PDA

View Full Version : thai tips

thaiguest
December 14th, 2008, 18:08
A friend, newly arrived in Thailand, asked me for some tips on carving out a long and happy life here.
I put together the following; (additions welcome)

Learn Thai.
Practice Safe sex.
Be wary of foreigners esp. re. property deals.
When taking off boys/girls err on the older side. There are plenty of sexy 20 year olds.
Don't do drugs or mix with druggies.
Get to know a high ranking policeman or someone who knows one.
Do some business with a lawyer and get to know him/her.
Get registered with a hospital.
Shut up about Thai politics and religion esp. within earshot of Thais.
If you're rich don't flaunt the fact.
Don't be a fool with your money.
Don't be too mean.
Expect the unexpected.
Expect to be misunderstood very often.
Don't work, this is an idler's paradise.

To be really safe stay in your room, like me.

painai2
December 14th, 2008, 21:03
I notice you put Learn Thai at the top of the list. I think it should be number one and is a necessity for communicating with the very guys we like to have fun with. However, it amazes me how few Farangs here in Pattaya learn Thai or even try to express a few words. Learning a new language opens up a whole new world with Thais and is good exercise to boot for the brain (if you're 60+ years).

December 15th, 2008, 15:15
Why bother learning Thai if you're going to "stay safe in your room????"

December 15th, 2008, 18:33
A few more, in no particular order
1. Try and enjoy Thai cuisine.
2. Make friends outside the farang gay community.
3. Dont get stuck in the same old handful of restaurants.
4. Try some charity work
5. Join a health club because you will find that your physical fitness will deteriorate.
6. Get your own transport. A reliance on baht buses will restrict you.
7. Visit neighbouring Asian countries.
8. Try and befriend ordinary Thai people and not just the Thais who work in bars.
9. If ever you wake up not knowing what you are going to do that day, or worry about money, or when to have that first drink, plus any other depressing signs that you are under stress, than that is the time to RETHINK.

anakot
December 16th, 2008, 16:34
Some great ideas Lester.

My input. I use buses bigtime and walk lots. What never ceases to amaze me and enchant me is the way these folk can turn a street side pavement into a place filled with fun and enterprize. Of course other places too but in western countries there are all sorts of insurance hangups and it is mostly too cold!

Yes walking is one of the great pleasures particularly in the older areas.

Wesley
December 16th, 2008, 17:30

LOL"SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsss how true what a paradox.

December 16th, 2008, 19:22
where the tourist spoke to 2 local guys asking them where the nearest cash machine was - the tourist spoke in 7 languages and the locals still did not understand. Afterwards, one local said to the other "you know we must try and learn to speak a new language, it will help us", to which the other local guy replied "why bother, the tourist could speak 7 languages, but it didn't help him".

thaiguest
December 22nd, 2008, 07:16

But i not stay in my loom khundiow. Kow jai?

thaiguest
December 22nd, 2008, 07:19
2. Make friends outside the farang gay community.
3. Dont get stuck in the same old handful of restaurants.
4. Try some charity work
5. Join a health club because you will find that your physical fitness will deteriorate.
6. Get your own transport. A reliance on baht buses will restrict you.
7. Visit neighbouring Asian countries.
8. Try and befriend ordinary Thai people and not just the Thais who work in bars.
9. If ever you wake up not knowing what you are going to do that day, or worry about money, or when to have that first drink, plus any other depressing signs that you are under stress, than that is the time to RETHINK.

Excellent additions, thank you. Now I'm afraid I'll have to RETHINK.

December 23rd, 2008, 17:37

I've tried Thai cuisine twice on this holiday. The first time was like a mild dose of laxitive and the second was very messy & uncomfortable.

How long does it take one's system to become resistant to infected food?

Dani69
December 23rd, 2008, 18:44
Stayed in Pattaya for five weeks having only just returned to a cold but sunny Espa├▒a.
Had the same Thai boy for most of the time and he took me to some of his friends food halls.
I have to say i didn`t have any bad experiences after the food, then again I did stay well clear of the over spicey stuff.
Maybe having a nice boy to help you choose and translate the menu would be a suggestion.
Having experienced food poisioning once here in Spain my sympathy goes out to you -not very nice at all.

December 23rd, 2008, 19:27
Stayed in Pattaya for five weeks having only just returned to a cold but sunny Espa├▒a.
Had the same Thai boy for most of the time and he took me to sum of his friends food halls.
I have to say i didn`t have any bad experiences after the food, then again I did stay well clear of the over spicey stuff.
Maybe having a nice boy to help you choose and translate the menu would be a suggestion.
Having experienced food poisioning once here in Spain my sympathy goes out to you -not very nice at all.

A boy who I spent 4 nights with took me to this restaurant & ate there himself too.

allieb
December 24th, 2008, 11:48

I've tried Thai cuisine twice on this holiday. The first time was like a mild dose of laxitive and the second was very messy & uncomfortable.

How long does it take one's system to become resistant to infected food?

You've obviously never eaten arse

December 25th, 2008, 21:22
A golden rule should be to avoid any gathering where there are more than 3 Farangs present

Ditto - though maybe I would reduce it to 3 or more!

December 25th, 2008, 22:51
I would be interested in knowing how many of the Thai speakers on this Forum have discussed the global financial crisis and its implications for Thailand, in Thai, with their boyfriends.

painai2
December 25th, 2008, 23:11
That's easy, when I go by a bank I just show my Thai friend the exchange rate and explain, in Thai, how bad it is for me exchanging dollars to baht--now and in the future.

December 26th, 2008, 09:46
Have been educating a few Tai Yai boys that "economy vely bad now"(sic) is the new "buffalo he dead"! If you hear that one in Chiang Mai when trying to get away with a cheap charlie tip you'll know where they got it fromI just think learning Thai to the level where I could talk about my job (banking) with Thais in Thai would be a waste of time, as the ones who could understand it would be educated in English anyway. And if I can't talk about my job in any serious way in a foreign language I don't see the point of learning more than a few phrase book words. Does Aunty talk about her research in nuclear physics in Thai?

Hmmm
December 26th, 2008, 09:59
I would be interested in knowing how many of the Thai speakers on this Forum have discussed the global financial crisis and its implications for Thailand, in Thai, with their boyfriends.

I'm not a Thai speaker, but fortunately the bf has an English degree and so understands a little more than basic English, more or less. :-) However, like many Thais he doesn't read, avoids newspapers and TV news, and has no interest in politics or world affairs (other than thinking that the PAD should all be shot). I found out recently that he had never heard of the last Asian economic crisis, although he would have been in the final years of high school at the time.

He works in the import-export business, which of course is severely affected by the current crisis. Fortunately his bosses sat their staff down and explained to them that times would be tough, but the company was in good shape to survive.

That and a long talk I had with him about what it could mean (ie he could lose his job) seems to have sunk in. He's cut back his spending and is getting his debts under control. This is the first time he's demonstrated even the slightest sign of any financial responsibility.

TrongpaiExpat
December 26th, 2008, 12:04
like many Thais he doesn't read, avoids newspapers and TV news,

This is not my experience of the average Thai. Thailand has one of the highest newspaper readerships in the world, and there are thousands of daily/weekly/monthly print publications of all types. Even the so-called uneducated Thais often read newspapers and watch TV news.

I agree with the fat one. Thais are often hesitant to express strong opinions and if an opinion is offered it's to someone trusted and close, not to an acquaintance met on holiday from a foreign country and certainly not someone that you just offed from a bar for sex.

zinzone
December 26th, 2008, 12:13
A friend, newly arrived in Thailand, asked me for some tips on carving out a long and happy life here.
I put together the following; (additions welcome)

Learn Thai.
Practice Safe sex.
Be wary of foreigners esp. re. property deals.
When taking off boys/girls err on the older side. There are plenty of sexy 20 year olds.
Don't do drugs or mix with druggies.
Get to know a high ranking policeman or someone who knows one.
Do some business with a lawyer and get to know him/her.
Get registered with a hospital.
Shut up about Thai politics and religion esp. within earshot of Thais.
If you're rich don't flaunt the fact.
Don't be a fool with your money.
Don't be too mean.
Expect the unexpected.
Expect to be misunderstood very often.
Don't work, this is an idler's paradise.

To be really safe stay in your room, like me.

Take issue with the 6th point as if you get friendly with police here, will not be long before they are knocking on your door soliciting a "loan" etc!

TrongpaiExpat
December 26th, 2008, 13:01
All good advise but while your pondering all this wisdom look down and step carefully, the pavement is not even, wobbles and can even cave in. While your looking down don't forget to look up, awning, signs and high voltage cables are often at mid forehead height . Then finally as your alternatively looking down and up watch out for motorbikes that drive on the sidewalk, come flying out of blind sub sois, walkways or any opening and going in the wrong direction.

Hmmm
December 26th, 2008, 13:05
like many Thais he doesn't read, avoids newspapers and TV news,

This is not my experience of the average Thai. Thailand has one of the highest newspaper readerships in the world, and there are thousands of daily/weekly/monthly print publications of all types. Even the so-called uneducated Thais often read newspapers and watch TV news.

OK, so my bf and his friends must be the only Thais who don't read. But did I mention that they do spend most of their days naked (sorry Dodger, I couldn't resist) ? :-)

If Thais do read, they certainly aren't doing it on the skytrain, underground, and buses I travel on ... like people in many parts of the world do. All those newspapers must be home-delivered.

Smiles
December 26th, 2008, 15:30
" ... while your pondering all this wisdom look down and step carefully, the pavement is not even, wobbles and can even cave in. While your looking down don't forget to look up, awning, signs and high voltage cables are often at mid forehead height . Then finally as your alternatively looking down and up watch out for motorbikes that drive on the sidewalk, come flying out of blind sub sois, walkways or any opening and going in the wrong direction ... "
Just a few more reasons why I love living in Thailand. :cheers: :cherry:

" ... Thais are often hesitant to express strong opinions and if an opinion is offered it's to someone trusted and close, not to an acquaintance met on holiday from a foreign country and certainly not someone that you just offed from a bar for sex ... "
Couldn't agree more Trongpai. My guy has no compunction whatsoever about discussing anything and everything regarding Thai politics ("overall: useless and embarassing!"), the Thai Army and Police ("overall: corrupt 100%") ... and that includes the Monarchy.

But sitting with other friends, under a beach umbrella, in a bar, in a restaurant? Forget it.

Cheers ...

x in pattaya
December 26th, 2008, 18:16
If Thais do read, they certainly aren't doing it on the skytrain, underground, and buses I travel on ... like people in many parts of the world do. All those newspapers must be home-delivered.

I live across the street from a news dealer who does a roaring business. I assume most newspapers are shared amongst many people, so circulation rates understate how many newspapers are read.

Mass-circulation dailies

Thai Rath - Claiming a circulation of approximately 1 million,this is Thailand's most influential newspaper.

Daily News - Circulation was claimed to be as high as 900,000 for 2005 .

Khao Sod - The third circulation among Thai newspapers behind Thai Rath and Daily News.

Kom Chad Luek - Claimed a circulation of approximately 850,000[4] in 2005.

Quality dailies
Matichon - Claims circulation of approximately 600,000 [4].

Thai Post - Estimated circulation in 2000 was estimated to average approximately 30,000. [7]

Naew Na - Estimated daily circulation was claimed to average 300,000 in 2002.[8] Editorial line is progressive.

Business dailies
Krungthep Turakij - Circulation is in the 80,000-100,000 range.

Post Today - Has circulation of approximately 100,000. Owned by Post Publishing Pcl, publishers of the Bangkok Post.

Phoojadkarn Daily - Circulation is around 100,000.

The online edition of the paper is Thailand's most popular news website.