PDA

View Full Version : Tourism numbers fall in Asia

December 15th, 2008, 15:26
It's not just Thailand apparently so maybe the PAD only made a bad situation worse. In Vietnam numbers have been falling since June. Is Thailand much different? http://asia.news.yahoo.com/081128/4/3srdy.html

December 15th, 2008, 15:44
It's not just Thailand apparently so maybe the PAD only made a bad situation worse. In Vietnam numbers have been falling since June. Is Thailand much different? http://asia.news.yahoo.com/081128/4/3srdy.html

The PAD has actually not much to do with the drop in tourist figures. Maybe their actions are just used by most 'cancellers' in order to cancel their trips, rather than saying: "I can't afford to go on a holiday now my shares have dropped" or "My savings are in an Iceland Bank!"

searcher
December 15th, 2008, 16:18
Having lived in Vietnam for several months I think the loss of tourists is more caused by scams, rip offs and poor service than by the economic crisis

Beachlover
December 15th, 2008, 18:29
Having lived in Vietnam for several months I think the loss of tourists is more caused by scams, rip offs and poor service than by the economic crisis

What sort of scams and rip offs do you get in Vietnam? Is it different from Thailand?

searcher
December 15th, 2008, 19:02
Check the Lonelyplanet Torntree website and read about bad experiences tourists have made there. You hardly ever get what y paid for , you literally have to check every bill at restaurants, hotels etc., or y ll be ripped off. Or as an American mate of mine who runs a business there used to say: You give them a million, and they f... you for 1000. They rip off the people and don t consider that they loose customers for the future. IMO Thais are very different though they are no saints, too but are we Westerners ?

Beachlover
December 16th, 2008, 04:37
Check the Lonelyplanet Torntree website and read about bad experiences tourists have made there. You hardly ever get what y paid for , you literally have to check every bill at restaurants, hotels etc., or y ll be ripped off. Or as an American mate of mine who runs a business there used to say: You give them a million, and they f... you for 1000. They rip off the people and don t consider that they loose customers for the future. IMO Thais are very different though they are no saints, too but are we Westerners ?

Wow... I didn't think it was that bad. Makes Thailand sound like a developed nation!

I wonder how such a bad culture of being dis-honest to tourists builds.

I heard there are some pretty serious scams in Vietnam.

brighton man
December 16th, 2008, 04:48

The PAD has actually not much to do with the drop in tourist figures. Maybe their actions are just used by most 'cancellers' in order to cancel their trips, rather than saying: "I can't
afford to go on a holiday now my shares have dropped" or "My savings are in an Iceland Bank!"

I think the pad have everything to do with it .