PDA

View Full Version : Tivoli Hotel Bangkok

December 6th, 2008, 15:26
I swore to myself that I would never get involved with one of these forums but I need some advice quickly and so Hello to you all.

A friend has emailed from Canada asking about the Tivoli Hotel in Bangkok. He's been offered a package there costing US$42/night.

I live in Jomtien and never heard of it. I looked at the hotel website and it looks nice but I know little about Bangkok and nothing about this place or the area it's in.

Can someone tell me if it's Gay Friendly, what is the policy on Joiners and how much is a taxi downtown to the bars.

Thank you.

krobbie
December 6th, 2008, 16:34
MM,
I have not stayed at or sighted this hotel but it is about 10 minutes to Silom, so will cost very little in taxi to get to the bars.

It is not on the BTS route unfortunately so he will need to be vigilant about insisting the taxi turn on the meter or asking for meter before getting in. These guys will try and hike the price otherwise especially as it has been a hard month for the drivers with a lack of falang this past week.

The room sizes range from tiny to massive. I hope he hasn't got the smallest room. It may to check.

This is from Asia Rooms ...

The room types at The Tivoli Hotel Bangkok includes

- Tivoli Suites (103 sqm.)
- Deluxe (43 sqm.)
- Classic (38 sqm.)
- Cozy (33 sqm.)
- City (24 sqm.)

The rooms are well appointed with modern facilities and keep in mind the needs of the guests. The room facilities at The Tivoli Hotel Bangkok includes LCD TV, DVD player, internet access, electronic safe, hair dryer, refrigerator, tea/ coffee maker, iron board/ iron (on request), and electronic key card.

And this from DirectRooms ...

Stylish boutique hotel, with spacious rooms, various leisure facilities & free Tuk-tuk shuttle service

Seems they have a rooftop pool area which looks great.

having said all this. $US42 can buy many places in and around Silom/Sathorn. Make sure breakfast is included in the room rate. It should be. I have no idea and can't glean much online to say if the hotel is fine for "offs". I would suggest however that your friend makes sure he is paying the double/twin room price or there may be trouble even if they are gay friendly. No one wants to be ripped off.

Personally ... for the money I think he could do better than this and somewhere more conveniently placed, with a little work on the internet himself. Look on Wotif, LateStays, Asia Rooms, Sawasdee or Asiatravel ... all .com

Good luck,
krobbie

TrongpaiExpat
December 6th, 2008, 21:44
The Tivoli hotel on Soi Sribumphen at Soi Suanswat caters to Asian package tour buses. There's often two parked at the hotel.

The problem with these tour groups is they can decimate the buffet breakfast, make a lot of noise early in the morning and clog up what ever service you might want. Unless you can manage to get there between tour groups than there's no problem.

If the tour groups don't phase you then it a new hotel in a decent neighborhood. 20 B moto cy to MRT Lumpini or 41-47B taxi to Suriwong/soi Twilight. They have one of those golf cart looking shuttles that takes you to MRT free but during rush hour a motocy will get you there quicker. It's walkable as well but these streets don't have sidewalks until you get to Rama 4.

Also lots of good eats in the neighborhood. Short walk to Om Yim, O Ho's and in the other direction be sure to visit a wonderful Thai restaurant round the corner with a green and white sign in Thai with a big aquarium, about 10 tables. There's also all sorts of street food available until late at night.

If your at Tivoli and don't like it for some reason there's an interesting little place around the corner called The Bosses Place and it looks nice.

I heard there's no joiner fees and most likely could care less who your taking to your room as long as it's not something out of the ordinary. It's not a hotel getting many gay clients.

krobbie
December 7th, 2008, 08:15
Here is more info on place that TronpaiExpat suggested.

The Boss's Place Address
35/33, Soi Suwan Sawat, Rama 4 Rd. | Thungmahamek, Sathorn, Bangkok 10120, Thailand

This from TripAdvisor:

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and it was quite a nice change from the Kho San road area. I found the hotel to be very clean, the bathroom was fairly big with nice towels and hot shower. The rooms have ac, mini-bar, tv. The staff is OK, the manager speaks english, but the rest of the staff not really. I recommend it mostly for its location. It is an 8 minute walk to the Lumpini subway station and you can get everywhere from then on. It is also 5 minutes away from the Suam Lum night bazar. The neighborhood is very quiet, there are 7 elevens around. All in all, I was quite happy. For those looking for a traveller atmosphere, well there is none really here, it is more of a small hotel where you do your own thing.

This is web site:

www.thebosshotel.com/ (http://www.thebosshotel.com/)

Cheers
krobbie

kjun12
December 8th, 2008, 09:03
Tivoli is the only place in BKK that gave me food poisoning. It is a nice place but there are much better deals in the area. Vincents is very nice, has an excellent restaurant and is much closer to the subway.

TrongpaiExpat
December 8th, 2008, 22:01
Tivoli is the only place in BKK that gave me food poisoning. It is a nice place but there are much better deals in the area. Vincents is very nice, has an excellent restaurant and is much closer to the subway.

How do you know it was food poisoning and not the stomach flu? Did you have some lab tests?

Sorry you got sick on vacation. It seems that about half of all the trips I made to Thailand over they years I got sick either from something intestinal or respiratory.

www.emedicinehealth.com/food_poisoning/article_em.htm (http://www.emedicinehealth.com/food_poisoning/article_em.htm)

answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006011202861 (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006011202861)

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001652.htm (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001652.htm)

Thanks krobbie for the link. Last time I checked 'The Boss's Place' did not have a web page. It appears gay friendly with the "welcoming all genders" and having short time rates. Might be a good option for those not willing to pay a premium for location and/or gay affiliations.