PDA

View Full Version : Abhisit Assumes Power

December 17th, 2008, 17:30
BBC

Thai King endorses new PM Abhisit

Abhisit Vejjajiva has a reputation for clean politics

Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej has given his endorsement for Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva to become prime minister.

Thai television showed footage of the king signing the notice of appointment.

The step formalises Mr Abhisit's ascent to power after 16 years in politics, making him the country's third leader in as many months.

He has promised to tackle economic woes deepened by a political crisis which has starkly divided Thai society.

Mr Abhisit is British-born and carries a rare reputation for probity.

He came to office after defections in parliament by some supporters of former leader Thaksin Shinawatra, who was deposed by the military and remains in exile overseas.

ABHISIT VEJJAJIVA
Born in Britain, educated at Eton and Oxford
Entered parliament in 1992 as one of its youngest members
Party leader since 2005
Opposed military coup that overthrew Thaksin Shinawatra

Mr Abhisit's Democrat Party has failed to win the past three elections in Thailand.

Our correspondent says his first and most difficult challenge will be calming the intense political atmosphere that has seen the country bitterly divided between supporters and opponents of the exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

December 17th, 2008, 18:38
Not another PM with an Oxbridge education. They are generally useless as leaders in the UK, although Mrs Thatcher was a rare exception.

December 18th, 2008, 01:48
Not another PM with an Oxbridge education. They are generally useless as leaders in the UK, although Mrs Thatcher was a rare exception.

Yes. Far from being useless, she did immense harm, much of it coming home to roost now.

Wesley
December 18th, 2008, 02:19
The interview I saw on CNN was at best scary, I am not sure this guy can hold on to power, He did not seem sure of himself at all, he is young and his body language gave away a lot of secrets about his security in that position. I saw the review several time on loop. I am not sure he could hold off another fight with any color shirt.

We

December 18th, 2008, 06:34
Interesting. I remember 6-8 yrs ago mention of an extremely green Demo "without sin" (hard to believe at that) but then of course since the Demos couldn't possibly get close then it wasn't too important. I guess that's the one now given a chance to survive a shark feeding. Thai politics - fun to watch.

December 18th, 2008, 06:48
Interesting. I remember 6-8 yrs ago mention of an extremely green Demo "without sin" (hard to believe at that) but then of course since the Demos couldn't possibly get close then it wasn't too important. I guess that's the one now given a chance to survive a shark feeding. Thai politics - fun to watch.I was told that Chuarn Leek Pie was a fairly clean Democrat and unpopular only because he tried to clean up Thai business practices and the economy after the 1997 crisis. Aren't the Democrats supposed to be the least corrupt of all the parties?

Wesley
December 18th, 2008, 06:52
He just seemed really green and a bit scared to me, I could be readign more into it than is there.

December 18th, 2008, 22:05
I was told that Chuarn Leek Pie was a fairly clean Democrat and unpopular only because he tried to clean up Thai business practices and the economy after the 1997 crisis. Aren't the Democrats supposed to be the least corrupt of all the parties?

From what I know of Chuan you are correct, but the last 3 Democrat governments all got the push due to corruption being exposed - lastly by their "new best friend" Newin Chidchob!

I think that Wes has put his finger on it; Abhisit does little to inspire confidence and display strong leadership, which is what is needed when the coalition partners have nothing in common but their desire to remain in power at any cost - preferably without the need for an election! He is really only governing at the whim of the minor parties, who consequently now have far more power than they merit and who clearly intend to make the most of it.

For "body language", Wes, you need look no further than the photos of Newin and Abhisit together; you could hardly imagine from them that Newin had just been banned from politics for 5 years and Abhisit had just succeeded in putting his coalition together to make him Prime Minister - Abhisit looks as happy as if he has just been given a rip at school.

December 19th, 2008, 03:04
He was born in Newcastle and educated at Eton. That can't be a bad thing. He will make an excellent leader!!

December 19th, 2008, 05:09
He was born in Newcastle and educated at Eton. That can't be a bad thing. He will make an excellent leader!!

Good grief! I don't think we've had an Etonian PM since Sir Alec Douglas Hume and he is remembered mostly for his heroically acquired speech impediment. Labour's Old Etonian, (Sir) Tam Dalyell, the Baronette o' the Binns, hardly demonstrated Prime Ministerial qualities.

December 19th, 2008, 06:42
He was born in Newcastle and educated at Eton. That can't be a bad thing. He will make an excellent leader!!Good grief! I don't think we've had an Etonian PM since Sir Alec Douglas Hume and he is remembered mostly for his heroically acquired speech impediment. Labour's Old Etonian, (Sir) Tam Dalyell, the Baronette o' the Binns, hardly demonstrated Prime Ministerial qualities.So what you're saying is that Abhisit is likely to understand that Queen Elizabeth truly practices constitutional monarchy?

December 19th, 2008, 15:45
He was born in Newcastle and educated at Eton. That can't be a bad thing. He will make an excellent leader!!Good grief! I don't think we've had an Etonian PM since Sir Alec Douglas Hume and he is remembered mostly for his heroically acquired speech impediment. Labour's Old Etonian, (Sir) Tam Dalyell, the Baronette o' the Binns, hardly demonstrated Prime Ministerial qualities.So what you're saying is that Abhisit is likely to understand that Queen Elizabeth truly practices constitutional monarchy?

If you like, but I'm at a loss to see how you got there.

December 20th, 2008, 11:28
Good grief! I don't think we've had an Etonian PM since Sir Alec Douglas Hume and he is remembered mostly for his heroically acquired speech impediment. Labour's Old Etonian, (Sir) Tam Dalyell, the Baronette o' the Binns, hardly demonstrated Prime Ministerial qualities.

The most recent Old Etonian PM (admittedly not of Great Britain) was James Chichester-Clark (later Baron Moyola) PM of Northern Ireland from 1969 to 1971.

Jeremy Thorpe hardly demonstrated too many Prime Ministerial qualities either!