PDA

View Full Version : Police Ready to Move: Bangkok Post

December 1st, 2008, 22:06
Suvarabhumi Airport is surrounded and cordoned off by the Police and they are ready to move. It should be at least two days still before the airport can begin to reopen.

bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=132378

Ready to move

(BangkokPost.com)

Police on Saturday afternoon surrounded and cordoned off Suvarnabhumi airport as the prime minister denounced the virtual international isolation - signs a violent end game is approaching.

The no-nonsense police cordon came after PAD protesters scuffled with officers and kidnapped two earlier in the day.

Airlines and officials helped thousands of frustrated tourists escape through U-Tapao air base, but announced the besieged Suvarnabhumi international airport would remain closed for at least two more days.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat warned that the protests against his administration risked casting Thailand into international isolation.

The sigge "is extremely dangerous. It will make foreign countries lose confidence in Thailand. They will not fly their aircraft in or allow their citizens to travel here," he said.

Police in the morning were forced by angry demonstrators to abandon five large trucks near a checkpoint, which were left with their tyres deflated, and another security post at the airport.

Late Saturday 2,000 police officers were deployed to set up four more checkpoints on the road to Suvarnabhumi.

The AFP news agency quoted airport security Pol Maj Gen Rarshane Reunkomol as saying, "We have set them up just for weapons checks."

A peaceful end to the protest was still the goal, he said. "The government is still in the process of negotiations and I have asked my men not to use force whatever happens. The gunfire will not be heard from police."

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) rejected calls to negotiate. Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang will remain closed until Somchai resigns, said PAD founder and leader Sondhi Limthongkul.

"If we have to die today, I am willing to die. This is a fight for dignity," he said on a broadcast by his own ASTV station.

PAD opponents will rally on Sunday at Sanam Luang.

There was chaos at U-Tapao, a military airbase with almost no civilan flight facilties.

"We were originally told we were booked on a flight but they are reselling people tickets," said Mark Underwood, 23, from Southampton in England. "We have no money. I am annoyed and we want to get home." (with reports by AFP)

December 1st, 2008, 22:11
Long out of date.