PDA

View Full Version : Jet Airways ┬г400 London - Mumbai - Bangkok Feb 09

December 20th, 2008, 03:20
Hi

Have just been checking fligt prices for Feb 09 and I can get a flight with Jet Airways for between ┬г390 & ┬г440 or direct with Eva for ┬г555. I have two questions

1) Has anyone used Jet airways [either on this route or not] - what was the service and flight like

2) Is it worth the saving of ┬г100-┬г150 to fly non-direct

Thanks
Brian

December 20th, 2008, 06:11
I was a tad surprised that Jet Airways scored very high in the recent "Which?" airline poll. However,the score was from a fairly low response base and I suspect that a certain community has a tendency not to find fault with products it identifies with on a national basis.

I prefer to break the journey and walk round a terminal en-route. Currently, Etihad are very good value and Qatar have a strong reputation.

December 20th, 2008, 10:03
The Jet airways flight is likely to be full of Indians. Nice Taiwanese on the EVA flight -no contest.

ceejay
December 20th, 2008, 18:41
I'd go for the Eva Air option. Their planes are nearly all economy class, and as a result the seats have about 3" more leg room than most other economy sections. I used them recently, and had no complaints at all.

I haven't used Jet, so I can't comment on the quality of their service but, if you use them, your total flying time will be around 20 hours. Minimum one and a half hour stopover in Mumbai, and that's nearly a day for the journey as opposed to 12 hours for the direct flight. That alone makes the ┬г150 worth spending for me, leaving aside the potential for problems with baggage transfers, connections etc.

But, it's really where you think you get the best value for your money. ┬г150 will cover off fees and tips for four or five nights :compress:

Whatever you choose, have a great holiday. I envy you, I have to wait another year.

December 21st, 2008, 06:37
Bearded OBrian
ARE U NUTS, or just very inexperienced?????????????????????????
Look at some of the Airline Reviews for the answer!
Gerefan
PS Do yourself a favour and use a reputable Airline!

Shuee
December 21st, 2008, 19:00
BB you should consider;

non direct is cheaper but longer duration in total hrs, if you can sleep on a direct flights, do you really want to be woken up half way through the flight to change planes, but some people like this as they get a chance to stretch their legs, especially those who cannot sleep so well

its presonal preference really & whether you need to save money for more fun in los :cheers:

another thing to consider is if you can only get a short vacation leave from work, its obvious to go direct then, if your not on a budget,
i know some people who value their short trips so much that they take a taxi from bkk to pty as they fear the bus takes too long
now if i were retired i would probably have non-direct flight

so its all about you, your funds & what you prefer, again if you like better service this may be found with a better airline

December 21st, 2008, 20:18
2) Is it worth the saving of ┬г100-┬г150 to fly non-direct

Thanks
Brian

I think it depends on your circumstances. I value my time at a notional rate similar to my effective salary for 1 hour.
So if I save several hours with a direct flight, then it's worth paying extra & even more so if I can get a more comfortable seat on the plane for example.

If I was retired & had lot's of free time & limited cash, things might be different.

December 21st, 2008, 23:31
yes i am staggered too! anyone know why this is so??

I hope you are trying to make us smile, Shuee. Otherwise, drink a little less Mekong. Airline long haul schedule times are somewhat notional and the the air authorities in the countries they fly over make sure there is usually reasonable separation between aircraft. I do agree it's daft that the immigration facility utilisation is not smoothed better.

January 7th, 2009, 04:53
Ok some of you may have wondered what I decided to do. Despite what had been said I had read reviews about Jet Airways but I also wanted to know if any board members had anything good or bad to say about the airline. Any way the decision was taken out of my hands as I could no longer get the dates or the price I wanted. Since then I've been dithering, not just over direct or non-direct but also over whether or not to go to Thailand. Today I was notified of a deal on Thai for ┬г500 - the dates weren't perfect but close enough to be workable - with snow falling and the temp dropping I finally decided to book a flight. Now this will confuse you I've booked a non-direct flight with Etihad for ┬г400 - why - there were a few factors
1] not a major factor but the ┬г100 means a bit more spending money
2] the stopovers aren't too long
3] the stop over allows me to straigten up [I don't usually suffer on long haul flights to Thailand but at the moment am suffering from post operation [triple bypass] posture problems
4] the exact dates I wanted and
5] more convenient departure and arrival times

i'll post my review of Etihad on my return

Brian

joe552
January 8th, 2009, 03:16
I flew Etihad from Dublin to BKK via Abu Dhabi last year and thought they were fine. Have done EVA via Heathrow, but will never use that airport again (EVA were fine, too) but I like the stopover of a couple of hours (I'm a smoker, and I can't sleep sitting up!). Abu Dhabi is one of the smallest airports I've been to, but manageable for a couple of hours. Will do the route again in September, and currently flights are тВм100 less than last year.

January 8th, 2009, 03:45
I'm sure that will be better than going via India.

January 8th, 2009, 05:44
I am planning on booking a flight from Los Angeles to Bangkok on Thai Airways, non stop, for $986 USD. Comparatively, is this a good deal? I always wanted to fly on TA.

Lunchtime O'Booze
January 8th, 2009, 08:15
Odd..I have been trying to book an open return train trip from London to Manchester for next March..the price quoted was 400 pounds !

quiet1
January 8th, 2009, 19:46
I am planning on booking a flight from Los Angeles to Bangkok on Thai Airways, non stop, for $986 USD. Comparatively, is this a good deal? I always wanted to fly on TA.
Is that price one-way or round-trip?

January 8th, 2009, 20:13
Odd..I have been trying to book an open return train trip from London to Manchester for next March..the price quoted was 400 pounds !

Currently, Sir Richard is reported as performing an hissy fit. Didn't spot him in Zermatt over New Year as one has in the past.