PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Boys (Bangkok)

Surfcrest
March 24th, 2006, 10:46
The New Fresh Boys тАУ Not Fresh Beach Boys тАУ Not Fresh Boyz тАУ Not Fresh Boy X

It never ceases to amaze me why bar management put ugly gangsters out front of their establishments to lure patrons inside. Maybe IтАЩm alone, but when I see monsters out front I only assume they must have plenty more inside. You wouldnтАЩt see a successful clothing chain dressing their store front manikins with dirty second hand clothing from a thrift shop. This would be the last thing that would draw anyone into a club to shell out big money. For some bizarre reason many bars in Thailand have little concept of what makes the customer tick.

Fresh Boys has a dirty gangster looking dude with the long hair and blackened teeth literally dragging people off the street or standing in front of people / blocking their way. I wasnтАЩt surprised after dodging him on my way in to find the place completely empty. Surely he must have scared anyone that was even remotely considering going in there away. I was half expecting to find go-go gangsters (much like they have at The Boys), sporting ugly tattoos (The Colonel and I agree 100% when it comes to tattooed love boys) but I was surprised to see quite a fresh crop of young handsome boysтАжif fresh is to your liking.

With so few patrons, the boys / hosts are so hungry that they are on you pretty quick, but the place has a lot of promise with a few adjustments (starting at the door). They have table and chair seating, well lit with the bar behind the stage (?). It could be a little more comfortable and the show times could be a little more reliable, but it is worth a visit. The bar has different names in the guides, but the name painted above the door is simply Fresh Boys, almost as confusing as the X phenomena.

Surfcrest

wowpow
March 24th, 2006, 12:47
Surfcrest - I totally agree with you - a first for today!!! A year or so back they all had uniforms and while not the most beautiful they were mainly presentable. Now they are a bit of a rag bag of types from the be-suited ones outside Bar Lover (have they ever had a customer in that place?) to the motley collection at most bars. One or two notable exceptions mind. It's curious to see the boys move around from bar to bar. Some seem to work hard often over aggressively and some just attend.

The other change on 'Soi Boy' is the number of touts at the Silom Road entrance (not to also mention a few street hustlers there and by Wall Street) They get Bt100 for each customer that they introduce to a bar but often the doormen pinch their customers as they steer them to the bar they represent.

For all it's faults it is one of the most amazing streets in the world with a brilliant mix of gays of all ages from all over the world, straights sightseeing, groups of girls out for some titillation, vendors, touts, doormen, bar boyz popping out for something to eat, cabaret and show artists dashing from bar to bar - the list is endless. The one new competition is for the biggest brightest bar sign. Future Boys recently unveiled a 30 footer with brilliant colours and in several languages.

Your argument that bars shoud have attractive doormen was seen at Wild Wild West in Pattaya. They have had a series of gorgeous guys out front wearing jeans and boots with open leather waistcoats - flaunting six packs. They don't seem to last long though. I think they get tempted to move inside to work.

March 24th, 2006, 15:56
The look of the doormen at Wild West in Pattaya was what kept me OUT of the place. Viva la difference.

March 24th, 2006, 16:00
Although I've lived in Bangkok for over 15 years now, I still get confused with street locations. Can someone tell me how to get to the "Silom Rd entrance" to "Soi Boy"?

March 25th, 2006, 11:09
Ok, I think you reflected my initial opinion of the bar Fresh Boys, a nice bar. My second trip reflected yours agin in that it was empty and the boys and mamasan's all over you. I ordered a whiskey sour and before I had two sips there had been three mamasans and two boys sat with me, each one in turn asking, one after the other, where you from, where you stay blah blah. Sometimes it's nice to have the attention, other times, like that night, it was overkill, I paid for my drink and left my virtually full drink behind.

wowpow
March 25th, 2006, 12:19
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/BoyFuturedoorman.jpg

This is what they used look like on a Gala evening at Future Boys few years back

Surfcrest
March 26th, 2006, 11:01
You make a great point Fatman41.
With so few customers, the staff is naturally hungry and all over you.
It's like they train them in small talk school, the same school they go to at the airport.
While walking through the domestic terminal in Bangkok yesterday I finally had to say to the sixth guy, "listen man, you're the sixth guy to ask me all of the same questions"
He said back to me тАШItтАЩs my job to provide informationтАЭ.
I said to him тАШyouтАЩre the ones asking all the questions and me providing all the information not youтАЭ.
While he pondered on that thought, I darted past him to the check out counter.
He was standing beside the fifth guy that had just told me I was too early to check in even though my flight left in an hour.

I hate to digress but thins brings me to the DVD sex boys on Silom (hopefully the Colonel will know where in Bangkok that is).
One kid hasnтАЩt finished saying тАЬDVD SexтАЭ to you when the next one is starting in with the same line. Despite ignoring him, like you did the lastтАжanother has тАЬDVD Sex on the tip of his tongue.
Last year they started to recognize me as the тАЬf___ offтАЭ guy and left me alone, but they are like rabbits this year and there are simply too many of them.

It reminds me of the East Indian tailors on Beach Road in Pattaya.
They grabbed my arm a few times and I just stopped, looked down at my arm and then looked them in the eye without saying anything.
We just smile at each other now if I need to pass by.

Then there are the tourist survey folks that have a blockade set up around the Royal Garden Center. You can dodge them on second road and the laugh when they realize what IтАЩm doing. ThereтАЩs no where to go on Beach Road except under one of the billion baht buses driving by. I wouldnтАЩt mind the survey if it was like the Silom Road survey, but the Pattaya survey specifically asks for means of contacting you while in Pattaya. They cry about how they need that information to get their 20 baht commission so I flat out refuse to participate. Sometimes I wonder (as most of the boys doing this work are gay) if there is some personal interest attached.

HmmmmmтАж..digressing once again

Surfcrest

March 26th, 2006, 14:22
I wouldnтАЩt mind the survey if it was like the Silom Road survey, but the Pattaya survey specifically asks for means of contacting you while in Pattaya. They cry about how they need that information to get their 20 baht commission so I flat out refuse to participate. Sometimes I wonder (as most of the boys doing this work are gay) if there is some personal interest attached.
Surfcrest

They want to sell you a condo. Probably, out where JC parked his bubble gum.
Do what I do: Give them a phone number: the number for the police (Can find in TAT guide to Pattaya.) but any phone number: 6638-429876 will do; I don't know whose it is, but they're happy, I'm happy...so WTH--And if another one asks, tell him to see the first one.
And if you pass that way again, and he remembers you?... "Oh, no, you write it wrong. It's 6638-429867...428967...426789"

March 27th, 2006, 11:09
I know this is probably wrong, but when I am stopped on the street I have recently started doing a very poor deaf mute impersonation, gesticulating with my hands to my ears, a quick shrug of the shoulders and then into a tricky set of finger movements. I find that if you carry this on long enough, the person who stopped you begins to look crestfallen and when you walk away they remember you and never stop you again.

Please forgive me but desparate times = desparate measures.

Surfcrest
March 27th, 2006, 11:29
haha....

Then you haven't been approached yet by the deaf people handing out cards.
That should start a pretty funny / animate sign conversation someday.

Keep smiling :flower:

Surfcrest

March 27th, 2006, 11:41
A friend of mine used to specialize in picking up gay boys who were deaf - on the basis that they couldn't phone him up the next day. Now there's TXTing, of course

wowpow
March 29th, 2006, 11:23
I just found this lovely photo, on exboard World of Men, of a guy who is a Soi doorman/freelancer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/BoyTwighlightII.jpg