PDA

View Full Version : Major change to Visa Exempt rules

December 4th, 2008, 07:12
Picked this up on another forum. Seems like 30 days goes down to 15 if you arrive from local country, but 90day rule has gone!

The officially translated new rules aren't up on the website yet.

However, a chap we know has done us an initial translation...

"A person holding a passport or other paper instead of a passport that has a citizenship that the Minister of State decreed in agreement with the Board of Ministers to let come into the Kingdom for a temporary period in order to tour according to the law and ordinances methodology and conditions of examination as "exempt" and to change the type of examination giving a stamp (year of) 2545 (day of) 16 of August (year of) 2545 Article 13)3) gives permission to enter the Kingom many times with a permision to stay in the Kingdom each time not more than 30 days counting from the day of entry into the Kingdom except that for an entry into the Kingdom by way of entry from a neighboring country the permission granted to stay in the Kingdom each time will not exceed 15 day counting from the day of entry into the Kingdom."

The 90 day in 6 month limit is no longer mentioned which is great. They only introduced that particular rule early last year and it's been nothing but hassle for their own immigration people because they had to sift through date stamps in cluttered passports and try to count up the total number of days a person spent in the country.

Those 90 days were counted on a cumulative basis, so whereas you were stamped in for 30 days, if you left again after, say, 4 days you did not lose the other 26 days. They would be held over, unlike when you leave having entered on a tourist visa where you lost any of your unused 60 days.

December 4th, 2008, 09:43
I'm sorry, but this post 'smells' to a Thaivisa post.
The information isn't on the MFA website yet, but 'a chap we know' did an initial translation.

quiet1
December 4th, 2008, 09:54
On last check, there are at least three threads running on thaivisa.com about the change. From what I can distill, crossing a land border now merits a 15-day permission to stay, whereas and airport arrival still merits the old 30-day permission to stay. There are reports of folks actually getting the 15-day stamp at land borders, and Phuket Immigrations was quoted as saying 15 days at a land border, 30 days at the airport, as well.

Apparently, the Police Order is official, but so far only in Thai, and most of the interpretations being posted on thaivisa.com were from members' Thai waives who were unfamiliar with the process and hence not sure how to explain it in English.

So, stay tuned!

Edited to add: Oh, there are changes to some other visas, too, like business and "married man's" visas.

December 4th, 2008, 10:06
... people need "30 days" for any reason, it is just as cheap to fly out of the country now with the budget airlines, especially if booked in advance, as opposed to the dreaded visa run.

December 4th, 2008, 11:14
I'm sorry, but this post 'smells' to a Thaivisa post.
The information isn't on the MFA website yet, but 'a chap we know' did an initial translation.

It wasn't Thaivisa, it was a closed airlines forum. Sorry if i confused you.

Maybe it is to encorage people to fly in the aftermath of the airport closure?

December 4th, 2008, 13:53
OK now I'm completely confused. I wish to come for 90 Days or so what visa do I need.

David

December 4th, 2008, 19:00
Edited to add: Oh, there are changes to some other visas, too, like business and "married man's" visas.

what got changed to the bussiness(non-immigrantion B) visa?

allieb
December 4th, 2008, 20:05
It would be better to scrap visas for all nationalities. After the pile of shit thats just gone on Who will want to go to Thailand except a bunch of old fat queens

December 4th, 2008, 23:26
It would be better to scrap visas for all nationalities. After the pile of shit thats just gone on Who will want to go to Thailand except a bunch of old fat queens

And half the populations of Burma, Laos, and Cambodia.

December 4th, 2008, 23:30
OK now I'm completely confused. I wish to come for 90 Days or so what visa do I need.

David

David,

as it appears you are in UK telephone / e-mail / visit (if pre-arranged) the Thai Consulate in Hull, who have an excellent web-site and are very helpful - far more so than the Thai Embassy in London. If all is in order your visa can be done, by mail, within three days.

joe552
December 5th, 2008, 02:37
Allieb, not all of us are old or fat, thank you. I am definitely skinny, a lot younger than some, and not such a queen.

December 5th, 2008, 10:40
Thanks for that GF. The site is good has forms and info of everything required.

Do I need a visa to go that for up North !! :compress:

December 5th, 2008, 12:06
Thanks for that GF. The site is good has forms and info of everything required.

Do I need a visa to go that for up North !! :compress:

Just remember to put on your woad and you should be OK! There is no need to go to the Consulate, and actually they prefer you not do and to deal with everything by post - the opposite, certainly a few years ago, to the Embassy in London.

ceejay
December 5th, 2008, 19:14
The new rule reads as if it applies to any travel from a neighbouring country, but you seem to be getting 30 days at the airport. I flew from Siem Reap to Bangkok on the 21st November and was given a 30-day exemption to 30th December. (Actually, I flew home the next day, so I missed the trouble at Suvarnabhumi by a couple of days)

allieb
December 5th, 2008, 22:02
Allieb, not all of us are old or fat, thank you. I am definitely skinny, a lot younger than some, and not such a queen.

Agreed not all sex tourists are fat old queens, but the majority seem to be when you look around the bars. Thailand is certainly loosing its appeal to the non sex tourist who just want a nice holiday. Older gays on the other hand will go to the most strangest and dangerous places to get sex.

Chao Na And half the populations of Burma, Laos, and Cambodia. Might not be a bad idea

quiet1
December 6th, 2008, 10:35

Scott, I apologize for not fleshing out my initial comment, but I read about the change on thaivisa.com, but since it would in no way affect me, I didn't bother to absorb the details. I'm a bit preoccupied now, but when time permits, I'll try to find the info from thaivisa.com and post it in this thread. Feel free to scour thaivisa.com in the meantime.

December 6th, 2008, 10:46
15 days by way of entry from a neighboring country

The 90 day in 6 month limit is no longer mentioned which is great.

Well I'll just plug this new scenario into my spreadsheet, past the page with what my "b/f" is saying he needs the money for in the first column, and find out THIS WON'T FIT either.

quiet1
December 6th, 2008, 11:05

Okay, this is not the post I originally read a few days ago, but it addresses your question:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Small-Tra ... 27242.html (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Small-Translation-Rules-t227242.html)

In part:
BUSINESS VISA: Under 7.1 (4) before, you had to:

"The business concerned must have duly submitted its audited balance sheet as at the end of the latest fiscal year."

Now, it's the 2 latest years. It seems to be in accordance with the new labour act which will allow work permits for 2 years. That's my personal opinion.

The clause 7.1 (5) seems to be deleted. Before, you had to show some profits and losses, audit, etc.

In case of visa for an investment, the Thai version was not mentionning 3 million baht. The English version was. Now, it's clearly an investment of not less than 3 million. That was 7.4 before.

December 6th, 2008, 21:08

............ so, no change then?

:cheers: