PDA

View Full Version : German club pool near Malaysia

lonelywombat
December 10th, 2008, 16:41
Tonight at the rice queens bar, it was mentioned that a member had used the pool at the German Club near Malaysia Hotel

He had also stayed at a new hotel opposite the Malaysia which he thought was good value

I have no names or addresses but would like info. Anyone can help?????

Hmmm
December 10th, 2008, 17:01
The 'German club' is probably the Goethe Institute, which has a pool.
http://www.goethe.de/ins/th/ban/uun/ver/enindex.htm
I vaguely recall its being available to the public for a fee (unlike that at the British Club).

searcher
December 10th, 2008, 17:42
Yes, the Goethe Institut has a very nice pool, the institut is in avery quiet and secluded area. Last year in October its pool was not for public use when I was there asking. A membership for at least 1 month (maybe more) was necessary, I do not remember the price but then it did not seem too be expensive for me. I will live near this place next year and get me a membership card and report. BTW There is a small nice German restaurant adjected for lover of German sausages (waiting for sarcastic comments)

TOQ
December 10th, 2008, 17:44
I believe the hotel across from the Malaysia is the Ibis Hotel

Ibis Hotel - Bangkok (http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-6291-hotel-ibis-siam-bangkok/index.shtml)

john

searcher
December 10th, 2008, 17:49
Yes the Goethe Institut has a very nice pool but - at least -last year it was not open for public. One had to obtain a membership card for at least 1 month(maybe more). I do not remember the exact price but then it did not seem to be too much . The area is nice and quiet and there is a small restaurant with German food adjected. I will live near this place from next year on and obtain a membership card and report.

lonelywombat
December 11th, 2008, 01:38
I believe the hotel across from the Malaysia is the Ibis Hotel

Ibis Hotel - Bangkok (http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-6291-hotel-ibis-siam-bangkok/index.shtml)

john

That is a confusing website as it is too close to the Victory monument. I think the one you are referring to is the Ibis Sathorn which has a link on the left "nearby hotels " There appears to be 3 Ibis hotels.

here is the address from the website, which I think is the right area

Soi Ngam Duphli Rama IV Sathorn - 10120 - BANGKOK - THAILAND

Tel : (+66)2/6592888 Fax : (+66)2/6592889

December 11th, 2008, 05:09
vaguely recall its being available to the public for a fee (unlike that at the British Club).

'scuse me? By what weird moral logic do you assert that the subscribers to a private club are somehow obliged to admit members of the public for some lesser fee? Or are you one of the twisted nuts on this board who will seek any daft excuse to have a go at the British? Pathetic.

lonelywombat
December 11th, 2008, 13:08

I vaguely recall its being available to the public for a fee (unlike that at the British Club).

You are correct the British Club do not allow casual use of their pool,dining room,bars or facilities. They also have a very high membership fee.

December 11th, 2008, 15:30

You are correct the British Club do not allow casual use of their pool,dining room,bars or facilities. They also have a very high membership fee.

Neither are they subsidised by tax payers, which I'm not sure is true of the Goethe Institute, who in any case don't, according to some posts here, allow the access alluded to.

Hmmm
December 11th, 2008, 16:31
It appears that the Goethe Institute allows pool use by the public upon payment of a monthly fee.That would appear to be consistent with my memory. I believe they used to advertise that fact on their web site (it now seems to have been redesigned). The British Club - another club in the Silom-Sathorn area whose pool facilities I have looked into - does not offer similar access.

Anything else people read into my post is their imagination.

December 11th, 2008, 22:02
It appears that the Goethe Institute allows pool use by the public upon payment of a monthly fee.That would appear to be consistent with my memory. I believe they used to advertise that fact on their web site (it now seems to have been redesigned). The British Club - another club in the Silom-Sathorn area whose pool facilities I have looked into - does not offer similar access.

Anything else people read into my post is their imagination.

According to their website the "Goethe-Institut is the Federal Republic of GermanyтАЩs cultural institution operational worldwide.!"

Why you should expect

"The British Club Bangkok ... a family, sports, and social Members Club situated in downtown Bangkok... centrally located between Silom and Suriwongse Roads" (The British Club, Bangkok website)

a privately run and funded Club to offer the same facilities is mysterious, but it is not my "imagination" that you held them in odious comparison to the subsidised enterprise of the German state.

The British equivalent of the Goethe Institute is the British Council who have offices and facilities in Siam Square, Pinklao and Ladprao. Generally, British Council facilities do not have swimming pools.

kjun12
December 13th, 2008, 07:30
The Ibis hotel near the Malaysia has got to be one of the ugliest places around. Surely it was designed by a sight impaired architect. Also rather small rooms. Much better deal at the Malaysia.

TrongpaiExpat
December 13th, 2008, 10:03
Yesterday the Ibis had 12 rooms occupied out of 213. Of course any moment a few huge Asian group tour buses could pull up and fill the joint to the dismay of the poor people occupying the 12 other rooms.

I also know the assistant manager of the Sheridan, their occupancy is at 20% now that the airports has resumed service. This time last year the occupancy rate was 80%.

December 13th, 2008, 18:17
Posting this from the lobby of an IBIS - regretably in Paris at 4 degrees c. The weekend rate I paid was what I usually pay for 4* in Bangkok but I slept well. I'll certainly try the IBIS next time I'm south of Lumpini.
--
2nd to world's dumbest Scot

December 13th, 2008, 21:38
Yesterday the Ibis had 12 rooms occupied out of 213. Of course any moment a few huge Asian group tour buses could pull up and fill the joint to the dismay of the poor people occupying the 12 other rooms.

Your comment is palpably racist.
Would it be OK if the buses were filled with fat Americans?