PDA

View Full Version : Suvarnaphum working like a charm

anakot
December 6th, 2008, 08:13
Finally home.

Raod to airport clear and quick. Airport very busy yesterday (friday) but mostly crowded due to theatre shows and front men regretably with mics apologising etc etc. Straight thru at immigration, no queue, FIRST TIME ever!

Apologies not really necessary because we'll all be back... Well at least the FOQ's. Shit happens.

Apparently tourism is down 70%. I hope the recovery is quick and the two sides find other ways to rip each others throats out without holing the boat. They should try western style democracy (LOL) Oz style where there is a collection of umentionables doing the unthinkable (called parliament).

Now I suppose I will have to go back and CHECK on them in a couple of months. The things I do...

December 6th, 2008, 08:21

Apologies not really necessary because we'll all be back... Well at least the FOQ's. Shit happens.

FOQ's? :scratch:

Thanks for the update.
I'm heading out in 2 weeks.

bao-bao
December 6th, 2008, 09:04
There were no problems arriving at Suvarnabhumi at noontime yesterday, either. The quietest I've ever seen it at either airport, however. On the taxi into the gate in I saw a grand total of SIX planes: one Air Italy, four Thai, one Oman and my EVA flight.

The arrivals floor was somewhat of a ghost town. Most of the shops still weren't up and running, the long "arms" out to the gates were nearly empty, their lights lowered. Immigration was amazingly fast - almost 30 of the windows were open, and no more than five people waiting in line at any one window. I only had one person ahead of me (I headed off to the left-hand side of the windows) and was on my way to one of only three baggage carousels in use well within five minutes.

If you had a mind to you probably could have played street hockey in the arrivals part of the terminal. There were the usual knots of people waiting behind the barriers for people arriving but other than having to walk from door 11 to door 3 it was an easy stroll with my baggage cart to meet my scheduled ride out. An extremely short and uneventful ride later I was dropped off at my hotel, just a short walk from the huge MBK mall area.

My friend said there was a great deal of activity on the third floor (he'd gotten there early and had time to kill) so that may well have accounted for the lack of people in Arrivals, but even so it was freakishly quiet by comparison to any other arrival I've made.

The sky above Bangkok was alive with fireworks last night for the King's birthday. It was quite a sight, but hopefully things will stay calm for a while and that'll be all the "rockets red glare" I'll see this trip.

If you're scheduled to be flying in soon, put your mind at ease. For now, it's "business heading back to usual".

krobbie
December 6th, 2008, 09:55

FOQ's? :scratch:

Thanks for the update.
I'm heading out in 2 weeks.

My guess is FAT OLD QUEENS. I dunno really.

I'm outa here (New Zealand) in 2 weeks, so I'm very happy the coast seems clear at this point.

Cheers
krobbie

Marsilius
December 6th, 2008, 13:14
Apparently tourism is down 70%. I hope the recovery is quick and the two sides find other ways to rip each others throats out without holing the boat.

Personally, I don't hope the recovery is quick. These self-centred people on both sides need to learn a lesson about the damage they are inflicting on their country. Simply to go back to the status quo is not, in the long term, an option. For the benefit of the country and its people, matters need to be sorted out one way or the other for good and only a very sharp shock will cut through the smug, self-satisfied complacency that has been the country's hallmark for years.

December 10th, 2008, 14:37
recovery will be VERY quick, dont worry...... because WHERE ELSE would people go ?
this country is far from perfect, its actually nearer to be completely IM-perfect.
but they all (as well as you and me) will come back...... and I am not talking about the FOQs only.....

December 10th, 2008, 22:33
... hasn't affected their currency though, it's still strong!

anakot
December 11th, 2008, 06:12
... hasn't affected their currency though, it's still strong!

Worst luck!! I wait...

DCbob
December 13th, 2008, 16:26
I arrived December 11, and no problems.
Now trying to get over jet lad from Washington, DC

Brad the Impala
December 13th, 2008, 16:31
Is that what they call trolly dollies these days?

jinks
December 14th, 2008, 03:16
I'll be arriving in 10 hours, fingers crossed.

December 14th, 2008, 12:06
I arrived December 11, and no problems.
Now trying to get over jet lad from Washington, DC

Who is jet lad and is the problem that he prefers to top?