I suffered through reading all that unique writing style and you don't even name this hotel giving 40-50-% discounts?

December 23rd, 2008, 12:34
I Hear Trantawan Place Is fully Booked. Good for them. They are excellent. Keep up the good job

And a few days ago I checked for a friend at Om Yim Lodge; Malaysia Hotel and Vincents and they are all fully booked. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the low price of the rooms and them being gay or gay-friendly.
Regular non-gay hotels still have vacancies and I hear that some have closed entire floors to save costs.