PDA

View Full Version : 2000 baht per day to cover hotel costs for stranded

anakot
November 29th, 2008, 15:26
As a current recipient of the above I hope there are others stranded who can benefit also.

Applies to any hotel so long as you have doco's showing circumstances.

fedssocr
November 29th, 2008, 18:20
I have been wondering about that Bt2000. How does it work?

anakot
November 29th, 2008, 22:24
At check in I was told of the room rate which in this case is 1750 baht. I can charge remaining 250 on food or whatever and anything over 2000 I pay.

They will bill government for the 2000 so at check I provided evidence of cancelled flights and was not asked for credit card imprint or any payment whatsoever. I don't expect any problems. They are as taken aback as everyone at what is happening.

fedssocr
November 29th, 2008, 22:27
Thanks. Here's the US Embassy's instructions as well:
Information for American Citizens - November 29, 2008

The Thai Foreign Ministry has arranged for credited compensation for stranded foreign travelers. This compensation consists of 2000 Thai baht credit per day for hotels and meals at those hotels. It is our understanding that this credit is available at any hotel in Bangkok (guest houses and serviced apartments are not included). Americans who have been unable to depart because their flight was cancelled due to the closure of the airports should show a copy of their passport and air ticket to the hotel front desk for the 2000 baht per day credit to be deducted from their bill.

------------------------
Of course I happen to be staying at a serviced apartment at the moment so I guess I am out of luck at present unless I move again. I will have to check with them tomorrow at the front desk.