PDA

View Full Version : ?Flights From Pattaya

anakot
November 28th, 2008, 21:29
Does Pattaya have an airport and if so is it capable of international flight size jets. I keep hearing rumours that those of us stuck in BKK may be able to fly from there. Info would be appreciated.

November 28th, 2008, 21:45
Does Pattaya have an airport and if so is it capable of international flight size jets. I keep hearing rumours that those of us stuck in BKK may be able to fly from there. Info would be appreciated.

Unless you have a life or death need to get out of the country, just wait it out.

anakot
November 28th, 2008, 21:48
Yeah I am waiting it out forever if necessary.
But could someone please answer this question so I can satisfy pushy bf who for some reason wants me back!
Thanks

November 28th, 2008, 21:50
The airport near Pattaya is called U Tapao.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-Tapao_In ... al_Airport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-Tapao_International_Airport)

bucknaway
November 28th, 2008, 21:51
here is a link to the Pattaya International Airport.

http://www.utapao.com/index_en.html

November 28th, 2008, 22:22
Does Pattaya have an airport and if so is it capable of international flight size jets.

Yes it does, anakot, U-Tapao near Sattahip (about 40 minutes from Pattaya) as has already been mentioned.

There are usually three charter flights to/from Russia each week, passing over Pattaya at around 7.30PM. This has recently increased and there are a number of international flights passing over every day - I have no idea where to/from, nor have I counted them, but I have seen the planes for the last couple of days (and one is just going over now, 2321 hrs local time)!

Unless you (or your pushy boyfriend) happen to have your own "international flight size jet", I can't really see what practical use this information is to you.

Oh, forgot to mention that the Pattaya International Balloon Festival is on again this weekend with flights leaving early morning and late afternoon from the Thammasat University ground, next to Bira circuit. Destinations vary, and in-flight service is limited.

November 28th, 2008, 22:24
You can have a small charter jet fly up from Singapore and take you and seven buddies back down there for around $27,000.00. How urgently, exactly, do you need to get back to your bf?

fedssocr
November 28th, 2008, 22:45
Thai Airways are launching some flights from U Ta Pao to get people out of the country. But most of their fleet is stranded at the closed airports. I think I read they were flying an old A300-600 to Singapore to shuttle tourists out. The airport is apparently quite small and not equipped to handle lots of passengers. Only room in the terminal for about 400 people at a time. Not a lot of immigration staff. And so forth.

But apparently some other airlines are planning to use the airport as an alternate for now include Malaysian. Check The Nation and Bangkok Post websites for news about this.

Bangkok Airways also has regularly scheduled flights from there to Samui and maybe Phuket.

November 28th, 2008, 23:06
The problem is not the size of the airport, which is capable of handling most aircraft, but the lack of immigration and security facilities. While the immigration staff and computers are relatively easily set up there, the equipment required for mandatory security checks is not and was often paid lip service to with check-in effectively being carried out at the Ambassador - something they may not be able to get away with now that things are more public.

anakot
November 29th, 2008, 06:00
Let me give your imagination some food.
Today there are two CX flights returning to Hong Kong and I want to be on one

November 29th, 2008, 07:39
I think you'll have more success by contacting Cathay Pacific, rather than telling us.

anakot
November 29th, 2008, 15:24
Thanks to all for the links to U-Tapao Airport. Very helpful and almost useful. Went to U-Tapao where there is absolute chaos with 1000's exiting.

The upside is on the return to my hotel I get the room next door and its now covered by government 2000 baht per day allowance.

The useful links and quickness of response (juiced with a tinge of bitch... how I like life) underscores the importance of this forum and the usefulness of this forum.

Well done and thank you all